Shooting through glass

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by ryanyboy, Jan 31, 2009.

1. ryanyboy

ryanyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just wondering - does shooting through glass affect the image quality of a picture. In particular I'm talking about the thick double glazed glass you get at zoos etc.

Logic tells me the glass would impact upon the image in the same way a poor quality UV filter would. So I'm expecting a few answers along the lines of "of course it does your muppet" :D

But I would be grateful if someone could confirm for sure.

Ta

Kermit.

2. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    A CP filter may help, compared to a cheap UV one, minimizes reflections, you can get a Hoya Pro D one for £30 on ebay uk, RRP is £50, any chance you can loan me that Nikon 105 Macro of yours...:D, want to test one out before I put down 500 big ones

3. ryanyboy

ryanyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

If you in Richmond Park next Sunday morning (8th) you can try the lens with pleasure :)

On the glass issue I was referring to the actual image quality - I know about the reflection issue and although I chose not to use a CP I did check for reflections in the glass before firing. I was reflection-free in 90% of the shots so that was ok :smashin:

My query relates to the actual image quality (ie sharpness, colour, contrast etc).

Any thoughts......

4. denno75uk

denno75uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +574
    Just thoughts, not facts, but I would have thought that shooting through glass would definitely affect colour and contrast, even if it doesn't affect sharpness. Unless you can place the lens right up to the glass and perfectly perpendicular, then there'll be a certain amount of reflection and refraction that will affect the light your lens receives. Even if you don't have a reflection that is visibly apparent, there is still an amount of reflection going on your side, and perhaps more importantly on the other side of the glass which I presume will alter the colour and contrast of the resulting image.
    With regards sharpness, it's often quite apparent how imperfect glazing glass is, especially over a large area, but even over a small area it's fair to think there'll still be imperfections. I guess that they are minimised by the focus on the subject and DOF in the same way that you can almost render chainlink fencing invisible.
    At the end of the day, the photo will speak for itself and you can judge any negative effects for yourself, but pedantically I'd say shooting through glass will affect a photo.

5. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    I took these the same day, this was taken through glass and wire mess :

[​IMG]

This was taken up against the fence no glass :

[​IMG]

6. Suits Me

Suits Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Here's a shot through glass of a triple expansion engine :) just try to keep extraneous light to a mininmum and the lens tight against the glass.

[​IMG]

7. ryanyboy

ryanyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Well the way I see it the one shot without glass in the way has better colours and is sharper too. Agreed?

Which pretty much goes with the results I've got myself.

If I'm right; next time I go to the zoo I'm going over the fence and will take my chances.

Or maybe I won't :D

8. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    I do agree, here's a couple more taken on a trip to longleat.

Through glass :

[​IMG]

No Glass :

[​IMG]

9. Mike.P®

Mike.P®

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I have always found you get a slight haze to pictures when shooting through glass. It def loses some sharpness and contrast when doing so.
    The overall picture is much "sparklier" without glass in the way.

10. johnaalex

johnaalex
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,912
    As I have said before everything we take is through glass, but some glass is worse than others. The effect of the glass will not just depend on how close you are to it, but the overall lighting on the subject. I have even managed some reasonable shots through aircraft windows ;)

As far as I am concerned if the only way to get the shot is through a glass shield then try and make the best of a bad situation with respect to how close to the glass you can get and try and be as perpendicular as possible (ooh missus :devil::D). Better a half way decent shot than no shot at all - the quality of the picture is not just about clarity (so I am told ;))

I took this through some very dirty glass:

[​IMG]

Photo editing software such as PSE 6 can also help with a lot of the "imperfections" :thumbsup:

11. Jas H

Jas H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Yes, glass will definitely make the IQ worse. That's why we all chase better & multi coated filters, rather than just cheap ones :)

Having said that, sometimes you just take the best shot possible and put up with the glass being there, and if the glass is clean & lens good, you can get away with it. Here are a few shots, through double glazing using a Canon 100-400L IS lens.

Starling is with 5Dii, the others with 40D.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, yes, it is possible to get acceptable images through even a double sheet of glass :smashin:

12. Mike.P®

Mike.P®

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    There are of course times where I would prefer to have the glass there. :rolleyes: