Question Short Throw Mid-Value LCD projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by explicitlyrics, Nov 28, 2016.

1. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hello everybody,

Ive been playing with projectors for over a decade and have always gone for a LCD projector as I cant stand seein rainbows. However, my current (London based) flat has a very small room for a projector so I decided I needed to look at a short throw device.

I found some really decent looking options at a pretty cheap price and settled on the Optoma GT1080e despite it being DLP (I read that things had improved significantly and its been 5 years since I last looked for a DLP projector). At £600 I consider it a great price for what it is, but sadly I still find the rainbows really annoying so now really want to find an LCD equivalent.

Are there any decent (and similar to Optoma) short-throw LCD projectors at the +/- £600-800 price point?

Thanks very much in advance!!

2. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Does anybody know why short throw projectors are made from DLP projectors? I have had a look on projector central and still struggling to come up with any, so perhaps am out of luck?
    Thanks

3. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Most short throws that are LCD tend to be for office use from my experience and tend to have really high lumens and are not full hd.

What is the throw distance you need?

4. Vila

Vila

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +714
    Well in 'general' LCD projectors tend to have a much wider throw range than budget DLP's.

You might find an LCD projector already has the thrown range that fits your needs.

For home use the only 'short' throw LCD's tend to be ultra short throw like the Philips Screeneo or the LG version.
    HDP1590_F7-A5P-global-001.jpeg

5. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thats interesting to hear, thank you both. I would be looking at an 80 inch screen (180cm width) from 1.3m ish (or less).

Ultra short throw would be fine in theory, but having just looked at both the Philips and LG models (thanks for the links) the cost is quite a bit higher and the reviews dont tend to be amazing either.... (lots of shadows on ultra short throw without an amazing screen it would seem and my screen is mediocre).

General quality is pretty important to me (I can notice the difference between 720p and 1080p), but otherwise I am probably not a very discerning projector owner (except for rainbows which do bother me). Perhaps I just need to keep watching and they will go away eventually....

The other option is I dig into my wall above above my sofa (OH not keen at all), in which case I could project from about 2.3m (lens to screen), but the PJ would have to be 10-11cm thick max. I couldnt find anything matching this other requirement on PJCentral...

Edit the Epson TW5300 seems to be pretty close, but it still means a lot of building work which I know will get me in trouble.....

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  6. Vila

Vila

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +714
    1.3 meters is really short - how big is the room?

TBH you may be better just going for the biggest TV you can buy.

7. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Fair shout, sadly the walls have some shelving and I can only really put a tv inside one of the shelves otherwise it looks silly. Bought myself a 43" TV to fit in the gap of the largest shelf (on a wall mount so you avoid the feet), and it fits with a few mm on the edges. Sadly from a viewing distance of 2.5m I just dont feel it is big enough (Im being fussy!), but mainly the aim is for a bit of fun and wow factor in an occasional film, rather than every TV viewing session.
    I could rotate the room by 90degrees, but then I would have to change my speaker config since the TV cant rotate to a different wall. Will try and demo an ultra short throw LCD, but if not might give a DLP a go and see how I get on....
    Thanks again

8. dave77

dave77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Benq W1080ST+ will do 100" at 1.5m so should be about right for you
    BenQ W1080ST+

I have the W1080ST+. I just bought a UST Optoma GT5000 on Amazon lightening deals on a whim but it's going back unopened. Be careful with UST's, you need a perfectly flat surface to project onto

9. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Do you think the Benq W1080ST+ would be better than the Optoma GT1080e? I cant find any sites which compare them but they do seem similar. Both DLP which is my problem, but perhaps the Benq has a faster colour wheel which would stop me noticing it?

10. ossij

ossij
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bump

Or BenQ TH682ST?

Also, realising this was a bit LCD vs DLP as well - I had seen reviews of the BenQs and the Optoma not having much of a rainbow issue, yet here at least the Optoma has the problem after all???

11. Vila

Vila

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +714

All single chip DLP projectors exhibit the rainbow effect - its an inherent flaw in the technology. Just not everyone see's the issue and it can also be seen to greater or lesser degrees in different projectors.

The only way to tell how it will or won't effect you is to demo the projector.

12. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I agree with this for sure, but I do think if you see them at all you will likely need a LCD or three chip DLP to remove the effect. For me it is annoying every time I watch a film but given most of my friends don't notice it I decided I would put up with it for a while until a LCD equivalent projector is produced!