Should I be happy with my Thompson PVR3?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by tobtan, Oct 31, 2005.

1. tobtan

tobtan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all!

I got my Sky+ for £65 thanks to this forum-cheers!!

Unfortunately I got a Thompson PVR3-the installer did not have a PACE even though I requested one.

It is OK-the picture is excellent and recording is OK but it makes a very low pitched humming noise which is apparent even through the video cabinet glass doors. Is it responsive but not instantly and does not always register the remote command occasionally.

My wife says she can't hear the noise and says if you guys hadn't pointed it out (in other threads!) I wouldn't have noticed it!

What do you think-should I complain and try and get a PACE or should I be happy?

Other Thompson folk-what's your box like?

Advice would be appreciated and thanks again!

2. Trev S-J

Trev S-J
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just had my 2nd Sky+ fitted this morning,engineer was knocking on the door at 8.05am!!!.He rang last night to confirm the install and I immediately implored him not to bring an Amstrad STB!,He turned up with a Thompson (of which I have no experience with).
    Although there is an audible high pitched hum it does not seem to be annoying enough to worry about,and, when I mentioned the (very)slight clicking of the hard drive to the engineer he said he will try the software down load again as this some times helps!!??.Having waited the usual ten mins for the second time that morning I have to admit that the HD did sound quieter(or it could be my ears playing tricks)Fortunately for myself,this STB is situated in the kitchen where the sound of any irritating clicks or whines will not be too apparent!(at least the"whines" from my two teenage boys about me hogging the sky+ in the lounge will have decreased greatly!!!!)
    Forgot to mention that I switched off the instant rewind as that always used to give me problems with my Pace PVR2 in the lounge, until I upgraded the hard drive to a Maxtor 160gb I then switched it back on.(I`ll make sure the Thompson behaves itself before I switch it`s instant rewind back on)

Trev S-J

3. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    My Thomson makes the same noise, it is clearly the fan inside the box.

Generally, I don't really notice it except late at night when I keep the TV volume down if the kids are sleeping. I must admit I have considered opening up the case and changing the fan, but I'm not really that bothered.

If the box was otherwise faulty I would have called Sky asking for a replacement Pace, but as it has recorded everything I have thrown at it so far I will keep with it.

4. xxTinkerbellexx

xxTinkerbellexx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Pace, Pace, Flippin Pace, Everybody wants a Pace. Why? Because one person said it was THE box to have and now EVERYONE wants one? Jeez!

Be VERY thankful I'd say. I had a Thomson installed last week Thu, and to say that I am more than happy with it, would be an understatement. You hardly ever read about Thomson problems on here or on DS do you? Nooooooo.... it's all Amstrad and now Pace is slowly becoming the new beating stick :rolleyes:

I am just grateful I did not get an Amstrad...the low level humming that comes from the box is hardly noticeable even with my tv on mute! As your Wife rightly said, if I had not read aboiut it I would not have noticed it either! The remote is slow but that is software related and affects ALL Sky+ boxes as far as I am aware...my friends have Amstrad & Pace and they all respond slowly - so I wouldn't worry about that. You'll soon get used to it :rolleyes:

So, in a nutshell count your blessings that you have a piece of equipment that works and you're not stuck with an Amstrad! :thumbsup:

5. tobtan

tobtan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that!

Yeah, I think I'll get used to the hummmmmmmmmm(!) and it's not as responsive as my old panny box but it's has been reliable so far - hope it lasts!!

6. gd2

gd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Thomson is incredibly loud. The fan is on all the time, audio regularly cuts out, the box locks up.!

There is no excuse for any of these boxes to be noisey, I have external hard drives that run silently. The fan in the Thomson has no exhaust vent and the simple inclusion of cooling slots on the top of the box would actually give the hot air somewhere to go!

7. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    Have you taken your Thomson box apart then?

I must admit depending upon how tired and grouchy I am dictates how much the fan noise gets on my nerves. I'm tempted to replace it with some sort of PC silent fan.

8. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    my wife is always saying I'm going deaf (normally because I don't listen enough :D ) but I guess I must be. I've never noticed any noise from my Thompson in regular use even with the volume off on the TV. In fact its in the bedroom and so if it made noise while recording I'd surely hear it when trying to go to sleep.

