Short-length high-quality speaker cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

crumbs

Standard Member
Is there a supplier of high-quality terminated speaker cables that are short lengths (eg. 0.5 metres)?

I got an amp with supplied speaker cables but these are 2m lengths and very thick and inflexible. This causes a problem with them bunched up on a bookshelf. I need a very short length as the speakers are on either side of the amp.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Any cable retailer will be able to terminate any speaker cable with simple banana plugs. If you opt for QED, you can get QED airlocs which although are expensive, once they're on, they stay on. See the likes of audiovisualonline.co.uk, they do airlocs on their QED cables. Why don't you simply buy some banana plugs and cut the cable to the desired length and fit them yourself?

m3rlin

Standard Member
I would try my best to move them apart, but as above qed airlocks. On some Nordost red dawn

davepuma

Distinguished Member
On some Nordost red dawn

Recommending £200 speaker cables without knowing the actual equipment in question is a bit rediculous don't you think? I know the OP said "high-quality" but you're entering the more-money-than-sense territory there IMHO :)

Andrew K

Banned
On the cheap side you would want 1m of cable and 4 pairs of screw-on banana plugs.

ALternatively as DAVEPUMA you could get the QED Airlocs at about £4.50 each but I would suggest you get a decent quality cable for this such as Silver Anniversary XT or any of the QED XTube range.

MarkTaylor

I'm with Dave on this one, tell us what the amp and speakers are and we can offer useful suggestions.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that the Nordost red dawn option costs more than the speakers :)

crumbs

Standard Member
I have around £20 of credit with a HiFi dealer that sells QED and Atlas speaker cables. I've decided that i'll buy 1 metre of unterminated cable and attach it directly to the binding posts without any banana plugs (the binding post screws have a cable hole in them on both the amp and speakers although this is a fairly small diameter hole). I don't really need banana plugs as the system won't be dismantled for many years. Obviously i'll cut the cable into two 0.5m lengths to feed both speakers.

I have already tried some QED Silver Anniversary cable that I borrowed from another of my HiFi systems but the core on this is a bit thick and I struggled to get it through the holes on the binding posts. It sounds very clear but a little bright.

I have a valve amplifier. I'm looking for a cable that delivers a mellow, warm sound with lots of detail.

From my HiFi dealers website I notice that the Atlas Hyper 2.0 is available at £15/m. Would this be a significant improvement over the QED Silver Anniversary cable?

deaf cat

Very Chilled out and log fire warmth -> Cardas:smashin:

Atlas great control and detail, very neutral:)

Tested with my ears & my kit;)

:)

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello crumbs

Your on dangerous grounds here - discussing the merits (or not) of various bits of wire tends to end up in rather polarised views; with many folk saying its all nonsense and a cable is a cable and has no audible effect on your system.

I'd be far more worried about the speakers being bunched up if they are only 1m apart - cant you wall/floor mount them if you cant separate them further on the shelf?

Joe

crumbs

Standard Member
Sadly, I cannot separate the speakers as they are at the limits of the shelf (which is fairly wide and deep and solid).

On the subject of whether the cable makes a difference or not, it may be by imagination but I have noticed a slightly different sound when I swapped the speaked cable that came with the amp for some QED Silver Anniversary. It has brightened up the sound somewhat and I preferred the tighter, laid-back sound with the original cable.

I will put the original cable back this evening to see if it's just my imagination!

The bottom line is that a HiFi shop owes me about £20 and I can't think of anything that I need so I though a 1m length of speaker cable to use up the £20 would be a good a buy as anything. The Atlas Hyper 2.0 sounds like a good way to blow the £20!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I'd ask for a nice crisp 20.00 GBP note myself!!!

Joe

MarkTaylor

I'd ask for the £20 as well :)

I suspect you have a lot more environmental and positional influences on the sound than you do those generated just from the cable. Also without knowing what the speakers/amp are it is hard to suggest anything, but in the end if using £20 worth of cable makes you happier about what you are hearing then it is a small price to pay.

crumbs

Standard Member
I ended up receiving 1m of Atlas Hyper 3.0 (instead of the 2.0 that I originally considered). I cut it in half and it is fairly thick cable (just like the QED Silver Anniversary cable). It wouldn't fit into the holes in the binding posts on the amplifier but did fit into the holes on the binding posts on the speakers. Somewhat frustrated by this, I pinched some Michelin banana plugs from another (unused) HiFi sytem. These were originally used on a Linn-based HiFi system a long time ago. I've had these Michelin plugs for around 15 years but, being gold-plated, they were still in very good condition. I cleaned them with isopropyl alcohol anyway. The side-entry cable hole is large so the Atlas Hyper 3.0 cable fitted easily.

After connecting up the speakers I listened to a few familiar tracks and the sound seemed more open. The brightness I was experiencing with the QED Silver Anniversary cable was gone. The sound was more laid back and relaxed - exactly what I was looking for. The amp itself was supplied with 'high-quality' speaker cables but these produced a 'boxed' sound - almost as if the detail and dynamics of a track are finding it hard to escape. The Atlas Hyper 3.0 released all of the detail and the dynamics in the music that I like to listen to. At £20 per metre it's not a cheap cable but I sort of got it for free so am very impressed with it. Luckily I only needed a metre of it!

At the end of the day, it could all be my mind playing tricks with me and convincing me that I can hear a difference between three different sets of speaker cables. Listening to the same set of tracks and swapping cables I was able to sense a slightly different sound - the stock cables supplied with the amp produced a 'boxed' sound, the QED Silver Anniversary was slightly bright and the Hyper Atlas 3.0 was mellow and open according to my ears.

MarkTaylor

As long as you are happy with the result that is what matters.

I'll bring this thread to a close at this point as it has reached a satisfactory conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom