1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I accept bad convergence on a 21" Sony

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Jon Weaver, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +648
    I have learned to accept bad convergence in the corners of my 36" Sony, as I think that its a side effect of a large CRT.

If I have a white line in the corner, the red comes outside the line.

I have just noticed that I have the same problem on my new 21" Sony.. When there is anything white at the bottom right corner of the screen, the RED is not completely lined up.

The rest of the screen is fine.. Its just the bottom right.

Am I being over picky, or should I get this fixed?

Jon

2. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon

For you to even mention it shows it is probably niggling you slightly.

From reading your other threads you seem a little bit sick of the hassle with tv's and I understand your feelings. If i was you though i would at least attempt to 'try' and get it fixed.

hth

3. Paul G

Paul G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the covergence prob is marginal then I'd leave it myself. I don't remember ever getting a set with perfect convergence. Altering it improves it in one part of the picture but can make it worse in another part.
    But if it's really bad then yes get it looked at.

:)

4. John Sparks

John Sparks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon , i used to fit rotational magnets in Sony sets . we had problems every now and again . they came from Sony spares though i can't remeber the pt number . it's quite easy to do and i think this might help you out as i think you have a slightly gaused up set . do you leave it in standby more than depowering it ?

5. JPC

JPC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Misconvergance on such a small screen is totaly unacceptable.....
    unless of course it is due to an outside source, such as a magnetic feild from a speaker...... or the TV is always left in standby mode (switched off by the remote control).

Self degausing circuits only operate when the mains supply is switched on (from off).....

If the TV is only ever switched "off" and "on" via the remote, the self degausing coils never get to operate and over time the earths magnetic field starts to influence convergance and purity.

Regards JOHN