Should /could I buy an SD LCD TV

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by tigertim, Feb 8, 2009.

1. tigertim

tigertim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes thats right, I mean SD not HD. MY 12 yr old Nokia has just died, and I have already registered for the SKY+HD box. I have an 8' screen and Sony HS20 projector home cinema system which will be the main if not sole display for viewing any or all HD content. However, we do occasionally of course sometimes just flick the TV on to see the news, or watch the soaps etc, so my question is, should I bother with a new HD TV. From what I gather on reading around the forum, SD on a HD telly is pretty poor due to scaling down and this is more pronounced on a 1080i than than a 720 set.
    Sky I beleive transmits HD @ 1080i ( is that Interleaved as opposed to Progressive ??). Would I be best getting an SD set, if such a thing exists these days, and if so, any recommendations?
    Maximum size is 32" and if this is a non starter, then should I get
    720p / 720i / 1020p or 1020i or am I way off track here?
    TYIA
    Addendum - I have been reading more, and rather think a 32 " Plasma may be the way to go - the LG ( this one ) looks nice?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  2. boxrick

boxrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Picking up an SD flatscreen nowadays will be close to impossible.... a good compromise it go HD Ready without going 1080p....

that LG plasma you mention is excellent for normal television and Sky HD :thumbsup:

3. tigertim

tigertim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks...seems I am on the right lines after all then ! All I gotta do now is convince the wife:rolleyes:

4. tigertim

tigertim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK wifey was easily won over as it happens :thumbsup:
    A sexy black LG 32PG6000 plasma is being delivered on Wednesday for the rather excellent price of just £397 + £10 shipping.
    I cant believe how comparativley cheap this beauty is.
    As a complete newbie to Plasma, can anyone suggest a thread or other reading which can help me to ensure that it is all set up correctly, I read about things like IR ( Image retention? ) and so on, so want to ensure things are set up as good as possible. The setup will be as follows, so any comments on my connectivity etc much appreciated also.
    *Sky+HD box to be delivered (sometime real soon I hope)... meanwhile Sky+ STB
    *STB HDMI patch lead will go to one of 2 x HDMI wall sockets - one is connected to the TV and the other to my Sony HS20 PJ approx 10 metres away. Most of the time this patch lead will be connected to the PJ wall socket, as pretty well all HD viewing will be on the PJ - occasionally I may choose to plug the HDMI patch lead intothe TV wall socket instead and view HD on the plasma screen TV.
    *STB to TV via Scart for "normal" SD viewing.
    *Sound to TV via the scart, and also to Yamaha amp via SPDIF for surround sound.
    * DVD via component to PJ
    * Playstation2 via SVideo to PJ
    * All other Tvs in house (4) connected via sky eye remotes and regular RF coax via loft amplifier as now.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  5. bigjohn

bigjohn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    SD viewing from the SKY HD+(set to 720p) using the HDMI port with the TV set to "Just Scan" looks really good, better than the already excellent Freeview. HD viewing is outstanding!

My DVD player lookes better using AV2 (Full RGB) rather than component?