The only time I've heard the hardrive is if you turn the box off at the plug. When you turn it back on it takes a minute or so to boot up and I can hear the hardrive then.

9. Akcron

Akcron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Folks just got sky+ installed this morning..wanted a Pace , turned up with a Thompson oh well! i though at least its not a Amstrad, been testing it out all day no problem what so ever and does not make any wierd noises in fact very quite...record quality just as you see it on the screen also very happy with the sound quality through optical to my surround amp. Pity more progs are not in DD...so only time will tell to how well it keeps going...Akky :thumbsup:

10. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    u sure its the fan and not the disk spinning?

11. gd2

gd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's both the Fan and then the Hard drive. HD noisier when making 2 recordings. If this had been one of my drives at work I'd have replaced it.

12. sbaddison

sbaddison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi.

My mate has the Thompson & I have the Amstrad. He says his hum is worse than my tick so I guess I should be pleased :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Simon

13. Mad Mikeyboy

Mad Mikeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Whichever box you are given be it Amstrad, Thompson or Pace they should all have been made to a certain standard and if any of them fail or start getting noisy get it back to them until you get one that works the way it should.
    I was the same. I started reading on these forums that the Pace box was THE box to have. So I asked to have one fitted when I ordered it then refused to have any other fitted when the engineer called to arrange the install. As it happens he turned up with a Thompson which I let him go ahead and fit thinking I'll take my chances cause I couldn't be bothered with the hassle any more.

Guess what?????

Works a treat and is quiet as a mouse!!!

Generally when you read the forums your going to read about the unfortunate few who have a problem with their box and want to complain about it. Not the thousands of people who don't.

14. xxTinkerbellexx

xxTinkerbellexx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hear! Hear mikeyinmotion! :clap:

Until my Thomson develops a fault I shall continue to sing it's praises! :clap:

15. mikeycubed

mikeycubed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +910
    Hi folks, had my sky+ installed just over 3 weeks ago and i got the dreaded Amstrad PVR3 box :eek:
    Started clicking away as soon as the engineers left but switched off the instant rewind and i have not a problem since. It still clicks when it is recording but you cant hear it over normal tv volume.
    Touch wood that it keeps working as we couldn't live without it :clap:

16. F1ash

F1ash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My Amstrad PVR3 ticking is really bad - made even worse because I have all my equipment on hi fi racks but I have nowhere else for it to go. Even my GF who doesn't normally notice things like that could hear it over the sound system (turned up fairly high) from the other end of my 25ft lounge!

Very intrusive and totally unacceptable - will be calling Sky tomorrow and am not expecting them to simply give me a replacement :(

17. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    Defo the fan....or whatever it is connected to this lead that goes under the hard drive....does it look like a normal 3 pin fan lead?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Hotshot147

Hotshot147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Guys, ive just had my thompson box swapped for pace.The pace is completly silent and the picture is better as well.While the engineer was fitting the leads in the back i asked him if it had a 80gb hard drive he said yes.Then i looked at the box and it said pace pvr2 so i asked him again he assured me 40 hours recording.So i signed he left and i went to try recording ,and guess what everthing now takes up twice as much room. :mad: Do you think i should leave it or persue a swap for a pvr3, i'm otherwise happy apart from the fact i have been lied too. :nono: I hate liers ,the sky engineer said they have had no end of problems with amstrad and thompson.He also left my old control with me, i wonder if they have palmed me of with a refurb.

Cheers.

Chris...

19. Hotshot147

Hotshot147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Engineer coming friday with a pvr3 pace :thumbsup: i will believe it when i see it.Cheeky buggers sending a pvr2.If your not happy with a ticking amstrad or a humming thompson get onto them.Pace or nothing :smashin:

Cheers.

Chris...

20. Stanley_Cooper

Stanley_Cooper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well I just had a Thompson pvr3 installed today and so far i'm inpressed with the results although I have noticed it does indeed hum...

Could be worse considering I got the last Thompson box and all he had was the Amstrad one's!

Stan..

21. Spookyville

Spookyville

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    our pace v2 died on us totally after 2 years. I would say that pace are just as good/bad as the other makes...

22. Hotshot147

Hotshot147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes mate i agree pace are just as likely as others to develop faults,but it seems that thompson and amstrad on the whole are delivered to you faulty from day one. :nono:

Cheers.

Chris....