1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Short Review: RVX-457 (Superfi) NSP-110 (Peter Tyson)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by spickee, Jul 25, 2005.

1. spickee

spickee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well after plenty of reading and deciding how much I could reliably spend without losing at least one testicle when the wife found out I took the plunge last Thursday after Superfi dropped the price on the New RVX-457 to £150.

I had been looking at the NSP-110 speakers as my initial option anyway, it was just what they would be paired with.

Ordered Thursday lunchtime from both etailers after making sure they both had stock, then waited feverishly on Friday for the arrival. PT were better as they would deliver to my work address, so these arrived no problems. Superfi used Nightspeed, and would only deliver to the credit card address, or deliver no signature required, I don't think so. Anyway speakers turned up no problems, amp got taken back to Luton, the local depot. Off I went on Friday night to collect it.

Got them home and unpacked, everything looks good except the sheer size of the manual for the amp. Took my time, put the speakers up, cable supplied was decidedly lacking in length and thickness, so went for my trusty standby, cat5, braided. Then found the amp didn't fit where it was meant to go, out came the planes and chisels and modified the furniture slightly (wife still doesn't know), it fits. Wired everything up, component from xbox and DVD player (cheapy, going to be replaced probably by a 575 but not yet), optical from xbox, coax from DVD. Both feeding my trusty newish Z3.

Had one final check that all the wires were in the right place, yep, ok what DVD to fire up first, The Incredibles, work out what I'm doing with the amp and off we go, the soundstage was excellent, the sub just about right, ok it is a little lightweight for real room shaking, but for the average sized room at non ear bleeding volumes it is perfect. Thought I'd then go for a bit of Star Wars, had to watch the Pod race, what can I say, wow, it was excellent, especially at 8ft in my dining room/cinema room, surround effects were incredible and the vocals seemed to be coming from the right places. This carried on for a couple of hours with a mix of Phantom of the Opera, Highlander (Anchor Bay), Moulin Rouge, more Star Wars, Twister, all of which sounded great. Thought I'd then try a few Divxs off the xbox, here is where the xbox, or might be the divxs were a little less competent, still watchable still sounded ok, but seemed to drop to pro-logic rather than doing digital even though they were encoded as such. Beggars can't be choosers I know.

Decided it was then bed time at 2.30am. Got up next morning and carried on with the watching, different bits and bobs, some DVD some xbox sourced. Then put a couple of CDs on, again sound is more than acceptable, it'll never rival a two speaker setup for clarity and whallop, but for most of my listening I'm not sat in the sweetspot enjoying it, it is normally background that is on. Sound packed plenty of oomph and went up to reasonable levels, with enough bass for my liking.

What is wrong with the system, well the amp is bloody complicated, far too many settings to ever be fully used. The sub seems to turn itself off a little too readily for my liking even at the high output level setting, this might be improved with a decent sub cable though instead of the standard long rca lead I was using, it was all I had on a Friday night to allow the sub to be in the right place.

Movies sound good, music sounds good, Dolby Digital material sounds good as does DTS, can't decide which prefer though, I think DTS just edges it with a more open sound stage.

I have moved up or along to this from my trusty Bose Lifestlye 12 which I bought on my honeymoon over 8 years ago now, which only has Prologic, it was too old for the digital upgrade. Bose is still my living room surrond system, but the Yammy setup has got the Cinema room. Undoubtedly the Yammy sounds better, but the Bose is still less obtrusive for the lounge, and still sounds very nice, not matter what the anti-bose brigade say.

My new surround setup didn't cost much either.

RVX-457 - £149.00 delivered from Superfi
    NSP-110 - £79.00 delivered from Peter Tyson
    Extra speaker on its way from ebay, £15.00, thus making 6.1 instead of the 5.1.

So for less than £250 which I was going to spend on a one box solution I have got something upgradeable when the wife allows it, a cracking amp for the money, and component switching for the projector. All in all a very good spend of £250, I am really happy with the setup, just got to get the family to buy me a new DVD for my birthday in October and it'll be superb.

Hope this helps anyone who is struggling with a similar choice to me.

PS remember to check the amp fits before you buy it, as it's a monster.

2. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have the 450 (isn't it typical that the price of the 457 drops after 2 weeks after buying it). The amp would fit in my stand if I could remove the four stands underneath it - but I don't know if that is possible.

The amp has lots of options (certainly for a noob like myself) - but you soon get used to it :D

3. spickee

spickee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes same thing just happened to me with my Z3, waited and waited, bought it, price dropped and a free bulb, 3 weeks later.

I was holding off on the 450 until I could convince myself to do it. The price drop pitched me over the edge

4. simpsod1

simpsod1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Have you been able to get around the sub turning itself off issue???

This has been my only gripe with my system

5. spickee

spickee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    As long as you keep the volume up it seems fine, might try adjusting the output on the amp so it is higher then dropping the manual control on the amp.

In the process of installing my electric screen now, so the sound is kind of last thing in mind for a couple of days.

6. spickee

spickee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just bought an extra set of the two speakers to match so will be able to go proper 6.1 surround now. When they arrive I'll add to the review, see if they really make any difference.