Should I add a subwoofer?

mikebh41

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Been looking into the above but getting quite confused on how to set it up. I currently have a Naim Nova with Harbeth P3 40th Anniversary edition speakers. the big question is how easy is it to tune the sub in and also I want to use it for my surround sound system as well. Now I have looked at the SVS 3000 Micro as that has the app to tune it in plus you can save settings so one for music and one for films. But I have also looked a the Rel subs but not sure how to set those up unless you use a microphone and software. I maybe be making this harder than it should be but the more i read the more i am not sure what's the best way to go as its not a small amount of money if it just does not work.

Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike. The Harbeths could certainly benefit from a sub.

The SVS sub has a parametric equaliser available through the SVS app which will be a good help setting up the sub and getting rid of any room issues (usually humps and bumps) in the sub response.

Ps, a mic and a copy of REW is a big help in getting the sub set up perfectly. A bit of a pain initially, but well worth the effort.

A measured in room response is really quite necessary to know where to start with the subs equaliser.

Those speakers are standmount so you're missing a lot of bass 80hz and under. For music there's still fair amount of bass under that and for movies there's especially a lot. Plus demands on sub for movie FX, your speakers cannot handle. Getting a sub WON'T help out your speakers by removing low bass as your system isn't equipped to do that like a AV amp

You can either use the left and right pre outs into a sub, or the high level outputs. So make sure a suitable sub has stereo RCA inputs or stereo speaker level inputs.

Then set subwoofer crossover to roughly around 80hz (to match speakers) then adjust sub volume. To get phase right is more difficult as it's not automatic.

Typically once it's set you shouldn't really need music and movie modes. Although like me I prefer sub a few dB lower for music, and movies a few dB higher.

I would recommend using high pass if possible, but in your system I don't think you can unless you use the naim as pre amp only and using power amplifier.

Should you? Yes. Well worth the effort. I've always been stricly stereo and then I added a small sub. I can't believe how much i was missing. Especially with films and a lot of electronic and classical music.

Yeah but because you have standmounts try and look for high pass really will help

Those speakers are standmount so you're missing a lot of bass 80hz and under. For music there's still fair amount of bass under that and for movies there's especially a lot. Plus demands on sub for movie FX, your speakers cannot handle. Getting a sub WON'T help out your speakers by removing low bass as your system isn't equipped to do that like a AV amp

You can either use the left and right pre outs into a sub, or the high level outputs. So make sure a suitable sub has stereo RCA inputs or stereo speaker level inputs.

Then set subwoofer crossover to roughly around 80hz (to match speakers) then adjust sub volume. To get phase right is more difficult as it's not automatic.

Typically once it's set you shouldn't really need music and movie modes. Although like me I prefer sub a few dB lower for music, and movies a few dB higher.

I would recommend using high pass if possible, but in your system I don't think you can unless you use the naim as pre amp only and using power amplifier.
Hi should of mentioned I don't use the speakers for movies as have a an AV amp and kef speakers for that. That's why I was confused if the same setting would work for both as apposed to the SVS sub where you can have up to 3 different settings. Was looking at this route as thought it would be cheaper and probably more successful than changing the speakers as pretty happy with them and they got rid of the boomy bass my rear ported floor standers produced. But sometimes you just wish for that little bit more. Currently have a BK sub.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom