Should I buy a Cyrus 5 amp or something else?

John hughes1875

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello all

I used to have a Cyrus 2, which I ran with a Rega Planar 3 and a MC cartridge. Sadly, the C2 has blown so I am looking to get a replacement.

I have been offered a Cyrus 5 amp, which I have tried at home and was pretty impressed with. I am wondering whether a Cyrus 7 or 8 amp is a major step forward over the 5 or whether the differences would be marginal?

Speakers are B&W 601s.

Many thanks!

John

The 8 series are a decent step up from the 5 & 7, the 8 can also be upgraded by adding a PSX power supply. It should sound a bit more full bodied and ĺess bright than your old Cyrus 2.

Unless you’re intending to upgrade the speakers, or would prefer a newer amp, then the 5 will be good enough for the 601s.

If there’s very little difference in price then the newer amps (certainly the 8) would be a better buy from a longevity standpoint (as a rule).

If you intend to keep your new amp for a decade or more I’d be inclined to go newer.

The new Rotels are pretty damned good amplifiers. Especially the 11 and 11 tribute.

Hi Paul

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

I am being offered the Cyrus 5 at £250 and am quiet happy with the 601s, so really just want a replacement amp.

I like the idea of the Rotel's bluetooth streaming, but obviously haven't heard the amp. I suppose, having been used to the Cyrus 2 for all these years, I may be biased towards the Cyrus sound. I also had a listen to an Audiolab 8000s and preferred the Cyrus.

FYI, the phone stage for my MC cartridge is a Project Phono Box II.

cheers

John

Hi Paul

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

I am being offered the Cyrus 5 at £250 and am quiet happy with the 601s, so really just want a replacement amp.

I like the idea of the Rotel's bluetooth streaming, but obviously haven't heard the amp. I suppose, having been used to the Cyrus 2 for all these years, I may be biased towards the Cyrus sound. I also had a listen to an Audiolab 8000s and preferred the Cyrus.

FYI, the phone stage for my MC cartridge is a Project Phono Box II.

cheers

John

That’s not a particularly good price for a 5.

I’d keep an eye on this. The 6 was a noticeable improvement if I remember correctly.

Or consider this one, better again.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I reckon for a little bit more you could get a Cyrus 8. I sold one 2 years ago (8vs2) for £350 and that was about the going rate. Cracking little amp.

I reckon for a little bit more you could get a Cyrus 8. I sold one 2 years ago (8vs2) for £350 and that was about the going rate. Cracking little amp.
Cheers - yes, also given the C5 doesn't accept a PSXr I do think a 7 or an 8 would give me upgrading options in the future.

Cheers - yes, also given the C5 doesn't accept a PSXr I do think a 7 or an 8 would give me upgrading options in the future.
I agree, I had (started with) an 8vs2 and never looked back. I just posted I long reply to someone else on my Cyrus journey, rather than cut and paste it here, I assume you can search for my posts to read it.. good luck and go for it!

I agree, I had (started with) an 8vs2 and never looked back. I just posted I long reply to someone else on my Cyrus journey, rather than cut and paste it here, I assume you can search for my posts to read it.. good luck and go for it!
thanks Phil. I eventually found an 8 for a good price and very pleased with it. Should stand a few upgrades on speakers, should I go with that in the future. cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom