Quantcast

Should Big Ben Chime to mark the EU exit on the 31st Jan?

Should Big Ben Chime to mark the EU exit on the 31st Jan?

• Yes

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • No

Votes: 33 40.2%
  • Don't care

Votes: 25 30.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sonic67

Distinguished Member
I'd totally argue with both you and your reflection because inevitably, they'd both be wrong.
I admit I was wrong once. I thought I'd made a mistake.

You'd be working in "Spitfires" and "the Daily Mail" at every opportunity.

Sonic67

Distinguished Member
I'd be interested to know why it costs the Government £500,000 to have some scaffolding erected.
BBC News - Big Ben: Public can fund Brexit Day bongs, says PM

Costs for this work, alongside testing and ringing the bell, were estimated at approximately £120,000. In addition, existing restoration works would be delayed by two to four weeks, at a cost of £100,000 per week.

EarthRod

Distinguished Member
Bugger bonging Big Ben.

Lets have a firework display overlooking the Thames, like the one celebrating the New Year.

Cliff

Distinguished Member
So far the poll indicates that the country is in favour of them chiming, 66%. (38% yes, plus 28% don't care, and using 'remainer' maths as I assume they don't object to the bongs so can be safely added to the total) and only 33% against.

Cliff

Distinguished Member
Costs for this work, alongside testing and ringing the bell, were estimated at approximately £120,000. In addition, existing restoration works would be delayed by two to four weeks, at a cost of £100,000 per week.
So soon after bonging on New Years Eve. Its a pity this wasn't planned for. Cost seems excessive.
I'm all in favour of marking the occasion, but willing to compromise on this. Perhaps some loudspeakers?

For me the 31st is not just about leaving the EU.

It is about how the referendum was frustrated and almost rejected over a period of three years, but finally the 'peoples message' was hammered home in a General Election.

Make no mistake- it was a fight with Parliament and the establishment who knew better. But democracy won in the end.

IronGiant

I'm not really in favour of celebrating the 31st because it's just a start. But I'm not going to go all sour grapes if others want to celebrate. That's the difference between me and a moaner... :)

Aj33

I'm not really in favour of celebrating the 31st because it's just a start. But I'm not going to go all sour grapes if others want to celebrate. That's the difference between me and a moaner... :)
if hadn’t been for the last 3 years or so, I doubt many would be asking for some kind of marking.

DHarrison1221

Standard Member
BBC News has reported this would cost £500,000 - is it really worth it when that money, along with the majority spend within Parliament could be used for better things?

Sonic67

Distinguished Member
Two points from an interview on Eddie Mair's LBC show.

1. It was well known there was an intention for Big Ben to be used for this. Note when this thread started. There are rumours in westminster the clapper has been removed on the order of remainers to sabotage that.

2. What is Boris/the government doing? They were elected to "get Brexit done" and then they won a large majority. Why isn't the government doing anything?

Cliff

Distinguished Member
2. What is Boris/the government doing? They were elected to "get Brexit done" and then they won a large majority. Why isn't the government doing anything?
It has gone rather quiet, considering we are leaving in just over a couple of weeks. Why no reports from Brussels etc. Should we be worried?

Aj33

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
It really isn’t that much money. I mean a decent football player will earn more than that in a week.

London’s Fireworks cost £2.3m to London. (Net cost). And that is a recurring event. You could argue that Sadiq Khan better should divert that money to the ...

We don’t celebrate enough.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
It really isn’t that much money. I mean a decent football player will earn more than that in a week.

London’s Fireworks cost £2.3m to London. (Net cost). And that is a recurring event. You could argue that Sadiq Khan better should divert that money to the ...

We don’t celebrate enough.
It's about the cost of a decent second-hand MRI machine. Salford Royal doesn't have one at all (it's broken and has been for - no idea how long). The money could be spent on that - that would be worthy of a celebration so that people don't have to have an MRI scan in a portable scanning machine in Bury Hospital Car Park.

Bigfingers

Distinguished Member
It's about the cost of a decent second-hand MRI machine. Salford Royal doesn't have one at all (it's broken and has been for - no idea how long). The money could be spent on that - that would be worthy of a celebration so that people don't have to have an MRI scan in a portable scanning machine in Bury Hospital Car Park.
Strange, I had a family member have an mri at Salford Royal last August.