Shopping during lockdown?

Jenna98

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question, I do not drive and there are no shops within walking distance of my house. I need to get groceries, is my boyfriend who lives with me okay to drive me to the supermarket as long as we both do not go in? I need to get a few things for family members who are self isolating...

Yes that's fine. You are able to go out shopping for necessities.

Just be sensible and keep the distancing rules etc as best you can. That of course relies on other people too.

Thank you! I haven’t wanted to go to shops etc and have been using up everything in the house but I didn’t panic buy at the start so now running low!

Thank you! I haven’t wanted to go to shops etc and have been using up everything in the house but I didn’t panic buy at the start so now running low!

I popped into M&S food hall for a few things this afternoon and it was very orderly..
Everything was well stocked and apart from keeping 2 meters apart, all was normal

If your boyfriend lives with you, you don't need to distance from him in public.

Even better; why not make the boyfriend become useful and let him do the shopping 👍 Less people about, there is ordinarily no need for two people do shop for groceries.

Even better; why not make the boyfriend become useful and let him do the shopping 👍 Less people about, there is ordinarily no need for two people do shop for groceries.

If the two people are from the same household there is absolutely no problem with them shopping together. The social distancing doesn't apply to members of the same household.

If the two people are from the same household there is absolutely no problem with them shopping together. The social distancing doesn't apply to members of the same household.
It doesn’t as per the rules. But don’t you think the less risk there is the better?

It doesn’t as per the rules. But don’t you think the less risk there is the better?

What additional risk? These are two people living together, they are likely sitting on the same sofa and sleeping in the same bedroom.

As long as they follow the rules and maintain social isolation with other people whilst out and sanitise/wash hands etc there isn't really an issue.

What additional risk? These are two people living together, they are likely sitting on the same sofa and sleeping in the same bedroom.

As long as they follow the rules and maintain social isolation with other people whilst out and sanitise/wash hands etc there isn't really an issue.
So instead of one at risk of not maintaining social distancing either by themselves or by someone else, or not handling what they touch correctly. Then there is double the respiratory FFP2 masks they'd use, and so on.

The advice is very clear, why be 'clever' about it and increase the chances or opportunities when there is no need? Save those 'lives' for a trip to the hospital as and when the time comes and take it very seriously right now.

My local Tesco is only allowing 1 person 1 trolley and only a few people can go in at once.

What additional risk?
You can be as careful as you like but if someone carrying the virus doesn't distance themselves and barges past you both, you have doubled the risk that your household will get it.

Just been to M&S for opening. Small queue, all distancing themselves and chatting.

Some moron standing at the entrance behind the barrier giving the girl organising the queue some general abuse as she won't let him skip it or something. The queue tells him to behave and he starts frothing at the mouth. A Police car passes by and a couple of us signal them, he decides to move on.

I really despair....:(

I am trying to avoid shopping as I'm concerned about picking up a product that someone else has already picked up and put back.
One idea I've had is to buy Exante diet food packs. Maybe I can lose weight and have weeks of food in without going out at all.

I am trying to avoid shopping as I'm concerned about picking up a product that someone else has already picked up and put back.
One idea I've had is to buy Exante diet food packs. Maybe I can lose weight and have weeks of food in without going out at all.
There’s a flaw with your plan sadly.
DF8CBD9F-5019-407B-9E5E-CC58DC47AD83.png

Go shopping alone, if you can.

why double the chances of catching the virus, double the chances of giving it to others and finally double the amount of people being in the shop, meaning it takes people longer to queue.

As this was just kicking off and I was self-isolating I signed up for Tesco Same-Day Delivery Saver @ £9.99 per month for 6 months

I can't use it now for same-day or any day deliveries as they're understandably snowed under and more to the point I shouldn't be using it as I'm not vulnerable or elderly.

I can't talk to anyone at Tesco as all the options for any of the services just direct you to an app of the website and for Delivery Saver you've to contact them via Whatsapp, so I did, 10 hrs ago with no response.

As this was just kicking off and I was self-isolating I signed up for Tesco Same-Day Delivery Saver @ £9.99 per month for 6 months

I can't use it now for same-day or any day deliveries as they're understandably snowed under and more to the point I shouldn't be using it as I'm not vulnerable or elderly.

I can't talk to anyone at Tesco as all the options for any of the services just direct you to an app of the website and for Delivery Saver you've to contact them via Whatsapp, so I did, 10 hrs ago with no response.

There's little point trying to contact any of the supermarkets right now. I've given up. Clearly though others haven't, as the lines are still jammed. Can't even begin to imagine how many e-mails/tweets/messages they've got to sift through as well.

Go shopping alone, if you can.

why double the chances of catching the virus, double the chances of giving it to others and finally double the amount of people being in the shop, meaning it takes people longer to queue.
We've managed to get a click n collect for weekend, I'm going on my own to get it, no point risking more chance of contact.

Starting to get paranoid about contamination on packaging now though.

Edit: hoping the collect point is outside to reduce risk.

We've managed to get a click n collect for weekend, I'm going on my own to get it, no point risking more chance of contact.

Starting to get paranoid about contamination on packaging now though.

Edit: hoping the collect point is outside to reduce risk.
With good reason.
I haven't been within 7m of anyone for almost a month now. I haven't been out of the house or garden for over a fortnight. But sometime in the last couple of days I've picked up an infection. So far it may just be a cold as the only symptom is a runny nose, sneezing and a raised temperature for two days now. Time will tell if it is anything more serious than that.

The only things which may have carried the infection was the mail, the medications delivered from the chemist or the packaging of a grocery order.....

With good reason.
I haven't been within 7m of anyone for almost a month now. I haven't been out of the house or garden for over a fortnight. But sometime in the last couple of days I've picked up an infection. So far it may just be a cold as the only symptom is a runny nose, sneezing and a raised temperature for two days now. Time will tell if it is anything more serious than that.

The only things which may have carried the infection was the mail, the medications delivered from the chemist or the packaging of a grocery order.....
A timely reminder to wash items and hands after deliveries. Thank you.
Fingers crossed it‘s just a cold. Catching it that way after being so careful would be cruel.
Feel better soon.

A timely reminder to wash items and hands after deliveries. Thank you.
Fingers crossed it‘s just a cold. Catching it that way after being so careful would be cruel.
Feel better soon.
Thanks
I was washing hands but not items.
How practicable is it to wash a bag of sugar or a box of pills when all you have available is soap and water? I suspect infection may have come off a box off frozen fish as that was what I touched the day before the symptoms started. As it had been in my freezer for around a week I thought it would be OK. So I'm not sure if I washed my hands afterwards.

Then saw something saying coronavirus can remain viable for up to two years if frozen....:eek:
In general, coronaviruses are very stable in a frozen state according to studies of other coronaviruses, which have shown survivalfor up to two years at -20°C. Studies conducted onSARS-CoV ad MERS-CoV indicate that these viruses can persist on different surfaces for up to a few days depending on a combination of parameters such as temperature, humidity and light. For example, at refrigeration temperature (4°C), MERS-CoV can remain viable for up to 72 hours.

Current evidence on other coronavirus strains shows that while coronaviruses appear to be stable at low and freezing temperatures for a certain period, food hygiene and good food safety practices can prevent their transmission through food. Specifically, coronaviruses are thermolabile, which means that they are susceptible to normal cooking temperatures (70°C). Therefore, as a general rule, the consumption of raw or undercooked animal products should be avoided. Raw meat, raw milk or raw animal organs should be handled with care to avoid cross-contamination with uncooked foods.
https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...0221-sitrep-32-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=4802d089_2

Also there is the potential problem with the washing hands advice. What about the taps?
Virus on hands, turn on taps, virus now on taps. Wash hands, turn off taps, virus now on hands again...

Last edited:
Thanks
I was washing hands but not items.
How practicable is it to wash a bag of sugar or a box of pills when all you have available is soap and water? I suspect infection may have come off a box off frozen fish as that was what I touched the day before the symptoms started. As it had been in my freezer for around a week I thought it would be OK. So I'm not sure if I washed my hands afterwards.

Then saw something saying coronavirus can remain viable for up to two years if frozen....:eek:
In general, coronaviruses are very stable in a frozen state according to studies of other coronaviruses, which have shown survivalfor up to two years at -20°C. Studies conducted onSARS-CoV ad MERS-CoV indicate that these viruses can persist on different surfaces for up to a few days depending on a combination of parameters such as temperature, humidity and light. For example, at refrigeration temperature (4°C), MERS-CoV can remain viable for up to 72 hours.

Current evidence on other coronavirus strains shows that while coronaviruses appear to be stable at low and freezing temperatures for a certain period, food hygiene and good food safety practices can prevent their transmission through food. Specifically, coronaviruses are thermolabile, which means that they are susceptible to normal cooking temperatures (70°C). Therefore, as a general rule, the consumption of raw or undercooked animal products should be avoided. Raw meat, raw milk or raw animal organs should be handled with care to avoid cross-contamination with uncooked foods.
https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...0221-sitrep-32-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=4802d089_2
You wouldn’t have developed symptoms that quickly if it was the fish box if I’m understanding the disease correctly. Is it 5 days incubation?
Apart from a temperature your symptoms are not typical for the virus either.
You’ll be fine.🤞
I agree about washing things. It’s not easy or practical sometimes.
2 years in a freezer is scary though. I think I’ll try and forget I know that. Paranoia could easily set in.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom