Should I Buy A Dual Band Router ?

judethedude

I currently have a Billion 7800N which I am more than happy with as it solved a number of issues I had on our home network. However, I am now considering changing to a dual-band router as our home network can get quite busy as we have three laptops (g/n), two PS3's (g I guess), Sonos, NAS, a PC and an iPad 2. The Sonos, NAS and PC are all hard wired to the router so they're not an issue.

The iPad 2 is the only device that supports 5Ghz (as far as I'm aware) but it would be nice to have an uncongested access over wireless on the iPad 2 while my sons are streaming video (or playing online games) on their PS3's.

Will a dual band router give me this or am I expecting too much ?

If it will, can anyone please recommend a dual band ADSL modem router with at least two gigabit ports ?

Thank you.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Yes - as long as what you choose is dual-band & dual-radio, ie it can serve both wavebands at the same time and not dual-band single-radio, ie it's one band of the other but not both at the same time.

Bear in mind that 5GHz radio doesn't penetrate stuff (walls, doors, air,) as well as 2.4GHz so the coverage footprints may differ.

However, for one 5Ghz device, I don't think I'd bother.

judethedude

Yes - as long as what you choose is dual-band & dual-radio, ie it can serve both wavebands at the same time and not dual-band single-radio, ie it's one band of the other but not both at the same time.

Bear in mind that 5GHz radio doesn't penetrate stuff (walls, doors, air,) as well as 2.4GHz so the coverage footprints may differ.

However, for one 5Ghz device, I don't think I'd bother.

Thanks for the post Mickevh.

I currently have a Billion 7800N but will be sending it back after Christmas because of a problem. Instead of getting another 7800N, I thought it might be an opportunity to get a dual band router instead as I will be adding another iPad to the network in a few months time. I've been looking at the ASUS RT-N56u which is definitely dual band dual radio.

Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom