1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I buy a Canon 300D now?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by shoehorn, Mar 7, 2005.

1. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi,
    Just after some views and thoughts really.

I've wanted a Digital SLR for ages and ages and was just about to go for the 300D when all the mumblings of the 350D were coming out...
    So question is.... are the deals on the 300D the best they are going to be now - around the £500 level - or should I wait to see if they come down any further?

I quite like the current Jessops 300D price / package here

Does anyone think that the price of the 300D will drop much further?

Or should I go for the 350D?

Really I need to know how much stock there is out there and how many sales are made,etc ,etc - then it'd be down to the trusty slide rule to work out the opimum price / timing on the purchase! :lesson:

Thanks for any thought....

2. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Cameras have gone like other 'home electronics'...out of date in six months to a year.. :thumbsdow

If you need the 350D then why not....if you are happy with last years top dog then save a wedge and get the 300D.....use what you save for a nice lens or three.. :smashin:

I won't even consider upgrading my 300D until either the picture quality is miles behind the newer versions or until I break it.. :eek:
    I'd rather get more lenses first.....will probably never even use the 300 to its full potential

3. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    My thoughts exactly... so when is the optimum time to buy... should I wait another 3 months and risk them all being sold... or should I get one now...?
    Or rather CAN I wait another 3 months......

4. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    they'll still be around for a while yet - you can still buy a new 10d and they've been discontinued for a while now.

I'd wait until the 350 hits the shops, see what the reviews are like and make a decision then. Plus, there'll no doubt be a stack of habitual upgraders selling their 300 so you could pick up a used bargain.

5. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think i some point you've just got to take the plunge. If the 20D was not out when i bought i then i'd have gone for the 300. Infact i did have it for one day, i never liked the feel of it, so i got the 20D instead. I think seeing as you're starting from scratch then i would go for the 350. Upgrading i'd not to be to sure. But it does have the new chip it has a larger buffer more mp. I think it's going to better at higher iso's.

I think from a start up footing like you have, then the 350 is something i'd go for (in your shoes)

But if you want the 300D then i'd get one now. It's bargain enough as it is

6. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  7. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    I'm actually in the same predicament as shoehorn, have a 50e 35mm that gets next to no use whatsoever so I'm hankering after a dslr (Canon to take advantage of the couple of lenses I already have) and the 300 at sub £500 price is very tempting but as the 350 can be had for under £700 its keeping me from pressing the buy button, gonna hold fire for a while though and let prices settle.

8. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    £200 towards some nice 'L' glass though......... :smashin:

9. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    I hear you John :D

10. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    John you have one already. I think that you would maybe lean towards the 350 if you was in the shoes of the lads. You lose money of course upgrading thast what makes you think about doing it (but then you have to think about all the use you've had out of it)

The 350 is a decent enough improvment in my opion to warrent an upgrade. Of the two if i had to buy one, i'd opt for the 350

11. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Only got 4806 on the counter so far..............Maybe I'll just get that 16.6 million pixel Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II.. :D :D :D

12. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/pro...id=95233&r=DEAL

£449 for 300D plus delivery of around £4.00. This is the body only version. If you already have Canon lenses then ideal. If you have enough for a 350d then PERSONALLY I would probably still go for the 300D and spend the remainder on good lens/es. I'd still want to hold them both before deciding finally tho' I think.

Some places still selling 300d for over £800 ... boy, you'd kick yourself if you paid that now LOL :)

However, the 300D had a special cash back deal before Xmas and around New Year in anticipation of the new model being announced. That MAY have begun to reduce local supplies significantly.

Not sure if it will get much, much cheaper as it will only do so if there are lots of unsold units within supply chain. Also, Canon need to be careful not to reduce overall perceived value of their pro-sumer SLR brand as that could work against new model.

If there are good supplies around still then my guess is we may see prices drop as low as the £399 point if some good bulk deals are agreed by retailers. We saw this with the Panasonic FZ3 recently which is available for £199.99 from one supplier, while still available from likes of Jessops for £349.

If you decide the 300d route then the gamble therefore is: buy at currently good price and be sure of getting one, or wait to see what happens to the price, but maybe risk losing out!

The new 350D is significantly more expensive at the moment, though prices will drop ... but there's always something better coming along so when do we actually ever buy something if we wait ;-) Again, I'd just go for decent 300d and lenses.

13. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mate my camera goes everywhere wih me i've easy got 2k shots since oct:laugh:

14. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi Shoehorn, I had a 300D from the first day of it's release and it served me well. I sold it a week ago and now have my order in for the 350D, I would like the 20D but a little to pricey for me. Have a look at this review from the same site Seany posted, but this one is more in depth. http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos350d/

I take a fare amount of studio/portrait shots so the main reason for me is the faster buffer/shutter. Here's some quote's from the review "What a difference eighteen months can make, in 30 seconds the EOS 350D managed to shoot a total of 57 frames compared to the EOS 300D's 15 frames". Quote 2
    "In RAW mode the difference between the 350D and 300D is even more stark, the 300D managed just nine frames in 30 seconds compared to the 350D's 32 frames". I think you know my advice by now, the 350D no contest. The cheapest I've found it was at www.bestcameras.co.uk for £659.99 with 18-55 lens, or body only for £619.98. Anyone found or find it cheaper please let me know.

ASH1 :smashin:

15. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Was about to point that out ... from US AND £25 delivery :D

You really have read all the small print on ebay these days! Though in this case the print was pretty big :rotfl: There is one guy in Canada selling them with an £80 delivery charge ... plus insurance :rotfl:

17. T0MAT01

T0MAT01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
  18. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take a simplistic view that 99% of current 300D users don't get anywhere near using the full capability of the kit, including the artistic skills required to take stunning photos....... & that definitely includes me :rolleyes: .
    Therefore unless you fit in the 1% bracket, or have a very specific need for offering of the 350 model, the answer is simple......300D.
    I have a 300D, moving recently form a Minolta Z1 point & shoot camera. I find my good shots are now better, but my crap shots are just "sharper" crap shots ;)

Apologies to all those who have more serious kit & feel the above is not true. On the flip side, in the bike world I've had a 180 mph bike, not because I could ride it to those speeds.......it was just because I knew it could & I wanted it. Who says kids grow up :devil:

19. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think really it's about what gives greater scope to grow. It's not about what you can do now, but what you may be able to do when you grow. So for that reason i'd say get the best camera you can afford.

20. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61

Hi Seany, that's my thoughts exactly as you learn more you use more functions. I know we all learn at are own pace, but it's good to know your camera is not going to limiting your ability.

ASH1 :smashin:

21. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've bought new 300d with lens kit via US ebay seller. Cost incl. P&Pand Insurance £345. May have to pay VAT and duty so add 20% = around £70. I think it's a decent price for kit and worth taking the VAT/duty lottery :)

Guy has good feedback so hopefully it'll turn up safe and sound. He also says he'll pay fees if any encountered on import and feedback seems to support he does!

22. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Good price...... :smashin:

23. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    99%!!!!!! :laugh: 593305 shots in pb i'm betting more then 1% know what they're doing http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/eos_300d

That figure is way off matey. But it is true that still the artistic side is the hardest thing to learn. I know exactly know what lenses i need and the type of lighing and style that they are suited to and how the riht seetings for the camera. I had no idea before about the right mm for portraits ect. I'm jut learning more and more. But then that's why i bought it. It's the only reason why anybody should buy one for the first time.

Still stuck with the kit lens and it's limiting the kind of shots i like to take at the momeant as it's only F4 which is pretty slow for street & portrait photography using available light, so i need the right lens and i have quite a few options and that's what i love about dslrs. Having had the 20D for about 5 months i've learnt more then i have in the last two years. Looking forward to the next two:)

24. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I think the point is 99% of people wouldn't find the 300D limited their shooting.
    If you have specific requirements where a 350 offers something a 300 doesn't then it's a no-brainer, otherwise i'd let the budget decide....for example a 300D with a 2GB card would be more use _to me_ than a 350D with a 128MB card...and so on.