Shopping during lockdown?

Went out to Lidl to get some things for my partner's parents, and I noticed they didn't have any toilet rolls either.

Went to Sainsbury’s Local on Sunday evening and managed to get supplies for my elderly aunty but was shocked to see a women there with 4 young children half of whom were coughing and to top it off they loitered by the entrance so it was a struggle for anyone to keep 6 feet from them when exiting the store :facepalm:

Hopped in the shower as soon as i got home and washed my clothes for good measure!

Quite a few people were stood in the aisles having a good old chinwag on Saturday. Flabbergasted.

Quite a few people were stood in the aisles having a good old chinwag on Saturday. Flabbergasted.
I expect the same thing happened when the 'bring out your dead' cart came through the streets of black death ridden london town....

Last edited:
Found this interesting.
Indeed.
Wish something like that had been available when I got my shopping in. I probably wouldn't have got infected if I'd known to do all those steps. But at the time the only advice was wash your hands and don't touch your face. Still is I think. Bugger all use if your shopping is contaminated.

Went to Sainsbury’s Local on Sunday evening and managed to get supplies for my elderly aunty but was shocked to see a women there with 4 young children half of whom were coughing and to top it off they loitered by the entrance so it was a struggle for anyone to keep 6 feet from them when exiting the store :facepalm:

Hopped in the shower as soon as i got home and washed my clothes for good measure!
Did you ask them to move? Or did the British tut tut :D

I have no problem to ask them nicely in my loudest and clearest voice whilst wearing a mask to fudge off out of the way :D

Did you ask them to move? Or did the British tut tut :D

I have no problem to ask them nicely in my loudest and clearest voice whilst wearing a mask to fudge off out of the way :D
The mother looked like she was struggling to control her brood of coughing kids, so I decided to hold my breath and dash past them as rapidly as I could!

Luckily I purchased a large bottle of Optrex Eye Wash last month, as made sure to bathe my eyes upon my return home to be on safe side too!

Austria is going to make it compulsory to wear masks in supermarkets from Wed

May be we need to self isolate our food too. Unless you can remove packing or wash the food, maybe leave it for 3 days before use?

Been following the rules, not been out shopping for 10 days. Tomorrow morning, either my wife or I is going to do a supermarket trip.

What is it like now. Understand that they only let so many in the store at a time, but once in are you restricted in the time you can spend or what you can buy.

Seen news reports today about convenience stores not being allowed to sell the Easter Eggs they have in stock - but unsure if that is genuine or just mister jobsworth at a particular council - note, already have Easter eggs so not after them.

Also heard about limited number of items. Presumably the same limit regardless of whether you are shopping for one or for six. But again not sure how true they are.

Just the wondering what restrictions there are and how they are enforced.

Cheers,

Nigel

Been following the rules, not been out shopping for 10 days. Tomorrow morning, either my wife or I is going to do a supermarket trip.

What is it like now. Understand that they only let so many in the store at a time, but once in are you restricted in the time you can spend or what you can buy.

Seen news reports today about convenience stores not being allowed to sell the Easter Eggs they have in stock - but unsure if that is genuine or just mister jobsworth at a particular council - note, already have Easter eggs so not after them.

Also heard about limited number of items. Presumably the same limit regardless of whether you are shopping for one or for six. But again not sure how true they are.

Cheers,

Nigel
AFAIK
Restrictions to 2 or 3 of any one item. But not to of any one type.
So just two or three 350g blocks of Tesco own brand mature cheddar but you could still buy two or three 350g blocks of Cathedral City mature cheddar. And the same again for extra mature cheddar, cheshire, wensleydale etc.

The enforcement logic would seem to be using product bar codes to restrict to 'of any one item'. But there is no such easy way to restrict to 'of any one type'. In this example, cheese

Enforced at the checkout. Once the till has rung up the 2-3 items any subsequent ones should trigger a computer says no scenario.

Last edited:
Cash transactions can be done online. Hygiene wise, there's no reason to think they are any different to buying any other takeaway or receiving any other delivery. You refusing things from your postman?
"Not sure how CASH transactions can be done online", I dont have a slot to insert cash into my phone or computer.

Yes I do allow the post to be delivered, but I disinfect everything before I touch it.... Do you? As there is no way of knowing what, if any, hygiene measures have been implemented at the vendors premises when manhandling your food, YOUR LIFE is quite literally IN THEIR HANDS.

"Not sure how CASH transactions can be done online", I dont have a slot to insert cash into my phone or computer.
You enter your bank card details and order online. I noticed Papa Johns was still doing deliveries so we had one Friday night. It gave me a break from cooking.
Yes I do allow the post to be delivered, but I disinfect everything before I touch it.... Do you? As there is no way of knowing what, if any, hygiene measures have been implemented at the vendors premises when manhandling your food, YOUR LIFE is quite literally IN THEIR HANDS.

The absorbent natural fibres in cardboard, however, may cause the virus to dry up more quickly than on plastic and metal, suggests Vincent Munster, head of the virus ecology section at Rocky Mountain Laboratories and one of those who led the NIH study.

“We speculate due to the porous material, it desiccates rapidly and might be stuck to the fibres,” he says.

You enter your bank card details and order online. .

..... CASH
/kaʃ/
money in coins or notes, as distinct from cheques, money orders, or credit.
  1. "the staff were paid in cash"
    synonyms:money, ready money/cash, currency, legal tender, hard cash; More
verb
  1. 1.
    give or obtain notes or coins

Cheers,

Nigel

In the last week the changes on social distancing are big, keep 2 m apart, queue to get in, lots of markings on floors, staff will persuade to step back 2m if you need till approval (i.e. booze), they are wiping down terminals after each user in asda. generally well organised.

..... CASH
/kaʃ/
verb
  1. 1.
Be genuine enough to quote everything ;) For example, it continues to state inter alia; Money in every form...

..... CASH
/kaʃ/
verb
  1. 1.
Can in a looser form can also refer to currency in general.

Can in a looser form can also refer to currency in general.

....but not recognised or referred to in that general manner ..." are you paying by cash or card " is recognised as a specific request enquiring as to which means of payment one wishes to choose to complete the transaction ....ie. "money in coins or notes".... "as distinct from cheques, money orders, or credit".

Payment by "money in coins or notes" is a physical transaction that cannot be completed electronically or verbally for the execution of a transaction, consequently it is not a valid means of payment in this circumstance.

Thus " pay by cash over the phone" is a confusingly contradictory statement, having no credence or validity in this context.

"money in every form" and " currency in general" are non-representative in this contextual circumstance as "every form" of money, specifically "Money in coins or notes" cannot be physically exchanged via telephone to complete the transaction.

I think we can move on from this now.

I’m still alive after 3 weeks of self isolating
Been to the shops once a week, just surprised at the queues and people not wearing masks (of some kind)
Queueing is fine, but shopping takes 4 times longer, you have these low paid security shouting stuff people, they have no gloves, no mask, and no bloody sense

I don’t know how long this is going to go on, no testing for the public, just told to stay indoors

but I’m feeling like a mushroom, kept in the dark and given BS in large quantities each day

Shopping is a huge effort now. Who ever does it leaves the shopping outside flat door. The other brings food bags to them. Bagged foods like bread, salad, etc are opened and emptied in to food bags. Air sealed food like meat/fish have their packaging washed. Thinks like milk cartons are wiped down.

We started doing this about two weeks ago after a microbiologist in Spain warned of ill people (not knowing they're ill) going to the supermarkets and contaminating items.

Shopping is a huge effort now. Who ever does it leaves the shopping outside flat door. The other brings food bags to them. Bagged foods like bread, salad, etc are opened and emptied in to food bags. Air sealed food like meat/fish have their packaging washed. Thinks like milk cartons are wiped down.

We started doing this about two weeks ago after a microbiologist in Spain warned of ill people (not knowing they're ill) going to the supermarkets and contaminating items.
Same here, the extra queuing etc & then the unpacking of shopping now takes another 20 mins at least,.oh well at least its clean 👍

Queueing is fine, but shopping takes 4 times longer, you have these low paid security shouting stuff people, they have no gloves, no mask, and no bloody sense

Our closest Sainsbury's has sulky staff shouting and gesticulating at people, funnily enough the Asda a bit further away has security doorman controlling the queue and on both occasions I've been there they've been cheery and friendly, lots of smiles and jokes and far more efficient at keeping the queue moving.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom