1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shops for demoing headphones?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by tom_painter85, Jun 13, 2005.

1. tom_painter85

tom_painter85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi All

I'm thinking about grabbing a pair of headphones for general home use - neighbours are starting to complain about Pink Floyd again!

I'm thinking of getting some Sennheisers - probably HD600s or 650s, but anything up to about £200 i'll consider.

Does anyone know of anywhere to demo some headphones in Hertfordshire? I've done a bit of internet hunting but nothing much seems to have come of it, so I thought I'd ask here.

Obviously I'm going to need a dedicated amp at some point, but I can't really afford both atm...hopefully buying in dribs and drabs will get around that :suicide:

Cheers in advance

Regards

Tom

2. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    What part of Herts are you in, I can't think of anywhere decent in my locale (Stevenage).

You may find a trip to London would help. If so Turnkey in Charing Cross Road have a decent stock of headphones and if you go armed with prices of internet sellers elesewhere they do tend to beat the price (they do check on the price and stock though).

Senn HD600 and HD650s do sound better via a headphone amp though. Best to try them though as you may not find much to convince you to go for the HD650 as they are a leap in price up from the HD600s (roughly £140 versus £250).

You may also want to think about Grado (or Alessandro) phones.

Steve

3. tom_painter85

tom_painter85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm about 10mins from you, just the other side of Watton-at-Stone. The best place I can think of off the top of my head is Ultimate Audio Visual in Hertford, but I'm not sure if the guy in there is into headphones - i'll have to pop in at the weekend. Failing that there's a pair of HD600s on ebay....

4. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Nearer than you think then I am at the Hertford end of Stevenage, just off the A602.

Drop me a PM if you'd like to hear my HD600 and HD650 this weekend. You could also try a set of Alessandro MS-2is as well.

I'll warn you though other people who came here for a listen upgraded headphones or source soon after so I'll apologise to your wallet now.

Steve

5. IanAG

IanAG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I demoed some Sennheisers at Sevenoaks in Watford about 6/7 years ago.

Also at Richards Audio (maybe AV, not 100% sure on name?) in St. Albans you should be able to get a demo too.

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I'll probably be after some half-decent headphones in a few weeks. Does anyone know if PJ Hifi have much in the way of headgear? :)