1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shortlisting small systems on tone quality

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Torque, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Torque

Torque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There have been a number of useful threads recently on choosing a low-cost surround sound system. Most seem to shortlist on price, size and looks, with guys making the final choice by listening to the sound quality.

I wonder if those of you who have auditioned some of these speaker systems could put down your thoughts about the timbre and nature of the sounds you have been hearing, to help me shortlist the ones to listen to.

For example, when I bought my (relatively inexpensive) hifi speakers many years ago, I chose AR, because they had a rich warm tone with my NAD amp, compared to e.g. the brightness of the Yamahas of the time. My TV setup is in a different room, so I can't make use of this kit now.

For this system, I am mostly concerned with cinema, not music. My room is fairly small, and one wall is shared with the neighbours. In any case I don't like loud sounds - I'm looking for something that will capture movie sound, particularly speech, cleanly and accurately at low/med volume. I would like to be able to increase the prominance of speech above sound effects and background music. I don't need to rattle the windows.

I can't spend more than about 500-ish for the whole system at the moment (speakers+amp). I have a Tosh510 DVD (DD5.1 & DTS) + Loewe Vitros TV (Nicam). I realise that I can't expect too much at this price, but I want to try to optimise the things that are most important for me. I'd appreciate your help, thanks.

2. Sozzled

Sozzled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My first surround sound all in one package was a yamaha, which I bought because of its warm sound. There are various Yamaha HTIB packages so if you can find a dealer with these on dem would suggest you give them a try.

If clarity is important to you then perhaps the AEGO 5 from Acoustic Energy might also be worth considering. Have heard good things about this system, although haven`t dem`d it myself. Details can be found at

www.aego2.acoustic-energy.co.uk/aego5/aego5.html

I believe a previous thread stated that the system was stocked by Sevenoaks for about £600. a forum search may bring more info on this.

3. Torque

Torque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, that was useful. I've since found a few descriptions of tone here and there. What has suprised me is that I see more of it in the amp forum - I had always thought the speakers had the greater influence, but it seems perhaps not. I guess that means I have to do the amp tradeoff at the same time, rather than one after the other as I originally thought. Lots of things I don't understand about amps, so I'll have to concentrate there for a bit. My budget is also creeping up as I realise how important it is to me to get this right.

4. Sozzled

Sozzled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The more hi-fi I`ve listened to the more it seems to me that any piece of equipment in a system can alter the overall sound as much as any other. This seems to be true of AV systems too.

The best way forward for you may be to find a good dealer that can not only explain about amps etc, but is prepared to let you hear the differences for yourself in demonstrations.

Notice your location is same as mine and I would recommend Audio Designs in East Grinstead or Jeffries Hifi on the south coast (Brighton, Eastbourne....). Both offer good advice and are vey helpfull, whatever your level of knowledge or budget.

www.jeffries.co.uk

www.audiodesigns.co.uk

Before anyone questions this recommendation, have no connection to either of the above except as a happy customer.