1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shortlist for LCD with Lens Shift for around £1200?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rooo, Apr 5, 2005.

1. rooo

rooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I don't know much about the current state of the PJ market as it is over a year since I last seriously looked. Now I finally have the money, and have sorted out any installation issues, I would like to know what should make my short list.

I want to stick with LCD, and I need Lens Shift so I can mount it about 60 cms off centre. It also needs to be around the £1200 mark as my total budget for screen and a 5m+ video cable is £1500. I want a pull down screen so it is 'wife freindly', so I can't skimp on the screen.

So far the only ones that meet my criteria are:

Panasonic AET700
    Sanyo Z3

Have I missed any?

2. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    both the Panasonic AET700 and Sanyo Z3 are in my opinion suberb machines.

I have just purchased a Pana AE700 and the lens shift works well but dont expect to much of this facility- I did and it wasnt what I expected.

I think that the max amount of reliance is about 18", so for your needs this should be ok. Bare in mind that using lens shift effects the picture quality.... becasue f this I had to wall mount the unit as apposed to operating it mounted on a rack.

Good luck!! :smashin:

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Absolutely agree, except I wouldn't describe it as "little". :D

But if you like curves...

...PJ :)

5. kelaD

kelaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mason,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but lens shift has no adverse effect on picture quality. In contrast, keystone correction does

TTFN

6. Member 14847

Member 14847

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Add the Epson EMP-TW200H to your list and that pretty much covers it. Keystone correction reduces resolution slightly (depending on how much you use).

7. mince bigalow

mince bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kelaD, I thought that before I got a sanyo z2. In theory it shouldn't but it depends on the quality of the lens used. On my Z2 with more lens shift the focus becomes an issue at the edges of the image, i.e. in focus at the top of the screen and slightly out of focus at the bottom. For the very best image I would suggest keeping the lens shift to a minimum.

Regards

Mark

8. kelaD

kelaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool - that makes sense

9. rooo

rooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks guys. My list now consists of:

Panasonic AET700
    Sanyo Z3
    Hitachi PJ-TX100
    Epson EMP-TW200H

When is the time of year that manufacturers normally release new models? Are any of these due to be superceded soon?

10. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    after reading this thread I have a few questions. I never realised how bright the TX100 is but it does have a lot lower contrast than the others, is this really a problem?

Also, does the TX100 and the epson both have lens shift?

Cheers

11. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562

I'm very impressed with the contrast on the TX100 - it has something called an "optical black" system which seems just to be a pre-canned way of adjusting all the Iris / contrast / gamma settings etc - works really well.

It has a very effective lens shift, great for fine tuning the position of the pic.

TX100 is still less than a year old, but there is bound to be a successor planned as for all manufacturers.

Only disappointing aspect of the TX is the measley 12 month Hitachi warranty.

...PJ

12. thej

thej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    As I mentioned on a previous post, I have yet to see LCD in action, so only have DLP to go on.
    Have got tempted by either 4805, H30a (which I am demoing tomoz) and the TX100.
    What are you opinions of it, have you had dust problems, dead pixels and overall whadya think!
    Cheers for your input.

13. rooo

rooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    OK, I've now got it down to 2 - the Panny and the Hitachi. Both have front vents which I need so I can mount it close to a wall.

So I'm going to try and demo both of these.

Can anyone recommend any dealers in the East Midlands?

14. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    rooo, sorry i cant help with a demo in east mids but I live in east mids(derbyshire) also so if you do find anywhere then please please please let me know.

Cheers

15. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Can't help you with the dealers but would be really interested in your thoughts once you've had a demo.

I've got a demo of a PT700 this Friday (and a H57 just cos it's dlp). Also wanted a demo of the HS50 at the same time but still no dates for deliveries from Sony !

Ray

16. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Others have had dust problems with the TX, I haven't so far. Dealers have commented that the TX is no more or less prone to the usual PJ issues than any of its peers.

For 1K it is an extremely impressive buy. The Z3 / AE700 are also impressive but more expensive. The 4805 / H30A are also impressive too by all accounts, but they are not HiDef capable and I don't think they have optical lens shift - the latter feature was important to me, the HiDef less so.

I think you'd need to step up to the HS50 to get a noticable improvement over the TX...PJ