Shopping at Aldi / Lidl

BName

Ex Member
Reaction score
Does anyone do Grocery shopping at Aldi ? What are the best items to buy etc for one if possible ?

Does anyone do Grocery shopping at Aldi

We don't do a full weekly shop, but we do go there quite a bit.

What are the best items to buy etc for one if possible ?
:rotfl: seriously? You want people to tell you what to buy?
I suggest you just go in and get what you want.

One thing to think about, take your own bags and be prepaired to pack them very quickly.

We would make a point of buying cold cuts if we are in the area. Really good value for stuff like that in comparison to Tesco & Sainsburys etc.

We get some items from there but we don't do a full shop.

The bakery section is good.
Their ground coffee is utterly disgusting.
The tinned goods are a bit hit and miss, the own brand beans and tomato soup are foul but the rest is OK.
The cereal is OK for the kids stuff but avoid the bran flakes / fruit and fibre like the plague.
Fruit and veg can be it bit variable, it used to be superb at out local branch but recently we've had stuff going bad quite quickly, especially the apples and lettuce.
The frozen food is pretty good.
The cold meats are good, especially if you like salami type things.
They have some nice beers but the wine can be very hit and miss.
The choceur (sp) brand chocolate is very nice.

Some of the vegetables and also the fruit - BUT - you have to be very choosy (because the counters aren't chilled and the food soon deteriorates). We have found in our area, that the very best places to buy fruit and vegetables are found in the outdoor markets where there is also plenty of 'buzz', the quality is fantastic - and if you want bargains then go a bit late.

We don't do the regular weekly shop tin Aldi either but we do go from time to time.

The cold cut meats are pretty good and they have a wide range too. I buy their men's 3-blade razor blades.

There are lots of 'look-a-like' products in Aldi. They range from things like Red Bull to Pimms No 1 to various breakfast cereals. They also have pretty good sauces and spices, chocolates and wine.

What you save you will spend back and more on all the weird 'bits and bats' they sell. Some of their toilet rolls wipe well for the money.

Actually, it might be best to keep out the place because if you shop at Aldi, you will totally surprise yourself when you find out just what Aldi sell that you just cannot manage to live without.

Last edited:
Just got back from mine.

Plenty of fresh UK sourced products and plenty of little treats to keep the GF happy.

I find an mp3 player makes shopping there that little bit better :rotfl:

Milk

You can have it with cereal, tea, coffee it can be used for making sauces... milk is very versatile and it's good to have it always in stock. You might even be able to churn some butter..

don't get me started on butter, do you like toast?

Lots of look alike stuff, like Bray Fentos pies :)

The Mrs swears that the Norpack is Lurpak packaged differently. She is also a fan of their cheese selection.

It can be good when they have 'themes' (such as American or the recent Mexican week). Samuel Adams beer was dirt cheap!

Personally, I hate the place. I don't like the whole checkout system where they toss the stuff at you and you have to skulk off by the window to pack.

Ste7en said:
Lots of look alike stuff, like Bray Fentos pies :)

The Mrs swears that the Norpack is Lurpak packaged differently. She is also a fan of their cheese selection.

It can be good when they have 'themes' (such as American or the recent Mexican week). Samuel Adams beer was dirt cheap!

Personally, I hate the place. I don't like the whole checkout system where they toss the stuff at you and you have to skulk off by the window to pack.

But it's why they're so much cheaper cashiers have a speed target 50% higher than sainsburys allowing fewer staff and overheads. The staff are worked ragged compared to the normal supermarkets.

We don't do a full weekly shop, but we do go there quite a bit.

:rotfl: seriously? You want people to tell you what to buy?
I suggest you just go in and get what you want.

Not wanting to be told what to buy exactly just rather ideas on what others buy. As for going into a store and buying what i want well.............. I had better shut up now before a moderator silences me.

Milk

You can have it with cereal, tea, coffee it can be used for making sauces... milk is very versatile and it's good to have it always in stock. You might even be able to churn some butter..

don't get me started on butter, do you like toast?

Sometimes yes.

But it's why they're so much cheaper cashiers have a speed target 50% higher than sainsburys allowing fewer staff and overheads. The staff are worked ragged compared to the normal supermarkets.

I don't care. It really puts me off doing a big shop there. Despite some weeks we could do with doing a full shop there.

balidey said:
One thing to think about, take your own bags and be prepaired to pack them very quickly.

You put the stuff on the belt , get it scanned then put it back in trolley and then bag it after you have paid at ours , you would get lynched if you tried to bag it as it was scanned at our aldi !!!!!

You put the stuff on the belt , get it scanned then put it back in trolley and then bag it after you have paid at ours , you would get lynched if you tried to bag it as it was scanned at our aldi !!!!!

That is the proper way to do it and take it over to the packing shelf at the back.

Get over to Waitrose, it's like a luxury food hotel compared to Aldi, Netto etc

I got called 'chum' in a fairly 'posh' accent, by a Waitrose employee on the deli counter.

But never have I felt more like a fish out of water than when I went to Jewsons last..

Love Waitrose - civilised shopping. I have a feeling Aldi would confuse me. I assume I'm not going to be called "Sir" and taken to the exact place if I ask where something is ?

rousetafarian said:

Nothing posh about waitrose , you just pay more because you think it is ;)

Nothing posh about waitrose , you just pay more because you think it is ;)

I don't shop at waitrose on a regular basis, but I would pay a bit more to shop somewhere that I felt less stressed.

I find the cheaper the store, the more people there are and the more stress it causes.

I hate the sales..

With the car boot lid up, we transfer the Aldi shopping into Waitrose bags just to bring it in to the house.

(Some of our neighbours are funny buggers and we wouldn't want to go bringing the tone down)

;)

You people still go to stores to buy things?:rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom