1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shoudl drinking me banned on public transport?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by shahedz, Oct 31, 2005.

?
  1. yes, ban it

27 vote(s)
    54.0%
  2. no. things are fine the way things are

23 vote(s)
    46.0%
  1. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,203
    do you think drinking should be banned on public transport, i live in London and on the evenings having to share a tube or bus with a drunk isnt pleasent, i for one think that it should be banned

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,151
    The trains suck. Last thing I'd want to do is be sober on one.

3. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    But the ban will simply stop them having drink ON the actual bus/train. Drunk people will still be allowed to travel.

4. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    you dont commute do you tons - being drunk that early in the morning isn't good for you you know :D

yes it should be banned.

gary

5. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are allowed to drink on a plane so why not bus and train? So long as the behaviour is OK and there is already legislation in place to deal with that. Enough of this nanny state! Use the existing laws to deal with the abuse and let those you would like a nice glass of British Rail wine get on with i!

6. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,179
    'course it should be banned..there's plenty of places to go boozing without sitting on a train getting wrecked...

Because on a plane, you so much as raise your voice agressively and they'll have you in handcuffs with someone sitting on you, before you can blink..

As long as we're repared to put up with such measures on every single bus/train journey we all take, then yes, let the drinking continue...

7. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    No way! :nono:

Most drunks on public transport arrive intoxicated before they get on. The question should be Should Public Transport providers be able to refuse admittance to anyone they see as unfit to travel and likewise expel people who become unfit?

I can just see it now:
    Stewardess: The passenger in seat J5 is drunk and being abusive.
    Pilot: I’ll lower the plane to 10,000 ft get a parachute he’s leaving. :D

Seriously though I don’t bother drinking on public transport myself (I would fall asleep and miss my stop) :eek:

Let’s stop banning things and thus contributing to Tony’s Nanny State. :lesson:

If someone is violently drunk on public transport then kick them off (preferably with out stopping)

On the way back from a recent trip to Plymouth two eastern Europeans got on at Bristol and sat down at the table opposite me produced a bottle of rum and over the next hour and half polished the lot off They didn’t make a noise, They didn’t attack anybody. They just passed the journey the way they wanted to.

8. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Trains and planes serve booze anyway, but, to me at least, there is something very seedy about drinking on a bus. I'm probably just a snob though :)

9. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,203
    that i understand but it will stop them getting even more wrecked

10. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,151
    You haven't lived until you've done that!

As other people have said, the vast majority of problem passengers are already wasted before they ever get on the train/bus/tube in the first place. I cannot see banning alcahol on the train making any difference- it merely spoils the simple pleasure of a cold beer after an absolute dog of a day.

11. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    I travel up to Tottenham from Newbury for the football. We enjoy a beer on the way. We're not noisy, we stay in the 'beer wagon' out of the way. Over the past ten years, I must have made the journey 130 times. I have seen or witnessed any trouble from drunk people on the train. Half of the time, we get joined by some of the Chelsea lot at Reading. If that's not a mix for trouble I don't know what is, but it just never happens.

Exactly why this is being linked to the binge drinking craze I do not know.

12. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Drinking on a train is civilised and relaxing - also trains have better licencing hours :clap:

13. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    if I can't get on a train drunk/buy a drink on a train, I'll just drive drunk instead. So will many other people.

Dumb-a$$ politicians! :mad:

14. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,203
    i'm not saying you should not be allowed on a train drunk, but i dont think you should be allowed to carry on drinking if you are. i therefore think drinking should be banned on public transport

15. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    That's pointless though. Why let them on drunk in the first place?

I don't think you can tar all drinkers with the same brush. I for example get to the stage of drunkeness where I am guaranteed to fall asleep before I would:

Shout or become abusive
    Puke my guts up
    Get Violent

So how would people justify me not carrying on drinking on train? Even if I am already drunk, the worst that will happen is I fall asleep and wake up in Penzance.

16. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    The problem are those who are drunk but not quite at the passing out stage

17. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,179
    the more I think about it, the Aircraft method is definitely the way to go..

If you are clearly drunk & agressive, you don't even get on in the first place
    If you get drunk & agressive on the train, they cuff you and restrain you, and then hand you over to the waiting cops at the next station.
    Anyone wanting to have a quiet drink can have as many as they like, and nobody's journey is ever ruined by some obnoxious drunk tw@.

