Should I buy a 3D TV with Active Glasses or wait for Universal 3D shutter glass?

nkrish

Novice Member
Thinking of buying a 3D TV (50in +).
Looked around a bit and found information on active and passive 3D glasses. Consequently, read a bit more on active 3D shutter glasses and there was talk about universal 3D shutter glass. Is this a reality? Do you know of some advances in this area? Is it worth waiting for a universal system to come before I buy a 3D TV (might require some persuasion from family ;))

redaprilia

Have a look at this youtube vid -- LG is the proper 3D using passive , only a few use active shutter glasses now .

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Go look at both active and passive.

Active gives a higher resolution but you may have problems with flicker and the glasses cost more.

Passive is lower res but glasses are cheaper and there's no flicker.

The problem with universal passive is specific glasses for specific sets may have a different tint, so universal glasses may tint your image more than the manufacturer ones.

Active glasses need to sink with a set so universal glasses may have problems with various sets.

How important is 3D to you? Do you notice flicker or drop in res? These questions (except I guess the first) will only be answered if you go see for yourself.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom