1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shortcomings of using VGA route for connecting to Panny 6 series

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by andyatkins, May 23, 2004.

1. andyatkins

andyatkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand that given the DVI route for PAL @ 50Hz is currently unachievable the best PQ for a Panny 6 series from say Sky+ & DVD is delivered by connecting via the Plasma's VGA port perhaps by using the JS converter box and/or using an external scaler like the iScan HD to get to 1:1 pixel mapping. However - I also think their may be drawbacks to this approach specifically:-

* You loose automatic aspect switching (the pin 8 SCART thing) & you also loose (some??) of the Panny's screen modes like zoom?

* (This is a guess by me) you loose the Picture & Picture / Picture in Picture function of the Plasma? (Assuming you also have say a Scart input in one of the Panny slots)

Am I right in these concerns or am I off beam here or are there some work-rounds that make them irrelevent?

Thanks for your thoughts guys

2. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You do loose auto aspect switching, but that all. You don't loose the picture modes such as 4:3, 16:9 and Zoom, you don't loose Picture In Picture and you also don't loose the Digital Zoom (where you can pick an area of the screen and zoom in up to 9x or something like that).

I've just been and double checked all of the above just to make sure I wasn't making it up, and I'm not.. :laugh:

I'm using the VGA input from a Lumagen Vision video processor and I also have a Scart board installed which has a parallel feed from my NTL box so I can have split screen with both the direct NTL Scart feed and the Lumagen VGA feed, side by side. It makes comparing image quality very easy. The picture via the VGA input is cleaner and less fuzzy/soft.

Ryan

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    surely you would lose the PIP ability.... after all you only have one input as opposed to many without the processor?

ad

4. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think Andy covered that one..

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry Ryan..... it is late on a Sunday and methinks I should be somewhere other than here!

ad

6. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :laugh: I'm permanently fixed to my desk these days, finals exams and all and so I'm always here of late, its someting to help distract me from the work I should be doing! :rolleyes:

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I hadn't looked at what age you were Ryan.... I assumed you were older! Good luck in those exams, im just glad mine are all over last year :D

ad

8. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No only 23, I'll have to change my typing style or something, I must type like an old man! :laugh:

I'm almost done now only 2 more to go, I got my project and dissertation in a couple of weeks ago, that was the real killer.. :suicide:

The daft thing is I left my job as an electrical engineer to go and educate myself and get a very well paid techy job, but now that I'm actually finished being educated I'm actually planning on going back to being a sparky again! :rolleyes: Once I've had a nice chilled out summer of enjoying my new AV system of course.. ;)

Ad did you actually get a job relating to your degree, it seems more and more people are going to uni just for the sake of it nowadays.

Ryan

9. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Andy,
    Yes, RGB to Plasma VGA is what I consider the best input for Sky. I have the option of this or via my iScan. The iScan isn't plugged in. Simply put, while the iScan produced a more "full" looking image, the Plasma VGA unit was sharper and I felt overall the better option.

1:1 pixel mapping works up to the point where you adjust the image to fit the screen!

All the best,

Dr John Sim.