1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Short comment on Skyworth

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gordon @ Convergent AV, Aug 3, 2001.

1. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Skyworth thoughts...

As some of you may know forum member Garry Palmer kindly sent me up his Skyworth progressive scan DVD player to use until the Event. It was turns out that Garry's Davis DLP projector is unable to lock on to the signal from the Skyworth when using its progressive scan RGB output so he has provisionally sold it on to another forum member who's going to use a Barco CRT. This should have no compatability problems.

I have now had time to watch a few things with it on a NEC9PG CRT projector. It should be mentioned that this isn't an exhaustive test. I've just been using it as I would any other DVD player.

It's been used to watch Buffy Season2 discs, Bring it On Region1 DVD, Close Encounters R2 DVD and JFK region2 DVD. It has not been without problems though. These problems were more to so with me having to set the CRT up correctly to work with the unit. Once I'd got the settings sorted it all seemed to be OK. I don't want to go in to details as "it was all ok in the end" as they say.

I have enjoyed my time with it so far. I feel the image looks a wee bit soft but haven't done a direct comparison with another DVD player yet. The access time when selecting chapters or navigating through menu's is incredibly slow at times...yet at others it's pretty instantanious! It's very quirky in that respect. I lost count of the number of times I thought it had crashed when it was actually considering it's response to a remote command.

De-interlacing of my Region1 test piece from the beginning of Star Trek Insurrection was good. It obviously has great 3:2 recognition. The only time I noticed really bad jaggies and crawling lines was actually when watching Region2 material. There were two sections during JFK where I actually got a shock when the picture broke down. This is a letterbox version though so I was really making it hard on it. When I have time I'm going to try and find them again and compare with other de-interlacers. This could be a good test of 2:2 pulldown....That's about it so far. Just little notes really. It's hard to find time to do it justice. I'll have to though in preparation for the Event, where you'll all get to see it, along with lots of other goodies......

Gordon

2. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got to agree with you on the deinterlacing Gordon. Tried one the other week and it was good (a friend's).

However (and this is a Kicker) it packed up dead as a Dodo... a trawl through AVSForum highlighted major failures of these units. The dealers response was send it back to Hong Kong and we'll fix it. No refund was offered on the unit or the shipping.

3. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    just a follow up to this thread,it seems some of the skyworth`s are affected by a bulging capacitor after only a short time of use,more so if the thing is left in standby,but this is easily rectified by a small solder job and replacing the cap - all the info is on the avs forum site under dvd hardware section,yeah I know it seems mad to be having to replace an item on a product that you have only just bought,but if thats the only thing they got wrong on such a great player and it`s only affecting a certain batch and this fix rectifies the problem- which it does -then it does not seem that bad for a player that only costs £250 inc postage/sorry to hear about your friends player,i take it he knows about this fix??did he get one of the early batch or does he keep it in standby - just curious as I got a later batch and turn it off after use and mine seems fine,hope he gets it fixed.