• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Shooting the Moon

sachin

Standard Member
Hello everyone,

How would I take very close up pictures of the moon? What kind of lens would I need?

Thanks,

Sachin

eduk

Distinguished Member
Hello everyone,

How would I take very close up pictures of the moon? What kind of lens would I need?

Thanks,

Sachin

How about using a telescope with adapter?

eduk

Distinguished Member
I don't have a telescope but I was wondering is there any zoom lens I could use on my camera to take the pictures?

Not very close-ups as in your OP.

I guess a 400mm with heavy cropping might give you something though. It's something I intend to try at 400mm myself, but the problem I would have, apart from weather, is street lighting.

*I also think full moon shots are flat and boring, I'd shoot half moon etc.

senu

Distinguished Member
Not very close-ups as in your OP.

I guess a 400mm with heavy cropping might give you something though. It's something I intend to try at 400mm myself, but the problem I would have, apart from weather, is street lighting.

*I also think full moon shots are flat and boring, I'd shoot half moon etc.
For any close up, a 400mm is a minimum ( even then you would crop) on a crop sensor although you could add a TC
Decent ones cost a bit .. you might want to rent ..or borrow

sachin

Standard Member
If you have a 400mm perhaps you would try it and post some pictures up for us to see.

Best bet is, go somewhere where there are no street lights - get away from the big city. It's good weather this time of year for it.

eduk

Distinguished Member
If you have a 400mm perhaps you would try it and post some pictures up for us to see.

Best bet is, go somewhere where there are no street lights - get away from the big city. It's good weather this time of year for it.

There are tonnes of images. Have a Google for 400mm moon photograph and you'll see that they are cropped. On the un-cropped ones the Moon appears small.

It really depends what you mean by "very close", for me "very close" means telescope and t-adapter. :)

eduk

Distinguished Member

sachin

Standard Member
Actually, here's the thing. I want to buy the 70-200MM canon EF 2.8 IS USM. Once I buy that - is there some converter, extender or adapter (whatever the word is) that would give me 200mm?

grey fox

I was having a go at this the other night. I'm not very good though as I've only just started photography as a hobby so sorry about the image quality, plus I've just nicked this off my facebook page quickly. I can post up the full sized pic when I get home if you'd like to see it.

I took the attached pic at 300mm which was full zoom on the lense I had, but I hope it gives you an idea. I'm just waiting for a clear night again so I can try and get a pic of the half moon.

Attachments

• 226907_1976037810490_1529455308_32120663_2016238_n.jpg
    226907_1976037810490_1529455308_32120663_2016238_n.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 91

senu

Distinguished Member

eduk

Distinguished Member
Actually, here's the thing. I want to buy the 70-200MM canon EF 2.8 IS USM. Once I buy that - is there some converter, extender or adapter (whatever the word is) that would give me 200mm?

There are cheaper 70-200mm f2.8 lenses from Sigma and Tamron. Couple it with a dedicated 2x tele-coverter and it would probably be around the same price as the Canon 70-200mm, but give you the option of using up to 400mm.

RajP

Distinguished Member
I have taken this with the Sigma 150-500.... all taken at 500mm.... which is effective to be 750mm due to the 1.5 crop factor.... this is a very nice lens in good light... not that expensive and does what I need it to do...

DSC_4025.jpg by raj-rexgold, on Flickr

another one..

2 .
DSC_8456-2.jpg by raj-rexgold, on Flickr

3. this is the uncropped version..

DSC_8456.jpg by raj-rexgold, on Flickr

This lens does a decent enough job for me, but I wish it could get more detail.. like this one...

Lunar :: lunarmosaic28pane-250of1000-1500.jpg picture by johns_bucketofphotos - Photobucket

I really enjoy taking the photos of the moon... have fun..
:thumbsup:
Raj

sachin

Standard Member
I have taken this with the Sigma 150-500.... all taken at 500mm.... which is effective to be 750mm due to the 1.5 crop factor.... this is a very nice lens in good light... not that expensive and does what I need it to do...
Raj

Seriously Raj, these are awesome pictures. But can I just ask what you mean about the 1.5 crop factor?

eduk

Distinguished Member
Seriously Raj, these are awesome pictures. But can I just ask what you mean about the 1.5 crop factor?

Wasn't that already answered in another thread of yours?

RajP

Distinguished Member
I'm on/have been on a budget and have had ok success with a manual (ie cheap!) 70-300 lens, and have just got a 1.4 kenko TC- I'll post the pic when I get home.

That is something I would also be interested in seeing.. would it work with my Sigma? :smashin:

Raj

RajP

Distinguished Member

eduk

Distinguished Member
Cheers Sachin, as to your question about crop factor, Eddiewood has already beaten you up with his reply, I will not intervene... :rotfl:

Oh come off it, it was just a playful tap. :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

JVC 4K projectors, Denon X3800 & Perlisten speaker reviews, adding a sub to 2-channel + AV/HiFi news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom