Shopping list ?

Z

Zoidy

im going out dvd player hunting saturday. . obviously its up to me what i like.. but so many players out there can any of you gimme a short list to demo to cut down on time plz :)

im after picture quality and cd playback as my main needs (sex with a hot swedish blonde also if poss ;))

sacd / dvd-a are something id like but not 100% must have though (sacd more than dvd a)

around and under the £500 mark

thanks in advance

oi .. gimme some suggestions.. takes 1 min of your time :p progressive scan is not important as i dont have a projector.

i know its the typical question.. but so many different flavours of the month heh

Well my suggestion would be to look for a Toshiba SD900e. It's a stunningly good player and has very good (for a DVD player that is) CD replay. It is also DVD-A, but alas not SACD.
I very much doubt you will find one in the shops as it has been discontinued for a while now, but when released was priced at around £1500, but if you can find one new they are around £500 now and at this price are a real bargain.
They might be available from LEConcepts (take a look at the forum sponsors above) as they seem to have bought them all up, but last I heard they were out of stock. Word of warning though, if LEC don't have any in stock DON'T place an order as they are not the best at fulfilling this type of order (do a search on here them if feeling brave!).

Mark.

yer almost ordered one once. but wasnt too sure on the quality of cd playback.. would i be better going for a player that has a top picture quality and then buy a nice cd player rather than trying to buy an "all in one" box.

if so any suggests for 2 box's? (nice dvd picture and a nice cd player):)

thanks

well.. been looking at a few sites.. i could maybe buy the arcam cd 72 + a hk 25. would this be a good combination ?

will i be able to play sacd on either of the above? or should i revise the cd player part? any suggestionssssss plz :p

ill pay for your time in kind ;)

Second Mark's suggestion of a SD900E. bad move not getting one previously as CD playback is absolutely top notch as is DVD playback. An absolute steal at £500 and even more so second hand at around the £350 mark.

ok.. hk looks promising..
anyone know if in rgb mode the picture gets thrown to the left? as i notice the pioneer 565 does have this problem

Zoidy - you might want to check out an Arcam DV78 - optimised for outstanding video and CD replay. A little above your budget but not way out.

Sincerely,

John Dawson (Arcam)

ahh well.. ended up buying a pioneer 668 for £499.. lovely picture and great 2 chan audio.

thing is, i cant get the digital coax output to work. my old player was hooked up via optical for both movies and music..
i managed to get a nice deal on some qed cables so i can now have 2 chan audio running through some qunex 2's and the movie sound running through a nice digi coax. the 2 chan audio works fine, but no DD or DTS. ive tried every setting on the player well i think, ive tried other cables, and even my old dvd player running with a coax lead. but still nothing. i have tried to adjust the input settings on the yamaha A2 but still nothing..

dont suppose anyone on the dvd forums has a suggestion? if not ill try amp forum

Bit of a stab in the dark here as I don't know either piece of equipment, but have you gone into the Yamaha set up menu and assigned the digital coax to the DVD input?

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom