Should I buy a 2015 VW golf with the emissions problem?

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Chrisharry12345, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Chrisharry12345

Chrisharry12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,249
    Having looking at cars the vw golf estate seems the right choice on paper with the 2015 model being the right price. If I was to buy one is there a way to check to see if it has been effected and will be recalled?

They have said the 1.6tdi has been effected but Is this all of them? Bit of a minefield for someone only reading about it properly today :D

2. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,263
    They have contacted the current owners so make that a condition of purchase - you want to see the letter that relates to the car for sale. if that engine is involved it is all cars with it fitted.

We need then if you get the letter from the current owner (dealer if buying off one) I presume the free fix transfers but claims against VW might or might not depending if you have a good lawyer :D

Seriously though if you just want to buy one then but one. Make sure the free fix transfers and live with it. Or loom at another diesel from a non VW Group brand.

I am not sure anybody can answer if you should buy one - would I? Probably not but that is 100% my opinion.

3. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,942
    If you are looking at a single vehicle then get the reg and/or VIN and speak to a VW dealer.
    I wouldn't be put off myself

4. Chrisharry12345

Chrisharry12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,249
    Just been chatting with VW and the car I was looking at wasn't effected. Also seems it has had no impact on car values etc which is good.

5. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,405
    The problem was VW not being straight about the numbers and claiming it met an ultra strict criteria when it didn't. As far as I know there's no problem with the emissions themselves, they're in line with other similar vehicles.

Although it's not something I'd worry about if you're still at the stage of looking at cars on paper. Go and try a variety of models as you're more likely than not to settle on something else.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  6. slinger

slinger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    I have a 2013 Golf with the 1.6tdi engine and mine isn't affected so I would say a 2015 should be fine.
    There is a website to check but sorry I can't remember what it is.

7. FunkiestMonkey

FunkiestMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Yes if you must.
    But all new diesel cars should be banned.
    Put efforts into more efficient plug in petrol hybrids.
    P.S. I own a VW diesel. First time with a diesel. Never again. Poisonous stink buckets.

8. Longy00000

Longy00000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +476
    So petrol hybrids the way to go eh?
    Rubbish. Have you ever considered the masses of poisonous chemicals in a battery pack and then the masses of energy needed to extract those chemicals etc
    It's a much much bigger argument than " ban all diesels. ..poisonous stink buckets"
    Some mercedes diesels extremely low emissions not through dodgy testing but using 3 different catalysts on one system and injecting adblu into the system as well.
    Like I said it's a much bigger argument than that and an awful lot of obstacles to overcome before you get your utopia.

9. FunkiestMonkey

FunkiestMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    #

Calm down, Dr NOx. It's not an argument, but a generalisation of the vast majority of diesels on the road today that infect our kids and us at the point of use, which happens to be where we live, study, and work, i.e. where we are given no choice. I bet in 19th century London, you'd have said, what's wrong with coal? We don't need gas central heating, etc.

10. Longy00000

Longy00000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Your generalisation doesn't hold water though does it.
    Ban all new diesels. ..why ?
    In your generalisation a lexus 450 hybrid is a better option than a modern small diesel as it's not a new diesel which you have banned and it is a hybrid petrol which is your answer to pollution and stink buckets. Ok your comets are clearly well thought out and I am not sure what the coals and gas comparison serves.

11. FunkiestMonkey

FunkiestMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Not all petrol electric hybrids are the same. I was being facetious when saying ban all diesels. However if we did, imagine the tech the car companies would have to come up with.