1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I bother upgrading my speaker cables?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Godfather, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    I've been continously upgrading my AV hardware over the past 4 years but am still using QED original speaker cables. Am I likely to notice any difference by upgrading to something a bit more expensive, say around £10 per metre?

2. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The only definate way to tell would be to have two identical systems each using the two different cables, both playing the same source. You would then need to be blindfolded and have someone switch between the two systems not telling you which one you are listening to. Then you could choose which one is the best.

The other option is to spend the money anyway and let your subconcious mind tell you there is an improvement and that you havn't wasted your money.

Sorry to sound so bitter but this is something which I've bought into and wasted money on in the past only to find no noticeable improvement.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I wouldn't have thought that it would be a cost effective upgrade, especially for the rears. A more effective way to use the cash (assuming you were intending to recable the rears as well) would be to spend the money upgrading the rear speakers instead.

4. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tricky this one, I've some sympathy with Ian's point of view. However, I upgraded from QED Qudos to Chord Rumour (~£10/m) a few years ago and the difference was far from subtle.

See if you can get a nice dealer to lend you some cables for a trial. Obvious I know...

5. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Thanks for the comments. I wasn't going to re-wire the rears, just the fronts and centre.