1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Short throw vs. Long throw

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sapkan, Oct 6, 2004.

1. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Having my Living room built right now so want to integrate everything for my home cinema at this stage. Considering a projector either the new Sony HS-51 or the AE700 Panny. I am a little limited on placement so want to know more about the short/long throw situation? Also heard that the Sonys can be placed off center, but how much so...? :lease: :lease: :lease: help

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Short throw means a short distance between projector and screen .. say 1-1.75 times screen width as a rough guide, long throw is the converse being 1.75+.

That means the HS51 is certainly 'short', from the spec: " Short Throw Lens (100" < 3m)", ie. you could fill a 100" diagonal 16:9 screen (7'+ screen width) from less than 9'.

I don't know the Sony but generally I think Lens Shift works at least 1/2 height and/or 1/2 width depending on what it's capable of. This means you could have the lens level with, say, the bottom of the screen and be able to shift the image to centre it ... though it's generally recommended not to use the full distance available because lenses can often be slightly imperfect at their extremes, and also light output can diminish at the extremes of shift.

HTH

3. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    ProjectorCentral is a mine of information, though not necessarily that great for reviews.

Projector People has some good articles for those new to projector technology.