Short break in Cleveland (USA) for Cedar Point (Rollercoasters) and tranquility.

Jules

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know it's very short notice, but I have a week off work between 15th & 22nd May and I really want to visit Cedar Point, USA to experience the thrill rollercoaster rides over there.

It also appears to be very near the Great Lakes and I therefore assume wouldn't be too far away for a more relaxing and scenic contrast.

Has anybody been to Cedar Point?
Can you recommended places to stay nearby?
Any 'must see's/ do's in the surrounding area?

It's probably a bit bonkers planning it one week before, but I feel like being spontaneous and am determined to make it happen.

Budget isn't too much of a problem, but I'd obviously like to go as cheap as possible while staying in nice / clean / trouble free accommodation.

So, any help folks?

Thanks.

Last edited:
No rollercoaster fans here?

Just seems like a long way and a whole lot of expense just to go on some rides!
Personally if I was going to spend that kind of cash I wouldn't be thinking of going to Cleveland.
Maybe the ride in question is a good one but isn't Cleveland up there with Pittsburgh as one of the states well known in the US for it's banality?

What about one of the Six Flags parks located elsewhere in the US?

http://www.sixflags.com/national/index.aspx

Last edited:
Online reviews of Cedar Point say it is THE place to go for rollercoasters... The others just have 1 or 2 good rides.

I agree, I don't want to go JUST for the roller coasters, so I'm looking for tips of other places to stay that aren't a million miles away and would make the trip worthwhile.

I don't know much about the US. I've never been to New York, but looking at the map it looks a fair distance away from Ohio, Cleveland.

I suppose I'd like to know what other people have done on a trip to the US that included a day or two at Cedar Point.

Do you drive?
Maybe you could visit the park over a day or two and then drive north to Michigan and visit the great lakes? Lake Erie is directly north of your location with lake Michigan north west. Or you could drive due west through 2 states into Illinois and visit Chicago?
Why are you intending to fly to NY? Do you want to see the Big Apple?

You could head south into Kentucky and Tennessee.
A visit to Memphis is well worth a trip.
When I was travelling across the States, the south was not to be missed imho.

If your not driving then you could use the Greyhound bus network that is more extensive than the train system and a lot cheaper.

Last edited:
Went to Cedar Point last year, and 2 years before that :) Awesome park , highly recommended. First time stayed in a Best Western about 10-15 minutes drive away, and 2nd time stayed in Hotel Breakers right on site. Would highly recommend that as you get in the park 1 hour before anyone else. Only did 4 days, as was in Chicago for the main part of the holiday. Did an internal flight from O'Hare to Cleveland international, and got picked up in a Limo because they ran out of Sedans :thumbsup: Highly Recommended! :)

Do you drive?
Maybe you could visit the park over a day or two and then drive north to Michigan and visit the great lakes? Lake Erie is directly north of your location with lake Michigan north west. Or you could drive due west through 2 states into Illinois and visit Chicago?
Why are you intending to fly to NY? Do you want to see the Big Apple?

I do drive, and although I'm a little nervous of driving on the wrong side of the road :D I think that's a great idea. I was originally thinking of using the train, but the freedom of hiring a car sounds like more sense.

Not intending to fly to New York. Would be nice to see the place, but I think I'll save that adventure for another time.

Thanks for your help. :)

Went to Cedar Point last year, and 2 years before that :) Awesome park , highly recommended. First time stayed in a Best Western about 10-15 minutes drive away, and 2nd time stayed in Hotel Breakers right on site. Would highly recommend that as you get in the park 1 hour before anyone else. Only did 4 days, as was in Chicago for the main part of the holiday. Did an internal flight from O'Hare to Cleveland international, and got picked up in a Limo because they ran out of Sedans :thumbsup: Highly Recommended! :)
Do you think 2 days is enough at Cedar Point? I'd defo consider staying on site, then hire a car and move on.

I'm now thinking I should cancel my hols with work (it would suit workloads at the moment anyway) and plan a longer excursion in a month or so.

Thanks for your help guys.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom