1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Bi-wire my front speakers ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mad Max, Jan 24, 2001.

1. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ian,

Most people hear a subtle difference when they bi-wire their speakers. Being this caused only by the listenner's mind, or being this a real difference, what's important is that it always sounds better afterwords. So, you should defenatly bi-wire your speakers.

How ? Easy ! Get a second set of cables like the ones you have now, same length, and connect like follows:

1) At the Amp, you're gonna use the same set of connectors you're already using today, but instead of having one end of one cable to each connector, you're gonna have 2 for each connector.

2) Remove the two plates on the speaker, connectors.

3) Connect + with +, - with -. By now, you should have L Black (amp) connected to the 2 L black connectors in the speaker, L Red (amp) connected to the two L Red on the speaker, and so on.

So, you're using 4 connectors at the amp, like before, but all the connectors on the speakers.

Good luck... (Is this babbling clear ? [​IMG] )

------------------
    An adult is just a kid with expensive toys.

Rui

2. johna

johna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  3. miketango75

miketango75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have no experience in Bi-wiring so would appreciate some advice and help on the subject.

I have KEF Q55's as my main speakers, these are powered by a Denon POA-T10 amp (the POA is connected to a Denon AVC-A10SE). I am considering bi-wiring my front speakers and am unsure if it is possible, how to do it, is it worth it and if so what cable is recommended. I am currently using QED Qudos cable.

Ian

4. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    if you really want an improvement that you can hear, you should bi-amp not bi-wire. This means connect the speaker outputs from one amp to the "high" connections on your speakers, and outputs from the other amp to the "low". You should experiment, most say that your tweeters should be driven by the integrated amp, the bass drivers by the power amp; but with my cyrus set up it sounds better the other way around.

5. miketango75

miketango75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks guys for the help.

Just thought you might like to know....I now have my speakers bi-wired with QED Qudos Silver Bi-Wire cable. I managed to get some larger banana plugs which cope very well with two cables.

I can DEFINITELY hear an improvement. The main improvement seems to be in the mid and top range. It sounds to me to be more defined and far clearer than before.

This upgrade is highly recommended.

I'm a happy man....well nearly, now which cable shall I replace next ?

Ian

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I have my Acoustic Energy AE 107c SE and AE 100 SE biwired off my Denon AVR 2800, using Chord Cable Co. Ley Line 4 silver plated install cable. This improves the sound vastly when listening to music, great dynamics in the top end and mid, since my Aegis sub is handling the bass.

We sell the Ley Line 4 at work if you are interested for about £5-6/m.

Rick

------------------
    'I am just a figment of your imagination.'

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
    Home Site: WD A.V.