1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I bi-wire rear speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by titanax, May 18, 2003.

1. titanax

titanax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pair of bookshelf Tannoys with bi-wire capability. I recently acquried a pair of floorstanders, so I have decided to use my bookshelfs as rear speakers.

Should I bi-wire the bookshelfs ? Does anyone bi-wire rear speakers just because they can be?

Is it also true that bi-wiring is more effecitve for a HI-FI setup but for HT, you won't feel the diff ??

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit expensive bi-wiring rears?

No point biwiring anyway, it's the same thing. Stop reading What Hi-Fi for one.

Bi-amping improves the left & right for for Hi-Fi, not sure if you can tell under AV use.

I've biamped my AV centre and my Hi-Fi speakers. Haven't biamped the AV left/rights.

3. funkster

funkster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought some Mordaunt Short MS914 floor standers (£300 - have I got a good deal?) and thought about bi-wiring - will it make much of a difference, is it really noticible?

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Better to buy a single run of higher quality cable, unless you intend later to bi-amp (IMO).

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. funkster

funkster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the Cambridge Audio A500 for £200 at the same time... Any good in your opinion? It's the first proper bit of kit I've bought...

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK as a first step into seperates.

Not worth biwiring.

When/if you upgrade in a few years consider going into a local stereo shop, as I've found advice from RS pretty laughable, and very biased.

8. funkster

funkster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That doesn't make me think I've got a good deal.... :rolleyes:

And how did you know I bought from Richer Sounds??

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cambridge Audio & MS are pretty much solely distributed from RS.

Your combo is fine, just be warey on your next purchase, or if you're if a newbie with no knowledge. For example, one previous poster said the RS guy told him to plug the subwoofer into the digital output on the AV amp!!

OK for experienced audio people just looking for a good deal (ie walk in, buy the item, then walk out)

10. funkster

funkster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll bear it in mind, thanks.

I still haven't heard the kit at it's potential, as the only thing I've played through it is mp3's through a Creative jukebox! So clearly I'm gonna hear better sound quality when I've hooked a cd player up and I'm not playing files that have been compressed to 15%!? Think I'll notice a difference?

I'm planning on sending this Creative jukebox back and getting the Sony HARD100 hard drive player, with built in cd player... I need the facility to play MP3's you see - I've got so many of them

If I rip a cd onto the creative in wav format, should I get an idea of the quality of my speakers and amp then?

And also, will the amp really sound better after 36 hours of use, as it says on the box?

11. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've found my amps bedded in after at least 8 hours running in (the initial running in time), so I guess yours will be same.

A CD sounds much better than MP3's, so yes consider a CD player sometime. Wait until your system beds in. I haven't heard your Cambrigde/MS combo, so can't comment. But if the sound is a bit harsh, consider a soft sounding CD player. Or if the sound is a bit too laid back/soft, consider a forward-sounding CD player.

Regarding MP3, use at least 160kps or higher. 128Kps sounds a little thin and bass in a bit whoompy and slow.

12. funkster

funkster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, most are encoded at 192+

Cheers Nathan

13. funkster

funkster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Theres just not as much clarity as I hoped - which I'm hoping is just down to the MP3's

I think I'll rip a wav file straight from a cd onto the creative and see how that sounds

14. monotone

monotone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys

Got found a pair of B&W Matrix 805 to match my fronts - Matrix 803 S2 ... do I need to bi-wire the 805s (as rears) to maximise SACD multichannel replay?

Fronts/Center using Audioquest Gilbraltar... what should I use for rears?