1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should a new plasma make a loud buzzing noise??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by NMR, Aug 8, 2005.

1. NMR

NMR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I have posted this before, but under the HYUNDAI thread. Just at my wits end really due to the constant buzzing coming from the back panel.

Should this be happening, and will it go off in time or is it a faulty set

I have reason to believe that the screen is touching something in the panel, causing the buzzing noise. It also gets very hot.

Is this normal for a plasma?

Also, I have viewed the same model in Comet and it is quiet, no buzzing at all. I wondered whether this was due to it being on all day and wears off.

:lease: :lease: can someone help! :confused:

2. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +704
    All plasma's have transformers in them which cause buzzing, 100hz CRT's also buzz so it's not a fault with your plasma you'll have to get used to it and it's normal for plasma's to get rather hot.

The buzzing will not go away the more it is used and you will probably notice it gets slighter louder when a bright image is displayed on the screen, this is also normal.

The plasma in Comet will buzz exactly the same as your's it'll just be harder to spot with all the background noise.

3. NMR

NMR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your reply.

However, in Comet, I had the assistant turn all the other tvs around it down, and put my ear next to the back of the panel. No noise at all.

Therefore, I dont reckon that this is normal as everyone would send them back as it is very distracting and audible above the normal tv volume (and surround system)

:( :(

4. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi NMR...I have a Panny pv500 and it to buzzes....infact there are threads elswhere in the forum about the pv500 buzzing....but I like the sound cos it takes me back to years gone by when all tvs were made using valves and they all had their own buzz lol. If u dont notice it under normal viewing like me then, as Korum says, its just normal.....if you think its excessive...ie u can hear it when you are watching tv from the sofa I would be inclined to get it checked out to be on the safe side

5. NMR

NMR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mine is a Hyundai HPTN4200S.

If they should fail to fix the problem, I would be inclined to return it altogether. If this be the case, what other 42" would be recommended with a budget of £1000.?

:rolleyes:

6. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +704
    Yeah like Lionheart said if you can hear it above your surround system it sounds like a real problem.Request a service engineer take a look at the problem but be warned most engineers suddenly become deaf when in the vicinity of plasma screens !

If you can get an refund you may want to take a look at an LG RZ-42PX11, Empiredirect are doing it for £1099.It seems to have received very good reviews in home cinema mags.

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Not true, "all cheap and nasty plasmas with poorly designed power supplies, and some expensive plasmas with faulty power supplies" buzz.

My panny pwd6 is totally silent, unless I stick my ear against the vents in the back.

8. NMR

NMR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    After much deliberation, I decided to take matters into my own hands last night.

I found that when I moved the right hand speaker, the buzzing stopped. I then investigated the screws holding the speaker bracket and found the top one to be rather tight (it doesnt actually screw into the bracket anyway :rolleyes: ). I loosened this screw and lo and behold, the buzzing stopped. Tightened it up again, there it goes again.

Therefore, I have concluded that if you tighten the screw, it nips the panel to the inside of the tv, and causes some sort of interference or overheating.

Can anyone elaborate on this? :confused:

9. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice going NMR gr8 to see u found out the cause...I assume your speakers detatch from your screen ? .....your thread made me go and have another listen to mine ( isnt it fun lol)....i think what im hearing is not a buzz and could well be the fan system built into pv500...the sound can only be heard if i put my ear to the back and is quiter than my pc fan....anyway its nice to see u found the source of the problem

10. Sadfish

Sadfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mine plasma doesnt buzz. its cheap.... but deffo not nasty.