1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I ask for money???????

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Johndm, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Just got the email below.. :cool:

Now I've had a few requests for use of my pictures, but only from people putting together a website as a hobby etc, but does anyone think that I should ask for a fee for this request?

regards

John
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Request for permission to use Copyright material

WestOne Services (WestOne) requests permission to reproduce material for which you hold copyright.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/668143/L/

Material we wish to reproduce the image of Airliner 668143 from your website.

WestOne Services is part of the Department of Education and Training in
    Western Australia, a government body responsible for vocational education and training as well as schools from Kindergarten to Post Compulsory Year 12. WestOne's brief is to provide training materials via the internet, television and educational publications.

We are currently putting together a printed resource primarily for Mathematics students for the School of Isolated and Distance Education (SIDE) but in time may be made available at cost recovery only to other educational institutions in Western Australia.

This material will be used in the following publication:

Albebra Module 2

Should you be willing to release this material, we would be most happy to include a suitable acknowledgement.

If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

You may wish to visit our website at www.westone.wa.gov.au.

We hope that you will be able to assist us with this request and look forward to your reply.

Yours sincerely

Janice Greenaway
    Intellectual Property Co-ordinator
    WestOne Services
    Department of Education and Training
    1 Prospect Place
    West Perth WA 6005
    Telephone: +61 (08) 9229 5350
    Fax: +61 (08) 9227 8393
    E Mail: janice.greenaway@westone.wa.gov.au

----------------------------------------------------------
    Message was sent using the mail interface on Airliners.net
    http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?id=668143

To uphold the good reputation of the photographer
    community, please try to reply to photo usage requests.

2. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    Now i don't know anything about copyright or about photography, but what i do know is that the picture you have is stunning. So why not ask for a bit of money for it, can't hurt can it.

3. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    I agree, they will have a budget to buy photos and will probably expect you to ask for cash. Not sure if you've seen sites like this, but Getty images is a good site to buy photos from. Have a look through here to guage how much you should charge.

4. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    More and more government agencies use the web to get their images these day at cut price rates or even free. Government agencies that request my images rarely have more than £25 to spend on an image.
    There doesn't seem much scope in this project for you to promote your name/work to further genuine trade... which is one of the very few reasons anyone would contemplate giving their work away.

Find out size of repro, if it's large you could justify trying for a bit of money.... but really don't expect much. Whatever you/they decide, make sure you get at least one copy of the publication.

It's often a shock to amateur photographers just how little money is being paid for images these days. I'm a bird photographer and the prices that magazines are paying these days is abysmal compared to what was paid 5-10 years ago.
    Good luck

5. paulc1

paulc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Firstly, I would be very flattered , however, if the organisation is making financial gain from using your photo, then you should be paid something, you do take some cool aircraft photo's mate. Welldone :)

6. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think i've told you john about this guy who takes picture at places where you get to drive sports cars for the day ect. Two of my friends spent about £50 between them on 4 10x8's.

Now anybody who shares your love of aviation, but does not have the means or skills to take photos like yours would gladly pay for photos. I think you need to get some cards made up john ;)

7. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've sold a few photos and bits of video footage over last couple of years and Pink Fairy is right. Money is pretty low for photos - but alot of companies cry the poor tale and then pay up in the end when you tell them to forget it.
    If you werent expecting to make any money from the photo at any point then see what you can get, but maybe having your name in print is reward enough? I fear the government agency will just go elsewhere if you request too high a fee.

8. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    ask for money FOR THE PERMISSION TO USE (NOT OWNERSHIP) <- VERY IMPORTANT never sell them the image, find out the intended use of the photo, if its to be mass distributed etc

get some money out of YOUR hard work.

the reason prices have come down recently is due to the reduction in cost of technology, a standard SLR body can be picked up for £300 these days and a digiSLR is only £500, ten years ago that would be unheard of!

i have an arangement with a local student newspaper, they publish my photos and advertise me as the photographer, and they get me press passes etc in exchange, its a win for them as they dont have to pay for the images, and i win as i get the photopasses for gigs i otherwise couldnt get, i get photos for my portfolio and i get advertising for my site

9. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    That's true to some extent but I think much of it is due to the proliferation of photographer's websites on the internet. The work of the Amateur photographer has never been so accessable to those looking for images for publication... a picture researcher is just as likely to go to google these days, especially if they think they can get something on the cheap from a amateur.

Bottom line is get something for your work... doesn't have to be cash or a free/discounted product all the time. Publicity is very important as well, if your name is recognised by staff at a mag or whatever, then your future unsolicited submissions won't be tossed aside without being examined.

Good luck to all amateur photographers who get a bit of money... some pro's complain about being undercut and moan about amateurs threatening their profession but that's their problem :smashin:

Cheers,
    Andy

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The picture in question is superb....absolutely lovely shot,and like several others here i'd suggest it's well worth a fee.

11. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Thanks for all the advice chaps.... :smashin:

Sent em an email to 'test the water' and see if they wanna bung a few quid and some freebies my way.. :laugh:

Now I'll just wait and see what happens.
    Will keep you all posted.

Regards

12. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I'd certainly ask for payment if it was my image. I do a fair bit of image buying as part of my job - working on government funded projects as well as corporate ones and have yet to come across one without a budget for photography.

If a fee is decided upon, be sure to get a detailed account of how your image will be used and make sure they stick to it. Many picture agencies I deal with request specifics about how you intend to use their images and adjust their pricing accordingly. So small 2x3 inch usage might cost £50 where as a 20 foot exhibition display may cost thousands.

13. photoman

photoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Find out exactly what they mean by 'Should you be willing to release this material'. To me, that means handing the rights of the photo over to them. Similar to what 'mr jones' said above, they should be paying for permission to use the photo, not own it.

BTW Stunning photo!

14. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Just got this email......................

John

We are building resource for educational student in Western Australia, the books are not sold for profit, they are sold at cost recovery only, our development is done on very tight budgets and we have no allocations for fees for use of 3rd party copyright, we would however be able to acknowledge you and supply you with a copy of the resource upon completion for your reference.

Hope you are able to help us, if you have any further queries do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Janice Greenaway
    Intellectual Property Co-ordinator
    WestOne Services
    Department of Education and Training
    1 Prospect Place,
    WEST PERTH WA 6005
    Telephone 61 (08)9229 5350
    Fax 61 (08) 9227 8393
    E mail janice.greenaway@westone.wa.gov.au

So do I agree...........or refuse?????

15. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Let 'em use it, if only to be a published photographer.

16. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Like I already said, sometimes seeing your name in print is reward enough - Sounds like thats what you will get in this case.

17. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Fairly predictable response, I've seen similar wording so many times before. I'd generally try for at least £10 for 'costs' (but that's not really worth the effort for overseas requests) but it's purely down to your own judgement. A copy of the publication is always useful but do chase them up on it if it doesn't turn up... I've heard 'we'll send you a copy' many times with no result :thumbsdow
    Cheers,
    Andy

18. Centurion

Centurion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with stevegreen. To me having my photos published would be better than money if only for the near future then you could try selling your photos to a stock photo library to earn a wage that way.

You can sell your photos here http://www.alamy.com/

19. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I asked if they would consider a fee for use.................
    But they pleaded poverty..guess the Aussie govt are a bit strapped for cash at Christmas time. :laugh:

Told them they could use it as long as I get credit, and that they send my a copy of the publication.
    So am I a whimp or what? :blush:

20. paulc1

paulc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Your not a wimp, but a photographer with a photo in a magazine,...there for the world to see,...but next time they will have to get their cheque book out. WELL DONE!!