The only downside, will be the guards at every carriage door and the 'walk the line' test at the bar (which could be decidely tricky, even when sober :D )

18. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    The problem is who is going to police it?

If you try to tell someone they are too drunk to get on a bus then sooner or later someones going to slap them, and probably the bus driver will get hit in the mouth for his trouble.

Do they really need more agro?

If someones going to cause trouble through drink it's probably better to stop them taking more on and ending up worse.

19. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Of course we then ask why ppl get drunk...blah blah...continent doesn't have this problem.....I'll shut up. Not the time

20. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Won't stop me drinking on a train - as long as they still sell it - great fundraiser for preserved railways

21. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,203
    its not guys like you that cuase the problems but more the 18-30 year olds on a night out who go out.

22. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Agree with the Dude - stop people going on who are agressively drunk but don't ban drinking - not on trains anyway. I know a lot of people - me included - who travel on the trains sometimes purposely to be able to drink on the journey there or back so that one poor sod doesn't have to drive. Also appreciate a drink on the way back from work the few times I have to travel to London. And the last journey I made to Leeds to see my mate took 6 hours - I would've gone insane without a drink!!!

23. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Nope it shouldn't be banned. It's quite nice just to chill out with a couple of beers, a good book and the iPod on a long train journey. Typical nanny state reaction again!

24. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I think it should maybe banned on buses and metro/tube i.e. any local public transport, as there is really no point, if you want to drink get of the next stop near a pub.

Intercity trains and coaches i think of differently though, i don't consder them public transport in the same way. I don't see a problem with trains or coaches selling or allowing people to drink as they have enough staff (hopefuly) to deal with any problems plus they have little tables!

So my stance is there is no need to drink on bus or light rail ect... because if you want to drink you'll be at your destination soon enough and they don't have the staff to deal with the problem. On intercity public transport the reverse is true so its ok.

25. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,220
    Shouldn't drink on buses or trains. Too much danger of spilling a drop! Hee hee hee, sorry I'll get me coat!

Bearing in mind that people aren't (meant to be allowed) to have an open vessel of alcohol on a bus and bus drivers do/should not let people on if they have one then you see that the rules are already in place. Also bear in mind there is ancient legislation in this country making it an offence to be drunk in ANY public place, which includes buses, train's, streets, pubs etc and you see we have the problem nicely covered!!!

In a real world, the problem has already been mentioned here. Who will police it? Transport members of staff don't have the time, training or equipment (not to mention it isn't in their job description!) to deal with drunk, violent knob heads. However Transport For London Police (a dept of the Met police) and British Transport Police (a seperate constabulary) do have the skills, training, equipment necessary for the job.
    the only real life problem is that the country would need about a billion of them to cover all the bus routes and train routes to a satisfactory level!!!

26. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Banning the drinking of alcohol on public transport is more or less useless - my experience of problem drunks have all been drunk when they got on the train/ bus not from drinking whilst on it.

If they are considering banning people who have drunk from getting onto public transport as well - 1) it kind of goes against the previous years advice to women to take transport home rather than walking late at night/ after the pub/club 2) will almost certainly result in an increase in drink drivers.

The other obvious point is that some of us dont want to live in a nanny state and think we are old enough to make our own minds up on if we want to drink whilst in a bus/ train

27. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    as long as the people with the booze on transport is over 20 i say it should just be kept like it is

but as for chavs, thats a diff matter.

28. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Are all you folks who are saying don't ban it actually voting? Only it seems the majority of posts are saying don't ban it yet the voting is going the other way :confused:

29. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,179
    Quite true, but I'd say some of us are definitely in need of a nanny state, needing constant 24hr supervision, and the prohibition of just about everything, in order to behave like civilised adult human beings..?

There's a BIG difference between being old enough to decide if we want a drink, and being old enough to handle a drink.. ;)

I've no problem with people getting p****d on trains, as long as they've no problem with someone dragging them off the train and beating the living crap out of them on the platform if they seriously annoy somebody.
    If you've got a beer in your hand, then standard pub rules apply where I'm concerned. :devil: