Shocking service tale (long)

Stuart Brooks

Standard Member
Reaction score
How's this for a nice demonstration of the way service departments operate. (I won't name names just now as I'm still waiting for a response).

In April last year I bought an IDTV, it was fine apart from some very poor analogue reception on certain channels. (As I previously got excellent reception I thought this was odd).

This also affected the analogue channels of the VCR, but when the TV was switched off, the analogue as recorded on the VCR suddenly became perfect.

I phoned my service centre, expecting to get some advice over the phone; they insisted on paying a visit, then claimed it was because I had other TVs on sockets elsewhere in the house and that was causing the interference.

I put up with the situation for a while, then further testing with a portable TV showed interference on it too while the IDTV was on. I called the service peaple again, they decided this was most odd, sent someone round who took the TV away.

After a week I phoned to inquire after its health, and was told in needed "a new case and an analogue tuner". I asked what problem they found and the telephone operator didn't know, and wouldn't contact the engineer.

After a few weeks the parts still hadn't come in, I phoned again, no joy, if I wanted a replacement TV instead they would need approval from the manfacturer.

After 28 days I realised that the terms of my contract meant that I could insist on a replacement, which I did.

I was dismayed to find the same problem!!

When I phoned the service centre the next day they said they had just repaired my original TV, it had gone back into stock and I couldn't get it back. I asked if it had definitely cured the problem, they went away and contacted the engineer, they said yes but I couldn't get it back.

Finally I was so cross I wrote a letter to the service organisation, and I got a letter back from the Customer Services Manager to say, there was never anything wrong with my set, have you tried double-screened cable. My original set had become damaged in transit that's why it needed a new case and tuner!!

I did find that double-screened coax solved the problem; however if that advice had been given in the first place I would not have been without the TV for a month.

Worse, after keeping me without a TV for that time, they were perfectly prepared to send me back a "damaged repaired" set back to me, while deliberately keeping me in the dark about its "accident". Who knows what other damage had been done inside with an impact sufficient to require a new casing and tuner.

I have sent another letter of complaint but after 5 weeks and a couple of phone calls I'm still waiting on a reply.

Anyway sorry for the long rant. If anyone's still with me, what sort of compensation should I be looking for from this retailer?

Stuart

Originally posted by Stuart Brooks
When I phoned the service centre the next day they said they had just repaired my original TV, it had gone back into stock

Have I understood this right??? This retailer took a TV from you, repaired it and then put it out for sale as new???????? :eek:

Whatever the case, if your set is damaged/faulty within 28 days, then you are entitled to a BRAND NEW replacement or a refund. These are your statutory rights.

No, they took away my TV to investigate the interference problem (it was 9 months old by this time). They didn't find a problem, but dropped it, then implied that the parts needed for the repair were in fact for the interference problem.

The parts took more than 28 days to arrive, meanwhile I was sitting at home without a TV, unaware of the fact it was dropped.

After 28 days I demanded a replacement purely on the strength of the fact I had done without so long. Had I not done this they would have returned the original dropped set to me, and not let bug. THEN my oroginal TV "became repaired" then because I had a replacement, they put the original set back into stock. (presumably as a manager's special, but after my story perhaps as a new set!)

The fact is I have solved the installation problem (albeit with a replacement set). I want to keep it, but I feel some compensation is due, as it was only their faulty diagnosis and careless handling that I did without a TV for a month, plus the fact they were going to fob me off with a TV which had been dropped, without telling me.

BTW this isn't some little independent retailer.

Stuart

In that case, I would read the terms and conditions of your warranty carefully and see if they have kept their side of the contract - then take it from there. CAB would be a good port of call once you've done this. Unfortunately, they do not have to provide a replacement set while your existing one is being replaced - that is why they make these a selling point on their extended warranties. AFAIK however, they do have to undertake the repair within a "reasonable" time period. Anyway, your first port of call should be the words of your warranty agreement (if not given to you, you may find it on their web site)....

Check your if your house insurance has included Legal advice as part of your policy. They will have qualified legal advisers with whom you can find out your options. I have used this before to good effect. I would also contact the local CAB office in the town where this service / dealer operates and outline the problem if you can be bothered with all the hassle.
By the way remember to post dealer name when you resolve things so we can all avoid them!!!

I also have a very shocking tale about a retailer .... but maybe I won't bore you all with it now!

PS: How do you change the "New Member" text in your profile?

I'm keeping a close eye on bad service threads. Squirrel God, I would suggest you read posts properly before leaping in there and name calling. If the retailer had been named in the original post you would have placed yourself in a tricky position legally.

Stuart, I would say that the retailer's mistake was to not inform you of the damage to the TV. But it's easy to understand how this might happen. As far as the retailer is concerned, the service dept would have just received a damaged TV and diagnosing any reported faults would therefore be impossible. So they would have to effect repairs and then test the TV. It obviously tested ok.
The retailer would then have make an insurance claim against the courier - something which itself take time and manpower. And at the end of the day they have shipped you a new TV and they have a repaired second hand unit worth considerably less than it's new value. It will most likely have gone into stock as used.
The retailer would almost certainly be out of pocket on your deal and yet because you returnd a TV which wasn't faulty, you expect compensation.
I would apologise to the company, point out their procedural shortcomings and be glad you've got a working TV.
I assume you weren't charged any return courier fees, restocking fee or extra charges for wasting their time returning a perfect unit?

Spectre;

I assume you weren't charged any return courier fees, restocking fee or extra charges for wasting their time returning a perfect unit?

I didn't send back the TV, I phoned for advice on the interference problem. They insisted in sending out a repairman twice, and on the second occasion, it was the repairman who wanted it shipped to the workshop, having had a chance to see the fault.

and they have a repaired second hand unit worth considerably less than it's new value

They were about to send this one back to me without my knowledge! It's only because I stood up for my rights I got a new TV.
Remember I only found out about the damage after i got the new set.
The retailer would almost certainly be out of pocket on your deal

I realise the retailer will have lost some money on this deal, but they were trying to avoid this by sending back the original set. I don't feel guilty that their service dept made a decision to bring the set into the workshop.

Perhaps I'm being too cynical and events panned out the way they did through poor communication alone.

But I don't think so!

Stuart

Yes I am glad I've got a TV I'm happy with, even though I feel my retailer "tried to put one over me". I paid a third of the price of those disgruntled Sony and Toshiba owners who are stuck with their faulty purchases. But I hope you understand I had to let off a little steam at the way I feel I was treated.

Stuart

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom