Shooting while wearing glasses?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Thumpermawer, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Thumpermawer

Thumpermawer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    I've been unlucky enough to need glasses since I was a wee lad, and have always worn them while photographising. I tried using the dioptric converter in they eyecup of my camera, but didn't like adjusting for being able to see through the lens, to blind when I take it away from my eye. Taking glasses on and off is a bit of a faff too, so I never really tried to persevere and went straight back to shooting while wearing specs.

I happened across some advice in a manual that said when not using the eyepiece, a cover should be attached to prevent any stray light from affecting the image. Is this overkill? Are you a glasses wearer that takes them off when using a camera?

2. wysinawyg

wysinawyg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    I've seen it as advice for long exposures, doubt it would do much in typical use.

I hadn't realised (until it was mentioned recently on something I was watching) but if you're a Canon user that odd piece of rubber that came on the strap that you don't know what it's for - that's the cover for the eyepiece.

3. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,712
    Can you not get an optional eyecup for use with spectacles - what camera model are you using ?

4. stearman65

stearman65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    I'm in my late seventies & have worn glasses since my forties. For the last 25 years I've worn Vari Focal lenses & using the viewfinder has always been a fag. The DSLR's I've owned always came with an eyepiece cover & instructions to use it when using a tripod & remote shutter release. Since 2011 I've used bridge cameras, a Panny FZ150 & currently an FZ1000. The 150 didn't have a rubber eyecup & I used all sorts of home made foam protection to prevent my glasses being scratched. I took 1000's of images still & video with the 150 & had more goodies than failures. Before I bought the 150 replacement the 1000, I made sure it had a rubber eye cup & the viewfinder is still my preferred method of taking a shot. I only use the screen when viewing what I've taken or when on a tripod. I believe that bridge cameras don't need the cover to prevent light getting in.

5. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,082
    As above, you only need the viewfinder cover for long exposures, although tbh I've never used them even for shots over 2 mins (mainly because the cover is still in the box in the loft ;)). I don't think mirrorless or bridge cameras need viewfinder covers as they use EVF's which are sealed units and don't pass light through optics like SLR's/DSLRs.

Wearing glasses with photography is a pain. I wear contacts most of the time, but occasionally I've shot with glasses and it's really annoying so I feel you pain :(

6. damo_in_sale

damo_in_sale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    22005147_o.jpg These? :thumbsup:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Phill104

Phill104

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +328
    Try one of these, I cannot comment how well they work as I am fortunate to have good eyesight -
    Hoodman Eyecup For Glasses Review

8. Gregoy Finchman

Gregoy Finchman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've been using glasses for a very long time. I'm a higher myopia patient. I literally go blind without them. When it comes to take photos, nothing was comfortable. for me. So finally I got a very simple solution. I know it's not perfect but it works for me. I got a very small pair of glasses for me. My eyes are big (no wonder), and the glasses are about the same size of my eyes. You can try something like this.

9. stearman65

stearman65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211