1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shogun Assassin problem?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by lurker75, Feb 11, 2005.

1. lurker75

lurker75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last year I picked up the widescreen DVD of this film and I decided to watch it last night. Unfortunately I think there's a problem with the aspect ratio, like they have stretched it to wide or something? I mean usually I see big black bars on top and bottom of the picture on films which are 2.4: 1 ratio but this was ridiculous! Although I don't know exactly what the ratio was it looked like 3: 1, the black bars were that huge.

Does anybody else have this and have they had problems with it? Or is it supposed be that wide? I've never seen a film that wide before in my life , I thought the highest ratio currently being used was 2.45:1 .

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Lurker,

Don't panic, you're not going mad! Vipco, who were the company who released this on DVD, have ballsed-up big-time! :rolleyes: If you know anything about this infamous DVD and VHS company, you will know they have an awful reputation for putting out shoddy, censored and generally dire DVD releases.

With "Shogun Assassin", they have made a mess of the picture ratio. The only way you can cure it, as far as I can tell, is if you watch the film on a 4:3 screen, but set the DVD player to output the picture to 16:9 instead. This will output the film in the correct ratio!

Ultimately, it appears that Vipco don't care about the fans buying the discs, so I'd just put it down to a bad purchase. (It seems a lot of copies - several thousand - were released with this problem. Vipco aren't going to fix it, though!)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Pooch

3. lurker75

lurker75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Pooch.

As you say I can put it down to a bad purchase and at least I didn't pay much, £3.99 if I recall correctly.

You mentioned Vipco put out shoddy and censored DVDs, but according to the box it is supposed be uncut. is this incorrect as well?

I'm thinking about buying other "Lone Wolf and cub" DVDs however according to a friend Shogun assassin is apparently 2 movies cut into 1. Do you or anybody else know if this is true and which films were used to make Shogun Assassin ?

4. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I've got the six films that make up the Lone Wolf And Cub series and highly recommend them to everyone who has any experience with Asian cinema.

IIRC it's hacked from the first 2 films in the series. But I may wrong. :rolleyes:

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Lurker,

In answer to your questions:

1) Vipco's release of "Shogun Assassin" is uncut. However, Vipco has a notorious reputation in the Uk amongst horror film fans! They're more commonly known as "S*itco", because of that reputation! :laugh: That sums them up quite well, in my opinion. :lesson:

2) "Shogun Assassin" is made up of the first two films in the "Lone Wolf And Cub" movie series. The films, in chronological order, are:
    - SWORD OF VENGEANCE (Part 1)
    - BABYCART AT THE RIVER STYX (Part 2)
    - BABYCART TO HADES (Part 3)
    - BABYCART IN PERIL (Part 4)
    - BABYCART IN THE LAND OF DEMONS (Part 5)
    - WHITE HEAVEN IN HELL (Part 6)

There is a UK boxed set, available from Artsmagic, the label who have released all 6 films in the UK. However, you should be warned, that some of these 6 films have cuts for sexualised violence, and/or explicitly gory violence, by the BBFC. If the films were resubmitted, some of the cuts would probably be reinstated, but not all of them (The UK Region 2 discs all use the same prints and subtitles, from AnimEigo in the USA. AnimEigo released the films in the USA.) If you want the full, uncut versions, I'd recommend buying these films from the USA instead, if you can.

If you click here, you'll find lots of info that will be helpful to you, including a CD Soundtrack compilation for all 6 films! :clap:

Pooch

6. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I have several of the "uncut" VIPCO movie horror releases
    I spit on your grave, cannable ferox, etc
    all have been cut to ribbons, get the USA versions

7. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The UK dvds DONT use the same prints as the USA releases - the UK discs are just transfers from the old animeigo Laserdiscs that came out years back, Artsmagic paid animeigo for the transfers. The USA dvds have all new transfers taken from the original negatives and are simply Stunning !!

8. lurker75

lurker75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers everyone :thumbsup:

9. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Cap'n,

I stand corrected, sir! I bow down, to your superior knowledge! Cheers! :)

Pooch

10. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Pooch
    no problem m8 :D
    Just wanted people to know how great the picture is on these R1 dvds - really amazing considering how old the movies are and have been treated.