1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I buy a FQ75?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by PeteMan, Jun 13, 2002.

1. PeteMan

PeteMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently decided to enter the widescreen market and being a bit of a brand snob decided I like the look of a KV28FQ75. I selected this model for the following reasons:-

1) Like the cosmetic appearance of the Sony
    2) Picture in the shop was great
    3) Wanted a 100mhz 28inch widescreen

Thought I'd check the reviews for this set on the net and have discovered all the problems that people have had. Please could someone answer the following questions for me:-

1) Is it now safe to buy a KV28FQ75?
    2) Has the KV28FQ75 been discontinued as it is no longer in the brochure but is still on the Sony website?
    3) Does the scrolling bar problems affect all Sony widescreens?
    4) Is the recently launched KV28FX66 (which I presume replaced the KV28FX65) OK?
    5a) Will the recently anounced KV32FQ80 be OK?
    5b) Will there be a KV28FQ80?
    6) Should I delay my purchase for a couple of months or not bother with Sony at all?
    7) Should I buy a digital set or an analogue set with a Pace digibox?
    8) Why are Empire so cheap (£999 for a KV28FQ75). Are they selling grey imports or is the KV28FQ75 discontinued stock?
    9) Considering all the problems is it safe to buy a Sony online?

Many thanks, Pete

2. Bluetyler

Bluetyler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

OK I’ll try and be objective here:

1. Depends if your lucky enough to get a decent set. They seem to be very popular and Sony shift bucket loads of them. Like you, I loved the stylish looks and the glorious picture and opted to buy. I bought one on the 27th of May online and it does have the bar problem. Not major, but irritating once you see it.

2. Its not in the Sony Centre Brochure but is available as you say. The FQ75 is being replaced in September with the FQ80. See the news section for more info. Basically a similar set but with a ‘memory stick’, surround & and ‘new improved version of Sony's detail-enhancing DRC-MF’. So you could wait but there are some good online deals on available on a range of sets if you don’t need these extras….

3. No

4. I believe so, others may have input.

5. Sony have only announced a 32FQ80 see: http://www.whatvideotv.com/news/fra...atvideotv.com/cgi-bin/displaynews.php?id=1866[/url]

6. Entirely your choice many have had such a bad experience with Sony over the FQ75 its put them off ever buying Sony again. I’m still sitting on the fence for now. I’ve had 5 Sony TV’s over the years and all have been superb until now. Hence I’ll wait to see how my own FQ75 problem is resolved.

7. I bought the FQ75 over the DX100 because I have a Pace Cable STB and an AV amp and did not need the digital tuner or the Dolby surround on the DX100. Also The FQ75 allows you to still view analogue teletext.

8. Bought my FQ75 from empire who price matched another web trader. I do think both models will be wound down later this year.

9. If you buy from Empire it is. Seriously, they have been fantastic. They sent an engineer out pronto with the Sony ‘fix’ and when I said it did not resolve the issue they immediately offered to replace the set. They arrive on Monday and will unpack and set up the new FQ75 set and take the old one away. Also, if I’m still not happy I can ask for another FQ75 or choose any other model/brand. Stuff the high street I say.

So there you have it, take your chances, just make sure if you do take the plunge that you can get your money or an alternate set if you have a FQ75 with the bars.

Hope this helps.

JG

3. PeteMan

PeteMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bluetyle thanks for your comments.

Does anyone out there have a feel for the volume of FQ75's affected?

Went to our local Sony Centre and House of Fraser yesterday. both deny having any complaints re FQ75 (despite selling loads). The guy at the Sony centre did say that he had had a memo from head office saying that if anyone had this problem then Sony would arrange for a new board to be fitted.

Unfortunately the analogue sources for the TV's in both shops was so poor that I could not tell if there were any problems with the display models.

Looked at alternative sets in HofF. The Loewe Aconda looked very nice but due to poor signals it was not possible to get an idea of the picture quality. Found an Aconda on Empire for £1300 + £300 for stand + £300 for video. Not sure if I can quite run to that kind of money.

So basically back to square one. Perhaps I'll leave it a week and see how others get on with resolution of FQ75 problems.

4. Bluetyler

Bluetyler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well folks, just got my new FQ75.

Immediately set up my scrolling bar test by switching to an audio only channel on my cable STB.

And....

NO BARS!!!!!!

I mean, not even a hint of a rogue signal feeding to the display. I've got a solid black screen just like my old set! :D

My only complaint is that the geometry on this set is not quite as good as the last unit. Slight dip on right top, and right bottom. Luckily I should be able to correct this via the service menu. Focus on is fine, teletext is crisp and clear.

I'll keep an eye on the set tonight for any sign of the bars, but with the curtains drawn I could see the bars on the previous unit quite easily. Now absolutely none! Halleluiah.

I sincerely hope everyone else out there has some sort of satisfactory outcome. I know how annoying the last few weeks have been, so I can only imagine how those long time sufferers of the dreaded bars must be feeling. However thanks to you all as I seem to have had a good result. If all of you had not highlighted this problem in the first place I fear I would not have had as good an outcome.

Cheers,

JG

5. chrismoore

chrismoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just agreed with the company who sold me my Sony 32FQ75 to take it back I am going to exchange it for a tv from a different manufacturer. I have had thee of these sets and all of them have suffered at least two major defects, one of them had four. I will never buy another Sony product again.

6. RichieS

RichieS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Who in their right mind would pay £1300 for stress?

The set doesn't work...you shouldn't even consider this

7. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    PeteMan,
    Buy the Loewe Aconda from Empire @£1300, choose a nice AV support from say, Alphason @£200 ish.
    Save yourself the scrolling bars problem and it is a far superior television in every other way too.
    Try and price match from John Lewis or similar to gain long term back up service support after swap out ends.
    Personally, wouldn't consider FQ75, it's shortly to be replaced by FQ80 anyway, as already mentioned above.

8. PeteMan

PeteMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spoke to John Lewis in Bristol today. They will only match prices from other stores (not Internet only operations) and then only if item is in stock. Therefore they would not match Empire. Note that the other store does not have to be local.

Is there anyone else that sells Loewe cheap (must have at least one retail outlet) that I could use to drive the price down at JL?

9. sparkle999

sparkle999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Peteman, suggest you search for Loewe or Aconda on this board, a few people have been through the same loop, you may pick up what you need from previous posts.

10. PeteMan

PeteMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Short list (for tonight) is now:

Sony KV28FQ75 £999 from Empire (I know I'd regret it)
    Loewe Vitros 6370ZW (28 inch widescreen) £1099 plus stand (don't like the Vitros stand so would porbably let SWMBO buy a bit of furniture to stick it on .

Can't find much about the 6370 on this board. Don't want 32 inch widescreen (too big).

11. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    PeteMan,
    Oh no...
    Whatever SWMBO says don't buy a 28"...
    Life is too short.

12. Bluetyler

Bluetyler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or you could try my trick.

Don't tell her it’s a 32". :) She did notice it was bigger but the stand somehow helped persuade her it was ‘acceptable’.

I did confess after a few days, but by that time she had grown to love the 'style' of the set anyway. Although she got her own back by getting me to fork out for a new carpet and suite to go with the new TV!?!

The price one has to pay for happiness. :(

JG

(P.S. Still no problems with my new Q75, stunning picture, no bars. On the basis of my extraordinary good fortune this week I think I'll buy a lottery ticket today!)

13. PeteMan

PeteMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Took a trip into town today to have a look at a few Loewes. The one I'm interested in is the Vitros 6370ZW (28 inch). Of the two (independent) retailers I visited one said that the product had been withdrawn until further notice, due to tube problems. The other said that they were still able to order from Loewe. I will E-mail Loewe to find out what the crack is.

More interestingly, when I asked the second shop if they did price match they said 'no problem'. When I asked if they'd match an internet site they said 'still no problem'. I then asked if the internet site needed a retail outlet (as per JL price match) they said 'didn't care either way'.

14. chrismoore

chrismoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason the Loewe 28" sets were withdrawn was because there was a chance that it might have a buzzing screen. It wasn't the case with all the sets. But to make sure Loewe recalled all of them. It says a lot for Loewe that they hold their hand up, admit to a fault and then sort the problem out. Not like Sony who for months denied there was a fault with their FQ and FS sets.
    If you read my message posted tonight (Decision Made) IMO these Tv's are among the best picture quality you can get.

15. PeteMan

PeteMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "There was indeed a "quality control" issue with the Vitros 6370ZW, however this has been rectified and is readily available."

It's nice to know that some companies own up when there's problems. This will be the set I buy. Now all I need to do is decide on a colour and find something to put it on.

16. sparkle999

sparkle999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Probably not appropriate as I am not sure if your set uses the same stand as the Aconda, but Badger said he/she had a stand they didn't want (refer back to sparkle999 thread)...

17. PeteMan

PeteMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, but the Vitros uses a different stand.

18. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I bought one of those Alphason stands(GAV85/10) for my Aconda. Its much bigger and cheaper than the original stand for the Aconda and it fits all my hi-fi as well. Check them out at www.alphasondesigns.com.

19. PeteMan

PeteMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Despite glimmers of hope that the FQ problems may be sorted I have decided not to buy Sony.

Tomorrow I shall be placing the following order:-

Loewe Aconda 9281 (Light Silver) with Q2400 chassis and Philips tube (article number 60401 X 72) @ £1290. Hopefully the picture will be as good as the 9381 that I saw last week.

Aconda Glass Rack (Green) @ £300

Viewvision VCR (Platinum) @ £265

Total £1855

My local store is matching the Robert Whyte price (before P&P) for the telly and the TV & Video Direct price (before P&P) for the stand and video. DVD player to follow whenfunds permit.

Many thanks to everyone who has helped a complete newbie through this selection process. When I first posted this thread I hadn't even heard of Loewe, now I'm buying one.

P.S. I've still never seen the legendary bars on any FQ demo sets!

20. PeteMan

PeteMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The good news: It's arrived!

The bad news: Ordered article number 60401x72 to get Philips tube as per Loewe Customer Support. 60401x62 (Toshiba tube) delivered. Have left the telly in the shop whilst they argue with Linn. Discussions continuing along the line of.....

Linn: 'you can't specify the tube on the order'
    Audio T: 'you told us we can'

Watch this space.

21. lgirus

lgirus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Peteman, are you sure the 62 is for the Toshiba tube?
    I checked my Aconda's Art.No. it is 59402 J 62.
    Do you think it is also Toshiba?
    I was told by the distibutor it is Philips.
    Maybe the Tosh. tube is causing my mask problems.

I have checked all the Art.No's of the TV's which they are selling here.Only the follwoing models have different than 62 (and of course the plasma :) ):

60406 L 63 Aconda 93102
    59444 L 72 Calida 5772 ZP
    59457 L 60 Xelos 5270 ZW
    59420 L 60 Xelos 5381 ZW
    59461 L 60 Cantus 3870 ZW

Well, I am a bit confused. Could this mean that the Loewe's here in Hungary are mostly with Toshiba tubes?

thx