Shopping during lockdown?

Not sure as to whether or not this effects anyone, but Tesco are now limiting their online deliveries to 80 items or less.

Ocado are now allocating people who signed up to their delivery saver before 2020 one slot per week. They will send you a text or email to tell you what day it will be and you then pick a time and place your order.

Not sure as to whether or not this effects anyone, but Tesco are now limiting their online deliveries to 80 items or less.

80 items!

That's barely enough toilet roll to last a week in the current climate.

80 items!

That's barely enough toilet roll to last a week in the current climate.

I ordered 4 Supersoft rolls from Sainsbury's, but they are having to replace them with 9 rolls of quilted toilet paper.

I guess I'll just have to make do with the quilted ones. :(

9 rolls of quilted toilet paper.
29367e67ece3535345334e50faa437fa7aacd1fb.jpg

Same thing happened to me... I ordered a 9 pack they only had 24's left :facepalm:

You wouldn’t have developed symptoms that quickly if it was the fish box if I’m understanding the disease correctly. Is it 5 days incubation?
Apart from a temperature your symptoms are not typical for the virus either.
You’ll be fine.🤞
I thought so too until I read further. Not common but not unknown either, around 5%. Nasal congestion is mentioned as a symptom of infection.
What are the symptoms of the new coronavirus?

I agree about washing things. It’s not easy or practical sometimes.
2 years in a freezer is scary though. I think I’ll try and forget I know that. Paranoia could easily set in.
Survives on plastic for 3 days and if that plastic is stored at <7C in a fridge it can then can survive for up to 2 weeks or more.

Now just think of the stuff generally sold in plastic wrappers: cheese, uncooked and cooked meats etc. All sitting on open shelves in chilled cabinets waiting for someone infected to cough, sneeze, breath over or to handle them.

Some of this is likely going to be eaten as is on bread, handled with bare hands. Not sure how this can be dealt with. Possibly by washing all food deliveries of this type in something to kill any virus which might be on them before putting them into the fridge.

I'd relied on not handling for 24 hours/putting into cupboards and then washing hands.
I did the same with the fridge items but 24 hours is just not enough for them and 14+ days appears to be needed for chilled items to be potentially safe.

What I don’t understand is, you isolate for a month or so, you have had all your food delivered (somehow)

Can you go out after a month?

Even if you haven’t had any symptoms, You just followed the guidelines

Why isn’t the government telling us about people who have recovered from the virus but are very quick in telling us the death toll of the virus

I thought so too until I read further. Not common but not unknown either, around 5%. Nasal congestion is mentioned as a symptom of infection.
What are the symptoms of the new coronavirus?

Survives on plastic for 3 days and if that plastic is stored at <7C in a fridge it can then can survive for up to 2 weeks or more.

Now just think of the stuff generally sold in plastic wrappers: cheese, uncooked and cooked meats etc. All sitting on open shelves in chilled cabinets waiting for someone infected to cough, sneeze, breath over or to handle them.

Some of this is likely going to be eaten as is on bread, handled with bare hands. Not sure how this can be dealt with. Possibly by washing all food deliveries of this type in something to kill any virus which might be on them before putting them into the fridge.

I'd relied on not handling for 24 hours/putting into cupboards and then washing hands.
I did the same with the fridge items but 24 hours is just not enough for them and 14+ days appears to be needed for chilled items to be potentially safe.
It sounds like your problem is reading too much and scaring yourself. I did it too and was close to a meltdown, but have managed to put to one side any news that hasn’t come directly from the Government press conferences, local authority and police. Any other sources are filed as junk in my mind, all for the sake of my sanity.
I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said, but in terms of being able to take sensible positive action it’s useless information.
You‘re clearly already doing everything reasonable to stay safe, as am I. There‘s nothing more we can do. Trying to take extreme measures will make the lockdown so stressful as to be near impossible to put up with.
I hope you haven’t got it obviously and if you do that it’s a mild illness.
Try to stay calm. If necessary stay away from this part of the forum and ration your news intake.
I hope that came across as a friendly attempt to help which is what I intended.

I've not braved the Aldi yet, so gonna chance it in the next half or so.

By all accounts the two that are close to mine have been well stocked of everything and don't appear to have suffered the same level of ridiculousness we've seen at the likes of Sainsburys, Asda etc.

