1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shorter throw than ae300?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by clockwork, May 18, 2003.

1. clockwork

clockwork
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know of any good lcd/dlp projectors which have a shorter throw than the ae300? Preferably with a comparable price to the ae300.

The problem I have is that I will be sitting 16ft from the screen and can only place the projector about 10ft from the screen (because of a beam across the centre of the room). I however was hoping to be able to get a 106" diag picture....

Cheers
    Claude

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The AE300 is a short throw projector - very, very unlikely you'll find something (anything???) with a shorter throw ratio, let alone at a comparible price.

Better to look at your options again & maybe come up with a new strategy.

16ft seating distance??? A HS10 would produce a nice big picture at say, 14ft.......

:smoke:

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Get a gyrolock mount (or similar) and have the pj projecting below the beam. How deep is the beam?

4. clockwork

clockwork
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem with the HS10 is that I would need to position the projector on the otherside of the beam to get a big picture.

The beam comes down about 2ft (it is the gable end of the building where the living room has been extended). To get under the beam th projector would need to hang too low.

I also like the idea of positioning the projector on the screen side of the beam because it would be less obtrusive in the living room.

One option I have since discovered is that it is possible to get a shorter throw lens for the AE300 (I think it is called the LECEW300). I take it know one has used it? That would be ideal I however dont know the range of image sizes....

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi clockwork,

AFAIK conversion lenses for PJs tend to be quite expensive - check it out.

Have you tried the throw distance ratio calculator on projectorcentral.com to check what size image you'll get firing from 10 ft ? Bear in mind that you will have to leave about 18" clearance between the back of the PJ and the beam - the AE300 vents hot air from the back of the projector.

All the best,

Sean G.

6. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pricejapan still have the long and short throw lenses listed as accessories for the TH-AE300, not sure if they'll sell them seperately from the projector though..

If they do it looks like around £300 delivered, not as bad as the £1k HS10 lens, but a rip-off none the less :)

-- Jon

7. clockwork

clockwork
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi theritz,

I have. I would not be able to get as big a screen as I would like.... My room can easily accomodate a 150" diag screen it is just the projector placement which is a problem (given the room is dual purpose). Initially I was just wanting to go with a 106" manual screen untill I got the 'serious' screen....

The short throw lens is a little steep at about $330 from PriceJapan. Im willing to pay this for the larger picture. I just needd to get more info on what size picture can be accomodated within a 10ft range.

Is it strictly necesary to have 18" clearance at the back of the projector? In my situation the projector would be in font of a beam where the base of the projector would be roughly the same level as the bottom of the beam. I figured there would still be enough circulation.

Cheers
    Claude

8. clockwork

clockwork
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gothmog,

you just beat me :)

thanks.

9. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    clockwork,

I have not seen the AE300 in action, so perhaps others will offer opinions based on actual experience, but for now I would be doubtful about planning to use one of the current crop of projectors to throw a 150" diagonal image (about 11' wide ??)without having seen one at this screen-size beforehand, I reckon that above 7 ft, the image quality from the AE100 begins to suffer - While the AE300 has greater resolution and the Smoothscreen technology, I would still wonder about pic quality at very large screen sizes.

I have seen the HS10 in action which has higher resolution than the AE300, and reckon that it can handle screen sizes greater than 8' easily, but is probably at it's "sweet-spot" image-size-wise at that screen-size. There is a trade off with very large screen sizes from digital projectors, at very large sizes artifacts. digital noise and poor dvd transfer issues become far more obvious, one has to sit further away from the screen to avoid these, the further away one sits the less the screen fills the field of vision, and you then some of the impact which one set out to create with a seriously big screen in the first placeis lost.

Don't mean to cast a "downer" on things and will be very interested to read obs from other members with screen sizes over 8' and their comments on pic quality in comparison to smaller screen sizes.

All the best,

Sean G.

10. clockwork

clockwork
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    theritz,

I agree with you completely! I dont think the AE300 would be up to a 150" screen (though the specs say 200" is possible). I was only quoting the 150" screen as my aim for the future (5-10 years) when projector technology improves.

So at the moment I will be more than happy with a 106" diag (7.5 ft wide) screen.

BTW: I emailed PriceJapan last night and this was their reply:

Screen distance from projector on 100inch screen with LECWE300( short coversion lenz) on is 2.5m-2.9m, which I think will meet your demand.

As written on http://www.pricejapan.com/e/ae300-3.htm short conversion lenz(TY-LECWE300) is $339 (40,000 Yen), including EMS shipping cost.

Cheers
    Claude