1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I bi-amp my Pioneer 2011?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Billilu, May 3, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Pioneer 2011 receiver this week, and it's rather wonderful. Having listened to music in its various modes, I'm happy to ditch my Marantz 2-channel amp. But since I have a 5.1 system and have no intention (yet) of expanding to 7.1, I was wondering if I should use the surround back option to biamp my front speakers.

Has anyone tried it and do they like what they hear? What are the potential advantages, and are there any disadvantages?

Someone said previously that you need banana plugs - surely it's one pair of wires in the fronts and one pair in the surround backs for each speaker?

PS The manual says something about removing some metal plates linking the hi and low end of my front speakers or I could damage the amp. I can't see any metal on my AEs - I'm worried I'm missing something

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do a search for "2011 biamp" it'll come up with some threads

Are your speakers bi-ampable? (they should have a total of four binding posts- a +/- pair for treble and a +/- for bass)

3. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Nathan. Yes, I've spent a lot of time using the Search engine, and performed the very search you suggested! However, the only discussion was a very brief one back in Feb when most people were still on waiting lists.

My speakers have + and - on hi frequency and + and - on low frequency, so yes.

4. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Billilu
    All the manual is saying is make absolutely sure that the hi and lo speakers have been electrically seperated before you bi-amp them. My speakers (different make to yours) have two metal bars that bridge the hi and lo +, - that must be removed before they are bi-amped.
    There is a large crowd of people who say bi-amping is well worth the extra money. I am not so sure. However, since it won't cost you anything more than another set of speaker cables, I would try it.

5. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I think the sound is smoother, trebble that could be a little harsh sounds better now. Also S sounds have improved.

I can't AB it so it could all be in my head. It will only cost you the price of some speaker wire to try it.

With MCACC on the 2011 is great for music IMO. Significantly better than my SR7300. Again I didn't AB, but things like S sounds I'm certain on. Try Lene Marlin's Playing My Game to get an idea what I'm talking about, particularly Sitting Down here. On other systems the S sounds can be harsh and unplesant.

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Second Lene Marlin's album, good recording. Biamping does improve the sound. I've biamped my system- gone back to normal powering for a while and it doesn't sound as good. Maybe biamping requires better components (amp/speakers) rather than mid-end amp & speakers?

Other good recordings are any of The Corrs. Bit soppy music, but very clear, natural with lots of detail. You can't use Oasis CD to compare differences in audio systems:)

7. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. I've bi-amped it now with some spare QED speaker wire I had lying around, and it's worked a treat.

I've noticed my older CDs (from the 60s and 70s) sound better in Stereo/Direct but newer or remastered albums sound better in Pro-Logic II Music mode. To my ears anyroad.

8. Sunil

Sunil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tend to listen to music in DTS:Neo, and find it sounds more natural than Pro-Logic II in Music mode.