Should I be concerned about XP support ending?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by sarah_2277, Feb 21, 2014.

1. sarah_2277

sarah_2277
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have an old desktop which is about 7 years old. It's currently running on XP but I saw an article online saying the support is ending which means I will be susceptible to viruses etc. I do loads of shopping online, online banking etc, should I be concerned? I run a free antivirus (avast). It suggested upgrading to a different OS but 1) I am unsure of price, 2) will my old pc be able to run a different OS 3) I can't be bothered with backing up everything and reinstall etc, buying extra RAM

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,519
    That is the downside of buying a computer right before the operating system gets replaced.

Extended support means that the security holes that get discovered won't receive patches so there's more ways for viruses to attack your computer and as a result there's a higher chance one will get through.

1) It's usually around £75, Microsoft sometimes run offers (such as on the release of a new version) but I couldn't see anything at the moment.

2) Microsoft provides an upgrade assistant to check: Upgrade Assistant: FAQ - Microsoft Windows Help

3) Unfortunately with Windows XP being thirteen years old an awful lot of things have changed behind the scenes so a direct upgrade won't be possible.

3. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,917
    She bought it seven years ago.

4. jaaa1976

jaaa1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    we don't know your specifications of cpu,memory etc...but some older pc can run windows 7 home edition etc..so if you have some friends .. they can try to install new operating system first on your computer.And you can buy windows 7 home premium for 38 pounds.

5. spyder viewer

spyder viewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,285
    Microsoft will continue to provide info regarding viruses etc until 2015. It will not support software patches to combat them though. Third party internet security software may keep you protected or at least aware of vulnerabilities. It is 13 year old technology. You don't expect your car manufacturer to support 13 year old models, so why your computer? When you bought your desktop the latest version of windows was Vista. OK, people like to moan about it, but it would have more than met your needs. It's fine that you can't be bothered to back up everything: just be happy to lose it all when your computer crashes (and it will).

You need a plan for migration, buying postage stamps and using the machines in the library is ok.

6. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,917
    Agreed, supporting XP for so long has cost Microsoft a lot of money which people want for free.

7. sarah_2277

sarah_2277
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi jaaa1976, I am running XP home edition, versions 2002 - service pack 3. Motherboard: Asus P5VD2-X, Chipset: VIA P4M890, Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 1866 MHz, Physical Memory: 2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM, Video card: Nvidia Corp GeForce 7300GT, Hard Disk: MAXTOR 250G.

Would it be able to run Win7? Thanks for your help.

8. jaaa1976

jaaa1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi..I think it will able run win7 ..I was have similar older computers and they was able to run windows 7 2gb of ram is enough for run windows 7.If you have spare hdd ..just try install windows .

9. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,519
    While the system is certainly fast enough, that could be a problem. That was the very last generation of via motherboard chipsets for AMD/Intel CPUs and while they did update the drivers for Vista, I don't know if they ever updated for Windows 7. What does Microsoft's upgrade assistant say? There's a Windows 7 version as well.

10. spyder viewer

spyder viewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,285
    As time goes by, hackers will turn their attention more and more to the millions of XP users with their slowly crumbling internet security systems. Whether you hardware upgrade or not, get yourself something like this: Toshiba HDTB105EK3AA 500GB Stor.E Basics USB 3.0 2.5 Inch External Hard Drive - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Either when restoring a crashed old machine or transferring to a new one , it will make life easier. Even if you go out and buy a new machine tomorrow, still get one. ALL machines crash sooner or later. If you don't believe me, scan the forum for people asking advice on recovering their life's work from a crashed hard drive.

11. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,917
    True.
    Remember that hard drives are mechanical components in the end.

12. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,355
    I recently updated my brothers desktop which has the same cpu as yours, similar spec gfx card and hard drive, added 1gig of ram to make 3gb total and it now all runs better than it did with XP.

You can buy 2x2gb ram off ebay for a 'buy it now' price of £30 which would give you a very decent little pc. The effort of a reinstall and 1min ram fitting would be worth it imo.

Just googled that mobo and windows 7. The only snag you're likely to hit is with the sound driver, but apparently it uses the same one as the Asus P5B Deluxe, which there is a driver for, so should be ok.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014