It sounds like your problem is reading too much and scaring yourself. I did it too and was close to a meltdown, but have managed to put to one side any news that hasn’t come directly from the Government press conferences, local authority and police. Any other sources are filed as junk in my mind, all for the sake of my sanity.
I'd rather be forewarned and forearmed than be lulled into a false sense of security. The government/official information, like their entire response so far, has been lacking. Following their advice I've still picked up an infection.

The information I'm now relying on is having to come from the horse's mouth. Things like this
The analysis of 22 studies reveals that human coronaviruses such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) coronavirus, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) coronavirus or endemic human coronaviruses (HCoV) can persist on inanimate surfaces like metal, glass or plastic for up to 9 days, but can be efficiently inactivated by surface disinfection procedures with 62–71% ethanol, 0.5% hydrogen peroxide or 0.1% sodium hypochlorite within 1 minute. Other biocidal agents such as 0.05–0.2% benzalkonium chloride or 0.02% chlorhexidine digluconate are less effective.

As no specific therapies are available for SARS-CoV-2, early containment and prevention of further spread will be crucial to stop the ongoing outbreak and to control this novel infectious thread.

https://www.journalofhospitalinfection.com/article/S0195-6701(20)30046-3/fulltext
I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said, but in terms of being able to take sensible positive action it’s useless information.
What? running a diluted bleach wipe over the surface of pre wrapped cheese or cooked meats packaging when they are delivered before storing them in the fridge is useless? Or removing the food and repacking. Domestic bleach (sodium hypochlorite) is typically around 0.8% strength or more. Just 0.1% concentration is required to kill viruses on the surface of packaging.

I'm mentioning all of this as an indication of how easy it can be to pick up an infection while self isolating. I've had no face to face contact for over 21 days but still have got infected by something.
I'm hoping just a cold or at worst a mild infection of covid-19.

The route of infection would have to have been either a food delivery (left outside and no contact with the driver), a prescription delivery (left outside and no contact with the driver), or via the mail
(which I'm not touching for over 24 hours). The food delivery looks to be the most likely cause due to the length of time the virus can remain active at lower temperatures. This possible route of infection can be blocked by following easy procedures, if you know to take them...
Try to stay calm. If necessary stay away from this part of the forum and ration your news intake.
I hope that came across as a friendly attempt to help which is what I intended.
I took it as that but sadly I think the help given not that great an idea.
More information, not less is needed at this point in time.

At the moment we are akin to the child who for the first time learns that the impressive walls of the fortress he has made from sand at the beach will be undermined by the waves. Self isolation will not work to prevent infection when it can be delivered to our doors.

Last edited:
I've not braved the Aldi yet, so gonna chance it in the next half or so.

By all accounts the two that are close to mine have been well stocked of everything and don't appear to have suffered the same level of ridiculousness we've seen at the likes of Sainsburys, Asda etc.

Went to ALDI yesterday and stock wasn’t a problem.

Other customers were anther matter though. Most were sensible enough, however some were just dumb beyond belief, in not keeping a safe distance. Checkout staff had to serve customers and police the safe distance rules themselve, no security help whatsoever.
Shocking how quite a few just still don’t get the ‘YOU MAY DIE‘ situation unfolding before us.
Sure, they will most likely LIVE, but I’m not a gambling man when it comes to my life.

There is a good reason why it’s sensible for one person to do the shopping. It means less people in the shop and makes it easier to social distance.

Took a chance yesterday, got the early bus from the village, 20 min. walk to Waitrose, long queue but only about 20 min. to get in (note to self: fine weather only - exposed site), got more or less what I needed (mostly fruit and veg, so can't overdo it), paid and out 42 min. after getting there. ½ mile walk and bus home.
Could get delivery from Waitrose but £60 minimum; no slots at Morrisons although I might just be able to manage the £30 min.
Have to take the chance just to get food. Next door has offered to add my items to their delivery but I'm reluctant to go near them - very bright family and far more important than I.

Really fancy a curry later, local still deliver with face mask and gloves. Anyone still getting the odd delivery?

I live within walking distance of a services that's just off the motorway and accessible to me by walking across fields. I combined my daily exercise yesterday with a foraging trip and took a walk over there @5:30 on Friday. It was bizarre. The car park was completely empty aside from one van and just the WHSmith and M&S food shop open. There was nobody else in there apart from me and the one member of staff stocking shelves.

I was quite pleased with the stack of profiteroles I picked up but not exactly essential supplies. If I hadn't already got dinner planned I could have filled my basket with half price chinese ready meals. There's a lorry park there, but I'm guessing most lorry drivers don't shop in the M&S so it looks like their day is spent stocking the shelves, followed by sticking reduced stickers on the expiring stuff and finally throwing it out. Judging by the lack of footfall and the amount of food on the shelves that was reduced and going out of date the food wastage must be enormous. I really hope its going to a food bank but I somehow doubt it. Quite honestly they'd be better off closing the shop and diverting the food somewhere where it's needed. I just can't see the point of leaving it open.

Really fancy a curry later, local still deliver with face mask and gloves. Anyone still getting the odd delivery?
How many door handles and door bells have those gloved hands touched, not to mention the filthy money they have collected.....you'll get more than the curry- trots.

How many door handles and door bells have those gloved hands touched, not to mention the filthy money they have collected.....you'll get more than the curry- trots.
Cash transactions can be done online. Hygiene wise, there's no reason to think they are any different to buying any other takeaway or receiving any other delivery. You refusing things from your postman?

My local Indian isn't taking cash, you pay over the phone, the guy delivers it to your front door, phones as he's approaching to make sure you're in then chaps the door and runs away.

We did our weekly shop at our usual Aldi around 5pm yesterday. Queued outside for about 10 minutes 2 metres apart from others, then they were keeping numbers in the store down. Got everything we needed, including some pasta at last. The only thing they didn't have was toilet rolls. Was a strange shopping experience.

I have a quick question, I do not drive and there are no shops within walking distance of my house. I need to get groceries, is my boyfriend who lives with me okay to drive me to the supermarket as long as we both do not go in? I need to get a few things for family members who are self isolating...
You may cut your chances of getting it by half but if it is picked up then unfortunate. When I get home i wipe my eyes with a flannel soaked in warm water. I carry a proper handkerchief around and frequently have a blow to remove any bugs who just love such places. Keeping hands away from face is always a problem. Wipe any trolley before you touch it. Don't forget even the products you buy could be contaminated. I am not sure if wearing shades is a good idea but will certainly stop direct attack from the front so maybe good idea? We need some tee shirts with the appropriate notice back and front. Never go into a public Loo, difficult for some like me with severe urgency but at my age better to PMP a bit than get the virus. PS for Loo roll use newspaper cut up with your favourite politician on view.

What I don’t understand is, you isolate for a month or so, you have had all your food delivered (somehow)

Can you go out after a month?

Even if you haven’t had any symptoms, You just followed the guidelines

Why isn’t the government telling us about people who have recovered from the virus but are very quick in telling us the death toll of the virus

This is why the antibody tests need to get sorted as quickly as the main test. We have no way of knowing exactly how many people may have had it without realising and now have some kind of immunity.

You may cut your chances of getting it by half but if it is picked up then unfortunate. When I get home i wipe my eyes with a flannel soaked in warm water. I carry a proper handkerchief around and frequently have a blow to remove any bugs who just love such places. Keeping hands away from face is always a problem. Wipe any trolley before you touch it. Don't forget even the products you buy could be contaminated. I am not sure if wearing shades is a good idea but will certainly stop direct attack from the front so maybe good idea? We need some tee shirts with the appropriate notice back and front. Never go into a public Loo, difficult for some like me with severe urgency but at my age better to PMP a bit than get the virus. PS for Loo roll use newspaper cut up with your favourite politician on view.
Don’t use a “proper handkerchief”. 😬 Yuk. Ever heard the phrase catch it, kill it, bin it? Just use a tissue and dispose of it. Much more hygienic. Especially when concerning this virus.

I’ll behave and won’t enquire more about you frequenting public toilets ;) 😂

I'm not keen on trying to queue to get into any of the big supermarkets at the moment. I'm fortunate enough to have a local 24 hour shop near and I find they have almost everything I need plus no queueing and easy to social distance from other customers at 5am.

I went to Morrison's today at 1pm assuming people would still be having Sunday dinners.

Was mostly empty so got a big shop in for my 80+ mum & mum-in-law. Were limiting how many milk; bread; toilet roll you could buy.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom