Should I Bi-amp my setup?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by stereoasishead, Dec 28, 2006.

1. stereoasishead

stereoasishead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have owned the CA 640a for two years now used with the monitor audio B2's. I am very happy with the sound quality to date. Recently I managed to obtain a Marantz 7500 reciever and the extra speakers required.

Currently I have the pre-out fronts going into the 640a for use as home cinema fronts. For listening to music I don't use the marantz, just the 640a biwired. It has been sugested to me that I would be better off bi-amping my setup, is this really true or even possible?

Thanks

2. Arfa

Arfa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    So if I understand you correctly your thinking of biamping your stereo fronts, using the 640a for the low and the Marantz for the highs, yes? Not a good plan. Yes bi-amping can bring lots of improvement, however you need complimentary amps, that at the very least have the same gain.
    You will have two separate volume controls, one for the highs, one for the lows, which will be fiddly and you'll likely end up with too much emphasis on the the highs or lows.
    To bi-amp its best to stick to the same brand and model range of amps for both highs and lows. e.g. I used to bi-amp a Cambridge Audio A4 and P500, which were of very similar spec.
    Stick with your current setup, its sound pretty good as it is.