Quantcast

Should Big Ben Chime to mark the EU exit on the 31st Jan?

Should Big Ben Chime to mark the EU exit on the 31st Jan?

• Yes

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • No

Votes: 33 40.2%
  • Don't care

Votes: 25 30.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sonic67

Distinguished Member
Good to see you carrying the adversarial nature of Brexit into the pre-post-Brexit era. Well done you.
And well done to you for the same. I didn't really care until I saw twitter and on here is full of the remoaners again.

You could just stop in and watch Netflix. Or you could accept democracy and join the party.

If people want to fund it what's the problem?

How many remainers kept crowdfunding Gina etc to try to stop democracy? So how's this any different?

Big Ben can bong 2300 to remind remainers of what happened at 2016?

SteakAndCake

Distinguished Member
A symbolic, expensive but ultimately pointless exercise seems to me to be the choicest and most appropriate way to mark Brexit. Ring the dumb bells for the dumbbells I say.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
And well done to you for the same. I didn't really care until I saw twitter and on here is full of the remoaners again.

You could just stop in and watch Netflix. Or you could accept democracy and join the party.

If people want to fund it what's the problem?

How many remainers kept crowdfunding Gina etc to try to stop democracy? So how's this any different?

Big Ben can bong 2300 to remind remainers of what happened at 2016?
Well done me? I support Brexit my friend, you seem to have lost track. Your continued use of the phrase remoaners is pathetic by the way. Really embarrassing.

I'm more than happy if it's crowd funded and not paid for from my taxes, as I've stated several times this morning.

Sonic67

Distinguished Member
Your continued use of the phrase remoaners is pathetic by the way. Really embarrassing.
Because it's used about those who are still moaning we are leaving? How?

I have no problem with those who accept we are leaving now or those who accepted the vote in 2016. I work with one. He voted to remain, accepted the result didn't go his way on day one.
I'm more than happy if it's crowd funded and not paid for from my taxes, as I've stated several times this morning.
So what's the problem?

I wasn't bothered, but the more I see remoaners (and I mean those remainers who are moaning) bothered by it, the more it will lead to people throwing in cash.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
Because it's used about those who are still moaning we are leaving? How?

I have no problem with those who accept we are leaving now or those who accepted the vote in 2016. I work with one. He voted to remain, accepted the result didn't go his way on day one.

So what's the problem?

I wasn't bothered, but the more I see remoaners (and I mean those remainers who are moaning) bothered by it, the more it will lead to people throwing in cash.
I don't see ringing the bell as a 'remain/leave thing', more as a 'waste of my elected officials' time and money thing.'

Did we ring the bells when we joined the EU? Or common market or whatever?

Save crap like this for major events of National pride - defeating Nazis or repelling invaders or whatever. Not a narrow referendum decision to leave the EU. It'll only serve to aggravate remainers. Which from the tone of many I would suggest is the point of it.

SteakAndCake

Distinguished Member
I for one will not be happy with bells alone. I want Spitfires and Bunting, an organised EU flag burning festival in Trafalgar Square, and a national televised speech from Farage from atop the White Cliffs.

Let's make it a very very special event for very special people.

Sonic67

Distinguished Member
I don't see ringing the bell as a 'remain/leave thing', more as a 'waste of my elected officials' time and money thing.'
Is it your money? If I give my money to saving the whale or buying beer how does it affect you?
Did we ring the bells when we joined the EU? Or common market or whatever?
We rung it recently just to celebrate we put a new calendar on the wall. How much did that cost?
Save crap like this for major events of National pride - defeating Nazis or repelling invaders or whatever. Not a narrow referendum decision to leave the EU. It'll only serve to aggravate remainers. Which from the tone of many I would suggest is the point of it.
I've never been prouder than when we voted to leave. And then kept doing so.

Again, what's the issue? If you aren't paying for it what's the problem? Can you hear it from where you are? Will it keep you awake? For someone fine with it you seem very bothered.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
Is it your money? If I give my money to saving the whale or buying beer how does it affect you?

We rung it recently just to celebrate we put a new calendar on the wall. How much did that cost?

I've never been prouder than when we voted to leave. And then kept doing so.

Again, what's the issue? If you aren't paying for it what's the problem? Can you hear it from where you are? Will it keep you awake? For someone fine with it you seem very bothered.

You seem to be really struggling today.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Strange, the only "moaning" I see in here is about Big Ben not bonging.

If Leaver's are gonna be crying this much over it, let it ring. Parts of the country have had enough flooding already.

Sonic67

Distinguished Member
You seem to be really struggling today.
You too.

Has someone hacked your account very recently then? You didn't post these?

I'd rather the money was spent on the NHS :)
I'd suggest the time, money and effort could be better spent elsewhere. The Govt department allocated to organising this could be working on a trade deal or whatever.
And they should have more important things to do.
The beauty of Britain is there's nothing stopping you. I'd just rather the British Government didn't act like a Banana Republic Junta or Wild West town, shootin' off guns to celebrate something we've already had for centuries.
Looking forward to some members on here frothing at the mouth when 'Celebration Manager', 'Celebration Assistant', 'Celebration Co-ordinator' jobs start to appear on council websites for 6 six figure sums.
Good to see you carrying the adversarial nature of Brexit into the pre-post-Brexit era. Well done you.
more as a 'waste of my elected officials' time and money thing.'

Aj33

I for one will not be happy with bells alone. I want Spitfires and Bunting, an organised EU flag burning festival in Trafalgar Square, and a national televised speech from Farage from atop the White Cliffs.

So bitter.

rustybin

Distinguished Member

The worry would be if the EU Army used the event as a prelude to invasion. On reflection, I'm not sure it's worth the risk.

Sonic67

Distinguished Member
You made the mistake of engaging and look what's happened now :laugh:
Well you used to flounce out the threads, now you just get salty. :laugh:

Sonic67

Distinguished Member
8 inline quotes with only 2 sentence of reply in a single post. That's gotta be a Sonic record.
Sorry, it was such a target rich environment.

For equivalence I'll chuck a fiver to Steve Bray so he can shout "Stop Brexit" one more time.

Fair?

Sonic67

Distinguished Member
:facepalm:

Moving on.

I do like @SteakAndCake's Spitfire idea. Let me know where to send my cash for that one please.
Available from Duxford. Give the pilot a bit more.

Sonic67

Distinguished Member
The worry would be if the EU Army used the event as a prelude to invasion. On reflection, I'm not sure it's worth the risk.
At the suggestion, France has already surrendered, and Italy has already changed sides.

gavinhanly

You too.

Has someone hacked your account very recently then? You didn't post these?
He quoted a post of his own saying that he has no problem crowdfunding the event, but does with government money being spent on it.

You've then quoted lots of examples of him complaining about government money being spent on it (and one saying that you're welcome to spend money on it yourself), thereby supporting his argument.

You both actually seem to be in agreement on this, then?

richp007

Distinguished Member
He quoted a post of his own saying that he has no problem crowdfunding the event, but does with government money being spent on it.

You've then quoted lots of examples of him complaining about government money being spent on it (and one saying that you're welcome to spend money on it yourself), thereby supporting his argument.

Bizarre isn't it :laugh:

I think Sonic would argue with his own reflection even if it agreed with him ;)

Sonic67

Distinguished Member

I wondered at all the negative posts that were that it shouldn't be happening at all and which I quoted.

Even if it was going to be crowdfunded.

Regardless if we assume a website appears this second and the money is raised by midnight tonight, I'm not sure there is time to do whatever is necessary in a couple of weeks.

A better option would be to fund a party or fireworks or whatever. And not in Remain central.

As for celebrating in general, why not? It's a new chapter, we voted for it, it's new opportunities and even the most ardent remainer must admit it could be great.

Sonic67

Distinguished Member