• NO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I DONT CARE ONE WAY OR THE OTHER

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters

robby***

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am targeting this question at the 5gb - 20gb+ market. When you consider that most DAPs are built with non removable batteries and are basically disposable items with a life span of 2-4 years, do you think they should have removable battery to extend their life or to avoid expensive repairs if battery fails after warranty has expired.

I think they should definitely be removable. For the reasons that you state, and also because then I can carry and use spare batteries, which is great when travelling. There is no way I´ll ever buy anything with a non-removeable battery.

Björn

Yes and no, Apple claims they wouls significantly increase the size of it's units, but Sony manage it so i'm not sure if it would make much diffference. Sure I would like one but I would hardly ever use it, I would buy one just in case like I have with my mobile. The only problem is these batteries always sell at rip off prices, so I would just end up buying crappy one's from ebay which are heavier and die sooner.

Absolutely

It costs £30 or so to buy a new batt for your PSP, Sony HD5 or Creative whatever

That other companies charge more and then "costs" for a new battery is nothing more than pure greed

Whats that? x company need money to motivate them to pick up a screwdriver?

As the HD5 battery is about 30-40 hrs, Apple could well squeeze more than the pitiful figure of 2 hrs for video playback

Actually, the amount of money Apple have made, I'm surprised they haven't improved their batteries. 20 hrs is optimum for them, in reality, shave couple of hrs off

Imagine having a remote control with a non removable battery. You wouldn't. So why cant you change the batteries in an iPod, pathetic.

well the Companies producing these DAP's possibly figure that if you can change the battery everytime it dies, then you'll do that instead of buying a new player... which obviously hurts their revenue streams :nono:

however would you really wanna be using some 'chunky-clunky' outta date model as opposed to some super-sleek nu-version every couple of years?

Yes, removeable/exhangeable batteries to extend product life. Even when I upgrade, I usually hang on to old players and will still use them from time to time. Either that or an external battery attachment like some minidisc units.

Yes. But with an important plus: They should be available for at least 5~6 years after the product is officially obsoleted. Currently it's very frequently not the case with replacement batteries being discontinued soon after the obsoleting of the product, and makes a mockery of the point of replaceable batteries as well as practically torpedoing the argument of people who rave about certain current players on the basis of replaceable batteries.

Ironically, Apple is possibly the only manufacturer with replacements for the built-in batteries (itself or 3rd party) readily available for all it's HDD DAPs to date.

extremelydodgy said:
Yes. But with an important plus: They should be available for at least 5~6 years after the product is officially obsoleted.

Absolutely! I wish the makers could agree on standardized batteries somehow. I mean, all those lithium-ion batteries are flat, rectangular thingies with 3.7V - it´s not like DAPs have vastly differing energy requirements. If there were two or three standard lithium-ion battery sizes, then these could be produced in large quantities (=lower price) and over many DAP-generations, thus also allowing older machines to keep running. It has worked for normal alkaline batteries, why not for li-ions?

rojack said:
well the Companies producing these DAP's possibly figure that if you can change the battery everytime it dies, then you'll do that instead of buying a new player... which obviously hurts their revenue streams :nono:

Yes, I guess that´s their reasoning, and they are probably right. The customer may be to blame for this, too: we just shouldn´t let the companies get away with that kind of behaviour, we should refuse those products. Yes, that´s unlikely to happen, judging by the Ipod sales. Still, why do they get away with it? How would a laptop company fare if it decided to make its batteries non-replaceable?

Silly poll. There is simply no reason or benefit in NOT making the battery removable, from the consumer standpoint.

Couldn't the HDD players just use AA's or AAA's? I wouldnt mind the units being a little bigger, or the battery life not so great as long as I knew I could still use it in 5 years, and get batteries from any shop. As it is, I bought a 4 x AAA external battery case on ebay for my HD5, so I should be OK (as long as the unit holds out)...

Poodle, you bought an AAA battery case for your HD5? Why not just get a spare OEM battery for it? The HD5 DOES have a repalceable battery!!!

^ I know, and I have ordered one, but you can't exactly buy them from Tesco's, and fully charged, now can you?... ;)
I haven't used it yet, but it's nice to have it as backup up in my bag, or on the move when I havent got my adapter with me..

^ extra spare batt for long plane flight or holiday

Prob cheaper to replace than sending in your MP3 player, where you can be charged however much they want/get away with

Also, improve lifespan of DAP. Most companies stop replacing built-in batts for older models

What is the mAh of the lastest iPod battery (the 20gig 4th gen or the new 30 gig video assuming they are the same with near 15 hours playback)?

Problem with using AA or AAA batteries are that they are too big, well the wrong shape anyway. My sony MD has a single AA battery and it lasts for AGES (using alkaline). But there is a big round bulge in the back, not really that much of a problem but can be annoying.
As far an I'm aware AA batteries will hold alot more power than say the HD5's battery. and especially if you get the engergiser lithium AA, that holds ALOT, I've done tests i think 2 years ago for my year 10 science project, i used a discharger designed for professional RC cars (radio controlled cars, they use 6 cell sub-c batteries, recently 3700mAh has been released) they are expensive devices with LCD display with all the info. My project was about what battery held the most power (mAh) and what the internal resistance was, also the average voltage. The discharge stopped when there was .8 volts per cell, i did it one cell at a time. The discharger can go up to 20 amps but these little batteries can't take that much so I think I put it down to .5 amps or something. Im not too sure on the results i think it was the duracell was the longest lasting alkaline, i think near 3000mAh, but the energizer lithium blew them all away at like 4100mAh, and plus it could also take a much higher amperage (on a separate test). Only catch is that its like 3 times the price. Cost is always a good compromise, like ferraris and high end stuff, although not everyone can afford them, but they should still be available. Question is, are there really any high end HDD daps out? I havn't heard of any.

As I have said before; my disagreement with built-in batteries has to do with the rather questionable business ethics involved. See, out of choice and own free will, I upgrade my DAP every 6 months. So in reality, a built-in battery should not bother me - but it makes me angry that company's (especially Sony) slap an expiry date on something that costs £200.

When you reach the end of your battery's life in 2 - 3 years, what do you do? Do you send your DAP in so that the battery can be replaced or do you just go and get a new one? Well - in the iPod's case it is actually not too much of a problem. You can have your built in battery replaced for around the £40 mark which is only slightly more than buying a battery for the HD5.

However Sony as it is, is clearly taking the ****. The Vaio Pocket I owned before which cost £250 when I bought it would have cost an extra £100 - £110 to have it's battery replaced by Sony's Central Service.

By having such extortionate service costs they virtually dictate your decision as whether to upgrade or replace the battery.

Not even mobile phones have built in batteries why do we have to put with it? Do you think digital cameras, camcorders or laptops would fair well if they didn't have removable batteries?

PS: Oh and I seriously don't hope anybody thinks that the picture used as my avatar is really me.... hmmm... thought I'd just make sure... I just noticed there's recently been a craze on here for using pictures of ladies as your avatar - whether you are one or not... :)

Apple charge £50 if you take it to an Apple store, I don't have that option so to send it through by post costs £75!, these are the new prices aswell!.

johann1979 said:
PS: Oh and I seriously don't hope anybody thinks that the picture used as my avatar is really me.... hmmm... thought I'd just make sure... I just noticed there's recently been a craze on here for using pictures of ladies as your avatar - whether you are one or not... :)
To show our taste in the lady kind...I'll refrain from commenting on your taste :D

LFC_SL said:
To show our taste in the lady kind...I'll refrain from commenting on your taste :D

I was waiting for this comment! See - since I am gay and happily 'married' to my partner I couldn't give two flying ****s what women look like on this planet. I love girls and can appreciate the beauty of a woman, but it is not my cup of tea - for that reason I thought that since you are all plastering 'pretty' women all over the forums I am very happy to represent the 'uglier' ones. For the simple fact that it doesn't matter to me what women look like on this planet... :D :D :D

lol no idea. I don't know if you're serious or joking, so I'll call a truce?

No I'm not joking :) hehe ---- and besides, the woman I have chosen to represent me is no more offensive on the eye than Cherie Blair... :)

No, I meant your rant against me and Shadow (I think we're only two who do this) re our representing "pretty" women as you put it

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom