• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Shooting Indoor Event - need advice

monkeyleader

Established Member
Howdy,

Over the past few months I've been doing some work for the BBC Cambridge website which has been fun. They have asked me to cover the BBC Children in Need events this year (ice skating thing outdoors and a Come Dancing thing indoors) I've said yes but now I feel I'm out of my comfort zone. Never really done any indoor evening stuff and would appreciate any advice you can give.

Got a 50m 1.8 and the 24-105 f/4 but apart from that nothing that would be really suitable. Should I use flash ... oh heck what have I signed myself up for ..

Nige

Tobers

Prominent Member
First - congrats on getting called in to do more stuff for the BBC!

Light is the main thing to worry about. It'll be interesting to check out the location of the indoor thing beforehand and ask them what sort of lighting will be used. The 50 1.8 will be useful if it is quite dark, but at the expense of flexibility. You can always crop of course.

I found I did pretty well with some nighttime outdoor concert shots with my 24-104 F4. I used Tv mode, set the shutter to 1/50th or 1/80th to get as much sharpness as pos but give the chance of getting plenty of light in, and had the camera boost the ISO as required using the auto ISO function (I think you have that on the 40D). The IS on the 24-105 was also useful.

To be safe though, f/2.8 is good if you have it.

Flash - can look odd in an event type situation i.e. flashed subject but dark background looks artificial. Best to get the exposure right-ish in manual mode and then bounce the flash if the ceiling or walls are bright enough to get a more natural look. Also, watch your backgrounds - try and position yourself to have an uncluttered background if pos.

Last edited:

monkeyleader

Established Member
Cheers mate - lots to take in. I was thinking of going and taking a look aroudn the venue before hand. I don't actually have an external flash as yet (perhaps I'm screwed before I get going)

I'm hoping that the lighting in the room (given it's ballroom type setup) may save me a little (ie it won't be too dark)

If you think Flash is crticial then I could probably borrow one?

Nige

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom