• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Should I biwire my A90 / B&W 602 S3's?

EliteStu

Hi, well, I picked up my A90 today and it's now all connected up to my B&W 602 S3's I bought last week. I found some bargain used cables on eBay as well (QED Revelation with Airlok's). So, I am up and running. Source is currently "streamed" MP3's at 320kbps from iTunes into an Apple Airport Express (I gather this is "lossless" from laptop to Airport) connected to the A90.

Onto the question ("finally" I hear you shout)...
Should I biwire this setup? I am very new to all of this and although I understand the concept, I am not sure I want to fork out for another set of Revelation cables in order to biwire, unless I am likely to see some benefit.

I have literally run the A90 for 20 minutes this eve to test it all out and I am bowled over by the sound as it is, but want to get the most out of the equipment. So.. to biwire, or not.....?

Last edited:

brahms

I have never thought there was any benefit to biwiring, certainly never heard any difference with my speakers (PMC OB1s). Biamping though is a different story!

nrighton

With a 320Kb/s stream mp3 source you would not benefit from biwireing. The whole premise of biwireing is to seperate high and low frequencies in order to "clean up" the signal. With a compressed lossy source (mp3) there would not much to clean up. Save up for a p90 and biamp !!

Last edited:

EliteStu

Thanks to you both. OK, that makes sense.
At the moment I am enjoying the A90, but if a P90 "appears" then I may well be interested :devil:

The Punisha

Standard Member
Hi, well, I picked up my A90 today and it's now all connected up to my B&W 602 S3's I bought last week. I found some bargain used cables on eBay as well (QED Revelation with Airlok's). So, I am up and running. Source is currently "streamed" MP3's at 320kbps from iTunes into an Apple Airport Express (I gather this is "lossless" from laptop to Airport) connected to the A90.

Onto the question ("finally" I hear you shout)...
Should I biwire this setup? I am very new to all of this and although I understand the concept, I am not sure I want to fork out for another set of Revelation cables in order to biwire, unless I am likely to see some benefit.

I have literally run the A90 for 20 minutes this eve to test it all out and I am bowled over by the sound as it is, but want to get the most out of the equipment. So.. to biwire, or not.....?

I have to say bi wireing dosen't really do that much, but bi amping is a different story. the next progression would be to move away from an intergrated amp and follow the pre / power amp config.
One other comment: I used to own a pair of B&W 602's but replaced them with Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2's which are far more detailed and controlled. They used to be over £600 but you can get then for £350 or less.:thumbsup:

EliteStu

Thanks for the info :)
For the moment, I am more than happy with the B&W's. They seem to work nicely with the A90 :smashin:

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
I noticed some benefit when I bi-wired my B&W 604 S2s. The sound certainly cleaned up a bit, so I think that if (a) you can do it cheaply and (b) you use a source that does your speakers some justice then it's worth a go.

HTH

Clem

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom