Should games such as Super Stardust HD count in the AVF Games Index?

Should PSN titles be included in the AVF Game Rating Index?

• Total voters

BradleyLove

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just a quickie.

In the AVForums Game Rating Index [PS3], should PSN titles such as Super Stardust HD, Super Rub-a-Dub, Calling All Cars, etc be included on the list?

Or should it be restricted solely to full-price purchases?

Vote now!

I voted yes. Super Stardust has had some of the most play time on my PS3,to me that makes it better than a full price game!

I was going to add a review thread for this (as I own it and its the only PSN game I play regularly) but then wondered the same thing. I think it should be added.

Had to put a vote for no there as the review mechanism being used and attempted is a very worthwhile objective that could be adversely affected by trying to include PSN downloads (or Live Arcade, demos, etc). Where would you draw the line in order to maintain consistency? Does a free tech demo count as a game etc?

Had to put a vote for no there as the review mechanism being used and attempted is a very worthwhile objective that could be adversely affected by trying to include PSN downloads (or Live Arcade, demos, etc). Where would you draw the line in order to maintain consistency? Does a free tech demo count as a game etc?

I'd draw the line at something that you pay for. Demo's and free stuff should not be included, but if I'm paying for something (however little) I'd like to know if its any good beforehand. What about if Warhawk was download only - should that be excluded?

If you are paying for it then I think it is worthwhile. Free downloads should not be reviewed. But the whole point of the review system is to know what you are buying before you pay for it. On that basis I think it is useful, even if the game is only a fiver.

I think new and paid-for games should be included - so a yes to Super Stardust.

I do think demos or (essentially emulated) old paid-for IP should not, so things like Smash TV or Doom* should not be reviewed, as no effort has been made to reinvent them. Stuff like SUper-Rub-a-Dub is odd, as they are basically tech demos but you pay for them. Maybe a judgement call on all PSN stuff?

Note: these are on Xbox Live before anyone starts yelling they havent seen them on the PSN

I totally agree with the last few posts, 'New'/Paid = Included, 'Old Rehashes'/Freebies = Out the window :D

Question is will people rate a budget PSN game more highly just because they think it is good value for the price.

I would probably give RFoM an 8 and Super Stardust an 8 because it is really good for the price but doesn't have the lonevity of the former. If I had to rate them as equal full price games Super Stardust would have to drop a point or two. It all depends on what slant the reviewer puts on it so thats why I don't think it is fair.

I'd say have two polls. One for retail games even if they go on the store if they have BD version they are retail and one for PSN download games only. Obviously in the future the lines may blur between the two.

I would probably give RFoM an 8 and Super Stardust an 8 because it is really good for the price but doesn't have the lonevity of the former. If I had to rate them as equal full price games Super Stardust would have to drop a point or two.

But that is a fair review. All magazines employ the same review principles, if the game is budget it will work in it's favour if it is a little low on content or a bit buggy.

Price is part of the review score.

PC magazines generally have a whole section devoted to budget re-releases, where they rescore games, sometimes up, sometimes down :)

What about this then?

An index for full-price games (be they download or not), and I would classify Warhawk as a full-pricer.

An index for PSN games such as Stardust, Rub-a-Dub, etc (i.e. those games under £15).

No demo versions count (so only the full version of Rub-a-Dub is applicable); it must be full, complete games only.

PS1/Arcade Classics don't count either (so no Wipeout or Mortal Kombat 2).

This way we get the best of both and be able to inform people of what cheapo games are good, and what full-whack games are good.

This sound like a fair compromise?

What about this then?

An index for full-price games (be they download or not), and I would classify Warhawk as a full-pricer.

An index for PSN games such as Stardust, Rub-a-Dub, etc (i.e. those games under £15).

No demo versions count (so only the full version of Rub-a-Dub is applicable); it must be full, complete games only.

PS1/Arcade Classics don't count either (so no Wipeout or Mortal Kombat 2).

This way we get the best of both and be able to inform people of what cheapo games are good, and what full-whack games are good.

This sound like a fair compromise?

I personally think that is the way to go. You don't want Rub a Dub looking liking it is a better game than Oblivion just because it was cheap and sold a ton more copies ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom