Shooting whilst driving.

djfonti

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

i was wondering whether I'm doing something wrong, as when I'm driving there is little control over shooting at the same time as RS also controls the camera, meaning I can spray in the general direction of the target but not have a meaningful, prolonged aim. Is that how it is meant to be? You can't aim prior to shooting as well, you aim after you have started shooting.....am I doing something wrong? I rented the game so have no manual.....

I can't find an auto-aim option for shooting whilst driving, but have you tried pressing and holding B, which changes the camera focus to the vehicle you are chasing?

It doesn't work for free roaming situations though. :(

I think you've pretty much covered it. It's not easy is it? :)

I wouldn't worry too much about not having a manual either, there's virtually nothing in it anyway :)

I've never tried shooting at another car with a sub machine gun while driving in real life but I imagine it's at least as hard as it is in GTA IV. :D

Unfortunately you have it correct, despite being crucial to a LOT of the missions, the shocking control system makes it virtually impossible to shoot from a vehicle with any accuracy whatsoever.

Your only hope is to use an machine gun type weapon and carry plenty of ammo. Just spray and pray basically.

not played any of the single player yet - on muliplayer their is no auto aim in cars so its best to get behind opponents cars and shoot the tyres out so they loose handeling control and spin out.

the shocking control system makes it virtually impossible to shoot from a vehicle with any accuracy whatsoever.

It's a vast improvement over the previous games where you could only shoot sideways.

For those struggling with the aiming, you can often save your ammo - if I have one gripe with the game, it's how often the car chases seem to be scripted, and you cannot destroy a vehicle/kill its occupants until you've reached a predefined location. Takes away a lot of the "anything could happen" feeling that GTA is renowned for.

It's a vast improvement over the previous games where you could only shoot sideways.

For those struggling with the aiming, you can often save your ammo - if I have one gripe with the game, it's how often the car chases seem to be scripted, and you cannot destroy a vehicle/kill its occupants until you've reached a predefined location. Takes away a lot of the "anything could happen" feeling that GTA is renowned for.

I agree, there`s been more than the odd mission where when a chase starts I`m well within range and peppering the guys car/bike only for it to have no effect whatsoever. Would be nice for some indicator to say when your shots will have an effect.

I just try to shoot when there right in front of me, I also agree its a big pain when you shoot them loads, can see the blood coming off them but they will not die untill reaching a certain place. :mad: Still a great game though. :smashin:

I agree, there`s been more than the odd mission where when a chase starts I`m well within range and peppering the guys car/bike only for it to have no effect whatsoever. Would be nice for some indicator to say when your shots will have an effect.

These annoyed me too.

I found as soon as the elastic band effect stopped (i.e you could never get within about 50 yards, but as soon as you crashed yourself they slowed to a crawl), then shooting was an option.

The mission where you have to
grab hold of the back of the lorry full of heroin was the worst pre-scripted moment of the game for me. All the cars in the immediate vicinity were magically locked and couldn't be broken into, and when I did finally get to a car that would open and drove infront of the lorry I pumped shotgun round after round into the driver. Nowt, nadda, nothing. I played it about 4 times, each blowing up the lorry and failing the mission before I realised you were supposed to go after the lorry on foot and grab onto the back....

WHAT??!!!?? Thats about as far from playing how you want to as you can get. All to do that stupid mini game of
rolling around on top of the stupid lorry as it goes around corners

These annoyed me too.

I found as soon as the elastic band effect stopped (i.e you could never get within about 50 yards, but as soon as you crashed yourself they slowed to a crawl), then shooting was an option.

The mission where you have to
grab hold of the back of the lorry full of heroin was the worst pre-scripted moment of the game for me. All the cars in the immediate vicinity were magically locked and couldn't be broken into, and when I did finally get to a car that would open and drove infront of the lorry I pumped shotgun round after round into the driver. Nowt, nadda, nothing. I played it about 4 times, each blowing up the lorry and failing the mission before I realised you were supposed to go after the lorry on foot and grab onto the back....

WHAT??!!!?? Thats about as far from playing how you want to as you can get. All to do that stupid mini game of
rolling around on top of the stupid lorry as it goes around corners.
Cheers thats another mission I will not find out for myself.;)

Cheers for the reply lads......aah well, I guess I will just having to keep 'spraying and praying'.......

Let go of the accelerator and coast when shooting.

I really can't see how the controls are shocking - it'd be a little stupid if you could lock on to a target whilst driving as in reality you could never be this accurate, the trick is to try not to floor it when you're firing, and just pick your moments on the straights.

A little blob of blu-tack in the centre of your screen is a great cross-hair when the game doesn't offer you one. Line up the blu-tack using the camera controls with your target then unload your weapon with the left button in the right direction without wasting ammo :smashin:

A little blob of blu-tack in the centre of your screen is a great cross-hair when the game doesn't offer you one. Line up the blu-tack using the camera controls with your target then unload your weapon with the left button in the right direction without wasting ammo :smashin:
I am not putting Blu-tack on my £2500 TV :eek:, its not got a mark on it. ;)

I am not putting Blu-tack on my £2500 TV :eek:, its not got a mark on it. ;)

I agree, its madness to put blu-tack on an lcd display. I`d go for chewing gum instead! ;-)

Perhaps two lengths of thin thread attached somehow to the outercasing corners which cross exactly at the midpoint of the screen..?

Or maybe mount a keyring lazer pointer somewhere in your living room so it makes a little red dot right in the middle of your screen..?

Just need a little thinking outside the box people :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom