Should I buy a Brand New Sony VPL-HS10 for £850

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by xaser1066, Aug 30, 2004.

1. xaser1066

xaser1066

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking at buying a brand new sealed box VPL-HS10 for £850. I know the unit is out of production but was conserns me is the bulb problem!!! Most of the reviews having this problem are US based does the UK model (if different) have the same problem? This will be my first PJ. I was going to buy a VPL-HS20 but this is half price - so I can buy a better surround sound setup with the change. Any suggestions :lease:

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well there's plenty of info about the HS10 on the forum, if it's brand new then make sure that the guarantee from Sony is valid (you haven't said whther this is a private sale or whether it's being offered by a dealer - whereis it for sale at that price ?)

If the guarantee is valid than if it has a problem with the lamp etc. you can return it to Sony for a fix - you might want to check what other people's experience of this has been - reading/searching on the forum, and make your own judgement. You could also ask the dealer (if it's from a dealer) whether they'd "stand over" the pj if it developed that problem, as it's a known issue.

Sean G.

3. xaser1066

xaser1066

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi thanks for the response. The PJ is on ebay and I have agreed in principle to buy it now - but I have not heard back yet whether its mine. The seller says it has a 1 year warrenty from sony, but if he is not a proper retailer is the warrenty still going to be any good. Thanks.

4. malcolm

malcolm
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hs10 for £850. I wish i could of paid that for mine! :blush: Well that was many moons ago now.

Alot of the HS10's have had problems with the lamp housing, mostly early models. Mine was one of these. I sent it off to Sony and it was fixed, replacement lamp housing and new bulb to boot. Very pleased as it was an ex demo model from nexnix. I didn't think Sony would make the repairs for free, but they did! :smoke:

I use my HS10 in a cellar so ambient light is not a problem. Since its been fixed i find it to be a top bit of kit. Only thing that you might consider as a problem is the fan noise, if you watch alot of soppy movies with out loud gun fire you may find the fan noise rather annoying.

Don't worry, buy it! :thumbsup:

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    eBay................... I'd make sure of what you're buying - try to arrange a pick-up in person would be my advice. You should at least satisfy yourself to the best of your ability about the sellers reputation. I've read too many "scam" stories about eBay to be attracted to kit like that without knowing exactly who the seller was.

Paranoid ? maybe.....................

Sean.

6. xaser1066

xaser1066

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I lost my bottle, I think it will be best to buy a vpl-hs20 instead and from a proper retailer. I believe this model is also quieter, does not have the bulb problem and has HDMI? The cheapest I have seen the vpl-hs20 is £1526 from Discount Electrical, has anybody seen one cheaper? Thanks for your help.