Shogun Assassin Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Mark Botwright, 28th August 2010.
Shogun Assassin is an acquired taste that won’t please all fans of chanbara cinema. If you like your samurai thrills more subdued and contemplative this will seem a garishly grisly trek into the world of feudal swordplay and bloodshed. If, however, you can look past the heavy handed editing of two superior films to make this one amalgamation then you will find a kitsch and bewitching blood-thirsty vision of Tokugawa era Japan complete with hammy voice acting and the inspired juxtaposition of a synth score laid over historic imagery.

The disc certainly shows an extra level of detail and improved colour fidelity, but it was never likely to rewrite history completely. There are still problems, namely print damage and the lack of detail in darker areas, but this remains the best the film has looked. Audio brings to life the Moog synthesiser and distinctive narration in a good manner, but does sometimes struggle to even out the higher frequencies of the action itself. The extras are minimal in quantity, but make up for that with two information-packed commentary tracks, but the omission of an in-depth look at the restoration process is a little disappointing, for me at least.

Those hungry for more of Kenji Misumi’s iconic imagery to arrive on Blu-ray will likely find this will keep the wolf from the door for the moment, and given it can be found at a budget price you won’t be paying with rivers of blood!
Read the full review...

I prefer the original language soundtrack + subtitles. Why on earth is there no choice on bluray!?

I only hope that if the 6 films in the set come out on bluray the audio options are in line with the excellent remastered dvd set I have otherwise I won't bother.

I prefer the original language soundtrack + subtitles. Why on earth is there no choice on bluray!?

I only hope that if the 6 films in the set come out on bluray the audio options are in line with the excellent remastered dvd set I have otherwise I won't bother.

The English dub is the original language soundtrack for Shogun Assassin, that's how it was released. Tmk it has never been released with the Japanese language intact as, being a butchering of two films, it would make no sense.

Intresting but i'll stick with all my Lone Wolf and Cub films on VHS for now :smashin: as butchering is indeed the correct term for this movie in any format :facepalm:

Intresting but i'll stick with all my Lone Wolf and Cub films on VHS for now :smashin: as butchering is indeed the correct term for this movie in any format :facepalm:

VHS????? :eek:

I suggest you at least make the move to DVD, the Eureka set is excellent.

Shogun Assassin will always be an acquired taste - butchered, yes, but bloody tasty! :D

VHS????? :eek:

I suggest you at least make the move to DVD, the Eureka set is excellent.

Shogun Assassin will always be an acquired taste - butchered, yes, but bloody tasty! :D

I know its just so hard to part with my lovely set of Warrior VHS :blush: but your so right the Eureka set is excellent, perhaps a copy wouldn't go amiss besides it would give me a good reason to sit through them all again, including that soundtrack in shogun which is indeed an acquired taste :D

Why not chain one of the scart cables, need to know which kit you have connected to advise further. For example if ones a dvdr connect the Freeview box TV scart to the DVDR vcr scart and the DVDR TV scart to the TV. To record from or simply view the freeview box output just select the vcr scart on the dvdr as the recording input.
<table style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 368pt;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="490"><col style="width: 368pt;" width="490"> <tbody><tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt; width: 368pt;" height="20" width="490">removal company</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">removal firm</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">house cleaners</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Thanks for your interesting insight into Mark's excellent review, and also, it's great to know where I can get my carpets cleaned -would you hop on a plane and come over to Ireland to clean mine - they're right mucky.....you numpty!!

I have ordered this, it better be good Mark :nono: :D

You got round to watching your Shogun tv series yet ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom