Should I buy a DAC?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by alcarmichael, Jan 19, 2008.

1. alcarmichael

alcarmichael

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I want to know whether my system will benefit from the addition of a DAC and if so which one? System comprises of :-

Marantz CD63 mkII KI signature
    Denon 2900
    Audiolab 8000A
    B&W 603

From reading this - http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41923&highlight=dac

It appears a big benefit will be for someone using a DVD player as their combined CD player, as I'm using a seperate CD player will I see an improvement in the sound quality?
    Will a mod be a better investment?

2. Ambo

Ambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I think the decision for you would be whether to upgrade your CD player to a newer model (with a more up to date in-built DAC) or to buy a DAC to add to your existing player. Don't know Marantz that well but I think that your model is relatively old?

Anyway, my only experince of a standalone DAC was in the PMC room at the Bristol Show a year or 2 ago. They used a cheapo CD Recorder for the CD transport and ran it through a Bryston DAC - absolutely awesome sound, which I'm sure also had a lot to do with the other kit in the system. A decent dealer will let you audition the options of new player versus adding a DAC.

Good luck :smashin:

3. alcarmichael

alcarmichael

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Yeah the Marantz is old, I bought it just over 9 years ago! Realising this perhaps a new CD player would be a better option. Does stereo equipment really improve that much over a few years though?

4. Ambo

Ambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Well we all get 'upgraditus' at some stage! Seriously though, if it's 9 years old then there is always the risk of something going wrong with it once you've shelled out for a DAC. If music really is your focus, then you might be surprised by the newer models.

Also, different players have different inbuilt DAC's. My CD92T has a Ring DAC. Don't ask me to explain it ('cos I can't) but it's well known as one of the most 'analogue-sounding' DAC's which is why people still look out for them (I think Arcam used it on some of their FMJ players too?).

Anyway, worth having a listen. :smashin: